Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HOWITTRO View Post
    Can you tell me if its hard to hook up and unhook as I am told you have to be straight on with your truck
    If you are asking about the Reese, any approach angle is fine for hook up or unhooking.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the PullRite Superglide, you can only be out of line by 10 degrees. If you are a newbie like me it might take you a couple of moves to get straight but people tell me it gets easier. Good Luck

Rick
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Rick and Annie
    2017 Reflection 303RLS
    2016 RAM 3500 Laramie DRW
    6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
    B&W Companion Hitch

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I currently have an 2011 F-250 Crew cab Diesel with a short bed and a Reese slider hitch. I have been towing a fifth wheel for 5 years and have yet to use the slider part of my hitch. It all comes down to placement of the pin box and hitch. I say both because I actually had a hitch place and RV dealer tell me I could install a universal rail kit a couple of inches back to help prevent the collision issue with short beds. BAD idea!! It positions the weight of the trailer in the wrong place on the tow vehicle. That being said some of the newer trailers are designed with the short bed trucks in mind. So they place the pin box out and change the front cap to minimize contact issues. As I am about to own a 310 GK-R soon myself (on order) please let me know what you go with and how it works out. Thanks.
    Rolf
    Last edited by Ram&Lab2; 03-24-2017 at 02:07 PM.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I finally made a decision and went with a Demco Hijacker auto-slide that mounts in the factory puck system. I really went round and round with all the options and determined no one product is "perfect" for everyone and everything. I really wanted the Andersen Hitch to work for me with being light weight and its ease of hookup. For 98% of people it could work but it just seemed no matter how you set it up you gained in one area but sacrificed in another (i.e. do you want bed rail clearance, tight turning radius, tailgate clearance, etc) ... I didn't feel comfortable with a manual slide as some have problems with tailgate clearance/pin box and I knew there would be the time I didn't manually change it.... With the auto slide I just don't have to think about will I hit the cab on an off angle backup turn, or will I hit the bedrail, etc... Of course I now have to deal with 300lbs of hitch and making sure I am straight (=/-10deg) to hitch/unhitch and extra space in the truck bed...

Again, every hitch open has its pros and cons....
    2017 F350 Bronze Fire XLT short bed SuperCab, SRW power stroke Diesel, 3.31 rear end, 18" AT tires
    Demco hijacker autoslide hitch
    2018 303RLS VIN#: 573FR3329J3313328. Built 4/2017. Dual AC's, freestanding table/chairs
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram&Lab2 View Post
    I currently have an 2011 F-250 Crew cab Diesel with a short bed and a Reese slider hitch. I have been towing a fifth wheel for 5 years and have yet to use the slider part of my hitch. It all comes down to placement of the pin box and hitch. I say both because I actually had a hitch place and RV dealer tell me I could install a universal rail kit a couple of inches back to help prevent the collision issue with short beds. BAD idea!! It positions the weight of the trailer in the wrong place on the tow vehicle. That being said some of the newer trailers are designed with the short bed trucks in mind. So they place the pin box out and change the front cab to minimize contact issues. As I am about to own a 310 GK-R soon myself (on order) please let me know what you go with and how it works out. Thanks.
    Rolf
    One thing to remember is the Solitude is a wide body unit (102") not 96" so you do have more of a issue with cab clearance.
    2017 F350 Bronze Fire XLT short bed SuperCab, SRW power stroke Diesel, 3.31 rear end, 18" AT tires
    Demco hijacker autoslide hitch
    2018 303RLS VIN#: 573FR3329J3313328. Built 4/2017. Dual AC's, freestanding table/chairs
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Fireside Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ram&Lab2,
    I have the Solitude 310GK and a short bed 2016 GMC 3500 Denali. I use the Andersen Ultimate hitch and I've pulled the trailer about 2,000 miles in the last 3 months and I've had zero problems with cab/cap clearance. I have the Anderson adaptor on the pin rotated so the pin is to the cab, not the tailgate. When I installed the adaptor with the pin to the tailgate I would have experienced contact with the side rails of the truck when turning. Rotating the adaptor took care of that and again, NO issues with cab/trailer clearance. I estimate I can make a 70 degree turn with no problem.
    2017 Solitude 310GK; 2016 GMC Denali 1 ton; Andersen Ultimate Hitch

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 37 lb Andersen has been removed and installed by me at least 5 times in the last month, and I have a bad back.

I can get at least 70 degrees of turn and no issue with bed rail clearance with the pin forward of the ball on the coupler. I have a 2017 Short Bed SRW F-350 and Reflection 337RLS.

I recently modified the Andersen Hitch to accept the Ford Factory pucks by drilling 3.25" holes in the base with the blessing of Andersen. This was done as recommended and approved by Andersen, They also confirmed in writing that it would not affect the 5 million dollar supplemental warranty
    http://www.andersenhitches.com/uploa...ate%202015.pdf

Jerry
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1558.jpg   IMG_1490.jpg   IMG_1557.jpg  
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 2017 F350 standard bed. After researching and a recommendation from another forum member and friend, we purchased the Hensley BD3 Trailersaver hitch. It's an air ride hitch and although pricey, it's worth every penny. It rides like the trailer isn't even there, no jerking at all. Since the hitch absorbs the up and down and side to side jolts when we hit the potholes or crappy road surfaces, it probably saves the truck a lot of wear and tear on the suspension. We also have a new Solitude 310GK. We have had the trailer in some tight turn radius situations already and closely watched the truck cab to trailer front width, we have still maintained at least an 18" clearance. If we had to turn tighter than the situations we've been in so far, we'll just start over with our turn/back up process. I realize you have a short bed truck, but thought I'd throw in my 2 cents mainly for the air ride hitch consideration. All the best! Mary

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a RAM 2500 6'4" with the Pullrite and love. Just apply a light silicone before each use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Parker View Post
    I'm looking to pull a Solitude 310GK with a 2017 F350 Crew Cab Short Bed SWD. It has the 5wheel prep package. Any advice on whether I'm going to have trouble with a standard hitch? I'm thinking B&W that's made for the Ford. Am I going to wish I had a slider or some other trick hitch I don't know about yet? I'm getting the short bed so the truck only sticks one foot onto the sidewalk when parked in my driveway. 😳
    Hi there! I was wondering if you selected a hitch and what was your experience? We have *exactly* the same configuration as you do, and have tried 2 different hitches without finding a satisfactory configuration. Thanks in advance for the advice!

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast