User Tag List

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The first time that you're driving across California to Arizona and you're 100 miles between fuel stops and the next one is closed for repairs. That prompted me to get an extra tank.
    John & Carol Souza
    Happily Retired and currently living in Cottonwood, Northern California
    2015 Solitude 368RD
    2010 RAM 3500 DIESEL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good reason.
    R. H. & Jessica, Virginia http://blog.borderlinechaos.com/wp-c...dStatesMap.gif
    2017 Momentum 350m 5th Wheeler, B&W Companion 18k hitch
    2017 Ford F350 6.7L Powerstroke, SRW, 4x4, Long Bed

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruach-Elisha View Post
    What is the typical fuel capacity of your trucks when you decide to get an auxiliary tank? I have a 48 gallon fuel tank standard on my long bed. So far, I am feeling it should suffice. I have been getting about 9 miles to the gallon when towing which gives me a comfortable 350 mile towing range plus another "emergency" 80 miles of buffer if needed. What is the point at which you make the decision to go with an auxiliary tank?
    I bought a 35 gallon auxiliary fuel tank for my 05 Chevy. It's fuel tank was 25 gallons. My 2013 Chevy has a 36 gallon fuel tank.

I think if I had a 48 gallon tank I would not have bothered with an auxiliary tank, however, when bucking a strong head wind and towing places with some grade to it my mileage has been as low as 3 mpg.

I thought I had developed a fuel leak until I stepped out of the cab and was nearly knocked down by the wind.

Dallas

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by D2Reid View Post
    I have a 2013 Duramax that does not throw codes because the gauge stayed full.

In doing my auxiliary tank I envisioned this happening and decided my mitigation procedure would be to pull off to the side of the road, turn the engine off, then back on. How would it know I didn't pump fresh fuel in.

Do you know the codes it is throwing? I would like to figure out why there is a difference in behavior. As I understand it you have the LML model Duramax, same as I do.

Dallas
    I don't have the actual code, but it thinks the fuel guage is defective. The fuel gauge went to empty, and alerted me I was almost out of fuel. It also turned on the check engine light. After a few miles the guage went back to full but still had check engine. I had to shut off the aux tank and drive maybe 75 miles before the light went out. Cycling the ignition had no effect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my opinion that would be enough range for me. We had a range of less than 200 miles when driving into 50 mph headwinds.
    Becky, BoBo and Mike
    2015 Solitude 369RL
    2020 GMC 2500 Duramax
    Anderson Ultimate 5th wheel hitch

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oldenkam View Post
    I don't have the actual code, but it thinks the fuel guage is defective. The fuel gauge went to empty, and alerted me I was almost out of fuel. It also turned on the check engine light. After a few miles the guage went back to full but still had check engine. I had to shut off the aux tank and drive maybe 75 miles before the light went out. Cycling the ignition had no effect.
    My fuel gauge has done the same thing twice. The first time it really freaked my out, I was a long way away from a gas station. At the next potty stop when I turn the engine off and let it set for about 15 minutes the gauge went back to normal. The next time it happened I pulled over, shut the engine off, restarted it and the gauge went back normal.

No check engine light either time. I wish I knew enough to know what the difference is.

Dallas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought a 35 gallon auxiliary fuel tank for my 05 Chevy. It's fuel tank was 25 gallons. My 2013 Chevy has a 36 gallon fuel tank.

I think if I had a 48 gallon tank I would not have bothered with an auxiliary tank, however, when bucking a strong head wind and towing places with some grade to it my mileage has been as low as 3 mpg.

I thought I had developed a fuel leak until I stepped out of the cab and was nearly knocked down by the wind.

Dallas
    Wow, that is a stiff wind to fight.
    R. H. & Jessica, Virginia http://blog.borderlinechaos.com/wp-c...dStatesMap.gif
    2017 Momentum 350m 5th Wheeler, B&W Companion 18k hitch
    2017 Ford F350 6.7L Powerstroke, SRW, 4x4, Long Bed

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup, highway 54 North out of Van Horn Texas to Guadalupe Mountains National Park. 2000' elevation gain and 35-40 mph quartering head wind. I couldn't understand why the truck was overheating.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup, highway 54 North out of Van Horn Texas to Guadalupe Mountains National Park. 2000' elevation gain and 35-40 mph quartering head wind. I couldn't understand why the truck was overheating.

Dallas
    Last edited by D2Reid; 04-30-2017 at 07:57 PM. Reason: duplicate

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My fuel gauge has done the same thing twice. The first time it really freaked my out, I was a long way away from a gas station. At the next potty stop when I turn the engine off and let it set for about 15 minutes the gauge went back to normal. The next time it happened I pulled over, shut the engine off, restarted it and the gauge went back normal.

No check engine light either time. I wish I knew enough to know what the difference is.

Dallas
    Problem solved with this pump. Transfers 3/4 tank in about 30 minutes, and if I forget to turn it off, it won't pressurize past the fuel cap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast