Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is more info on 12 volts.
    The 12 volt

And a better chart.
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbiker View Post
    Here is more info on 12 volts.
    The 12 volt

And a batter chart.

Thanks orbiker....that's exactly what I was looking for. Apparently just measuring the voltage isn't a perfect approach but I think it will provide me a guideline measurement for where I'm at.

The battery article was very helpful...need to move on to part 2 as he discusses some projects that will probably be in my future.
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7 V8

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J&G garage View Post
    In determining which type batteries to use you first should do an energy audit of your trailer. For this you will need some sort of battery monitor so you can check the current draw of each 12 volt device in the trailer. With this information you can figure how many hours (or partial hours) a day you use that device. Add those numbers up and you have your amp hour requirements for a day. If your Interstate battery is like ours it's probably between 75 and 100 amp hours. So two in parallel will give you the same 75 to 100 amp hours of useable power. Trojan T-105s are rated at 225 amp hours so two of those in series will in theory give you 225 useable amp hours. So a little more out of the Trojans. The stock battery box will not support the Trojan T-105. It's too small. So a new box would be in order with the Trojans. With two 6 volt batteries you lose your 12 volt system if one battery goes south on you where as you can run some of your stuff on a single 12 volt battery. You have decide the likelyhood of a battery failure for yourself. As far as the 1,2,both switch it is my opinion that you are asking for grief installing one of those. You have to be mindful of the position of the switch at all times or risk under charging or over discharging a battery. Remember you can only use half the amp hour capacity of a lead acid battery before recharging so you would need to monitor their use very carefully if you start switching between them. No problem with leaving them connected together all the time so there is really no advantage to the switch. If you use 12 volt batteries and have a failure of one of them you can simply move the trailer cables to the good battery as you will probably be going into the battery box to troubleshoot the situation anyway. Hope this help and as usual, YMMV.
    I just re-read my post above and noticed a typo. It should read that a pair of Trojan T-105s wired in series will give you about 112 usable amp hours not 225. Don't want anybody to think that Trojan batteries are magic.
    Jim & Georgianne
    N. California
    2016 Reflection 29RS
    2008 Ford F-250 Super Duty PSD
    B&W Companion hitch
    Rubber turtle with no name

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to post this question here and over on the Imagine topics as well. Here'e the question:

I have the Imagine 2600 RB which came with one group 24 Interstate battery. What other batteries have people installed in the 2600RB that fit in the battery location they provide? I understand that a group 27 won't fit abut what about other 12V or 6V that have more aH capacity.
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7 V8

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by avetraveler View Post
    I'm going to post this question here and over on the Imagine topics as well. Here'e the question:

I have the Imagine 2600 RB which came with one group 24 Interstate battery. What other batteries have people installed in the 2600RB that fit in the battery location they provide? I understand that a group 27 won't fit abut what about other 12V or 6V that have more aH capacity.
    avetraveler - unless GDRV has recently downsized their standard battery box, it is sized for a group 27 battery.
    BTW, posting the same question in two places often causes confusion since many track the forum by "what's new?" which picks up all sub-groups.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    avetraveler - unless GDRV has recently downsized their standard battery box, it is sized for a group 27 battery.
    BTW, posting the same question in two places often causes confusion since many track the forum by "what's new?" which picks up all sub-groups.

Rob
    One small thing Rob, GDRV doesn't supply the battery, the dealer does. GD may call for 27, but that might necessarily be what the buyer gets.
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by offtohavasu View Post
    One small thing Rob, GDRV doesn't supply the battery, the dealer does. GD may call for 27, but that might necessarily be what the buyer gets.
    Curtis - agreed. In fact our dealer supplied a group 24 battery rather than the specified group 27 for our Reflection. My point was that a group 27 will fit in the OEM battery box . . . at least on my Reflection.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by offtohavasu View Post
    Yep, "my" dealer tried that one on me today. The battery was all buttoned up for our checkout. I asked what size battery? I got a " what r u talking about" loook. I said group 24 or 27? They said 24. I said GD specs a group 27, I would like it changed. They responded well we know the solitudes get a 27 but not the reflection. My response was where are my manuals, let me prove it to you.... they are swapping the group 24 out.... Dealers.... don't get me started...
    2017 F350 Bronze Fire XLT short bed SuperCab, SRW power stroke Diesel, 3.31 rear end, 18" AT tires
    Demco hijacker autoslide hitch
    2018 303RLS VIN#: 573FR3329J3313328. Built 4/2017. Dual AC's, freestanding table/chairs
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good reason when you buy a rig to just forgo the crappy battery they give you and give me the cash value. I ended up getting $140 back for a group 27 Interstate (rip off IMO).

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had 3 Optimus Blue top batteries in my camper. They were less then a year old. I left 1 in the camper when I traded it in for the Momentum. I traded the cheep battery the dealer was going to put in the rig for an installation of my 2 Optimus batteries.
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast