Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ALScott View Post
    Ok, was still wrestling with going to F250 but after writing it down I don't see where I have a choice.
    F150 at dealer has payload of 1,400 lbs and I am guessing 2017 F250 will have at least as much as the 2016 I am test driving which is 2,000 lbs. We are looking at 2800BH so I have given it a weight 6,500lbs loaded which is hitch weight of 845.
    People, gas, and cargo of 800lbs
    + WDH of 100 = 900lbs
    + hitch weight 845
    total of 1,745 lbs.

So on F150 I am 345lbs in the red and F250 225lbs in the black.

Am I looking at this correctly and also correct that F250 is only real option?
    Your WDH will distribute 2/3 of the total hitch weight to the TV (1/3 to each axle, front and rear), the remaining 1/3 is distributed to the trailer axles. So your payload will be ~1450 lbs. Still too close for me.
    Phil & Clisty Porter
    Indianola, IA
    2015 Silverado 2500HD
    2017 Imagine 2950RL

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another thing to look at is the weight of the truck vs the trailer. You do not want the tail wagging the dog too much..........
    2017 Reflection 303 RLS
    TV 2017 Nissan Titan XD CC Diesel 4x4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffdawgfan View Post
    You are sort in that "tweener" area for a tow vehicle. I was in similar need. Looked at all the 3/4 tons and then went and drove the new Titan XD with the 5L Cummins Diesel. Never looked back. It is towing my 303RLS like a dream and does not drive like a tank when I am not towing.
    I test drove the Titan XD and really liked it. It just didn't have enough capacity for the 5th wheel my DW decided to purchase. The Titan XD is absolutely worth looking at: it was comfortable, drove well, has a reliable engine, was reasonably quiet, and seemed a great value for the money. I drove a lot of 2016 & 2017 model trucks from the Titan XD, Chevy, Dodge, and Ford before settling on my 2017 F350 (which I love), and the only other truck including from Ford, that I would have purchased without reservation was the Titan XD: it just did not have the numbers I needed.
    R. H. & Jessica, Virginia http://blog.borderlinechaos.com/wp-c...dStatesMap.gif
    2017 Momentum 350m 5th Wheeler, B&W Companion 18k hitch
    2017 Ford F350 6.7L Powerstroke, SRW, 4x4, Long Bed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by deserthi View Post
    I really don't understand why so many guys try to get so close to "what is the max a truck can tow". I will be pulling a 315RTLS. I would not even consider a F250 for that load. My new Dodge 3500 4X4 diesel is enough truck with suspension, engine and brute strength that I never have to worry going over the Rockies or whatever....just my 2 cents.
    You might be surprised to find the f250 and f350 SRW are almost identical in towing weight. Same with Dodge 2500/3500. Only real diffferrence is when going DRW.........

http://www.fleet.ford.com/resources/...tyPU_Sep28.pdf
    2018 Momentum 376th
    2017 Ford F-450 DRW Platinum 4x4
    B&W Companion OEM hitch
    Airlift 7500xl airbags and wireless controller

Sold: 2014 F-250/2016 350m

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike662b View Post
    You might be surprised to find the f250 and f350 SRW are almost identical in towing weight. Same with Dodge 2500/3500. Only real diffferrence is when going DRW.........

http://www.fleet.ford.com/resources/...tyPU_Sep28.pdf
    You're right, there's not much difference in published Maximum Trailer Towing weight between a SRW 250/350 but that's just one factor. There is a BIG difference in Payload between the SRW 250 and the SRW 350.

The GVWR of my Reflection at 13,999 lbs does not exceed the 15,700# Published (5th wheel) Towing weight of my F-350.
    My loaded Pin Weight plus passengers, hitch and cargo (2,650# + 200# + 50# + 200# = 3,100 lbs) gives me a comfortable margin and does not exceed the 3,500 lb Payload of my door sticker.

I'm not the weight police. I know that many people tow overweight. For me I wouldn't feel comfortable exceeding any of the published weight limits or recommend that to anyone else. I was impressed that LazyDays wanted a picture of my Truck's Safety Compliance Label to verify I didn't exceed Payload before letting me hitch up. I also had to sign the document confirming I was aware of the payload limits.

Here's my 2017 F-350 CCSB SRW payload sticker and a payload sticker of a 2016 F-250 CCSB SRW Platinum I was looking at. There's over 1,500 lbs of difference.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2905.jpg   IMG_2824.jpg  
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike662b View Post
    Are you saying the payload rating is almost the same for an F250 and F350??? Big difference for GMC/Chevrolet. With 5th wheel towing, it's all about payload ratings. Any newer diesel has the power to pull it easily.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I drove a F250 home today with just over 2,100 lbs in payload. I never want us to go too big on a trailer or fifth wheel. If it won't tow it safely I don't want it. The one I ended up with has the high capacity tow package which adds a dana rear axle and an additional leaf spring. jeffdawgfan the Ford dealer you talked to was wrong. My tow package gives me an additional overload spring over standard F250 but because of some kind of spring rate etc they do not compare to F350. Over the last two days of buying a F250, returning and coming home with another today I can confidently say dealers don't know much about what they are selling. The stuff that went on with the F250 I returned was truly shocking.

Have to say, still this is the best forum ever. You guys are great. I think I have to buy GD to have a reason to stay on here!

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Porter4dmfd View Post
    Your WDH will distribute 2/3 of the total hitch weight to the TV (1/3 to each axle, front and rear), the remaining 1/3 is distributed to the trailer axles. So your payload will be ~1450 lbs. Still too close for me.
    By too close I assume you mean the the 1/2 ton truck? Also, how do y'all like the 2500RL? We are concerned about the very tight TV placement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I drove a F250 home today with just over 2,100 lbs in payload. I never want us to go too big on a trailer or fifth wheel. If it won't tow it safely I don't want it. The one I ended up with has the high capacity tow package which adds a dana rear axle and an additional leaf spring. jeffdawgfan the Ford dealer you talked to was wrong. My tow package gives me an additional overload spring over standard F250 but because of some kind of spring rate etc they do not compare to F350. Over the last two days of buying a F250, returning and coming home with another today I can confidently say dealers don't know much about what they are selling. The stuff that went on with the F250 I returned was truly shocking.

Have to say, still this is the best forum ever. You guys are great. I think I have to buy GD to have a reason to stay on here!

True story here. I'm a full-time Firefighter/Paramedic and work 24hr on 48hr off shifts. When I purchased my 2015 Ram 3500 I was offered a job part-time by the sales manager at the dealership we purchased from because I made his sales guys and service guy look very incompetent. I really don't know that much more than the average truck guy, but I do know the numbers. Those guys had zero clue on payloads, towing numbers, torque and HP ratings for the different trans options, leaf springs vs coils, etc. It was honesty sad! The salesman who I used was truly a nice guy and easy to work with. He was telling me that they really don't get training on the vehicle specs, just how to close the sale and following up with potential customers. Its up to them to self educate on the vehicles but time doesn't really allow because they are generally short staffed. Went back 6 months later for my first service and both salesmen we worked with were gone. Go figure.
    2015 Ram SRW 3500 4x4 Cummins
    B&W Patriot 16K
    2011 Crossroads Cruiser 29BHX (Traded)
    2017 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Scott & Jennifer
    Newnan GA

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ALScott,

Congratulations on your new truck purchase. Which model is it? XL/XLT/Lariat/Platinum/KR?

You should have no problem pulling ANY Imagine Trailer with it! I'm glad you found one with the Trailer HD pkg with the Dana vs the Sterling axle and the extra leaf on the rear spring.

Get at least 1,000 miles on it before towing to get everything seated in the engine properly and get the brakes broken in.

Some advice on your new truck. When towing make sure you engage tow mode, if it did engage on its own,by pushing the button on the end of the shift level. Second, engage the engine brake by pushing the button at the top left above the center. The engine brake not only helps when going down hills but also assists when you normally apply brakes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12