Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ford prep 5th wheel hitch adapter

Anyone have any recommendation for one of the adapters that permit a standard rail mount hitch to be used on a F350 with the prep (puck or goose) package?

The 2011 F350 that we bought a while back came with the Ford/Reese 25k hitch already in the bed. We have never been able to gets it to release from the pucks. We almost missed the first trip of the season because we could not get the hitch to latch due to a badly rusted and broken spring. It has now become necessary to get the hitch removed and either rebuild it or replace it. We will probably just use our old 20k Curt but it will need the adapter.

I am currently thinking about the Curt adapter that plugs into the goose connector just because I am fed up with the pucks. Maybe not the best reason to make that decision.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk
    John & Jill
    (5 Dachshunds and 1 confused Pit Bull - Moose, Barney, Spanky, Willie, Guri and Brixx)
    2015 Reflection 337RLS
    2011 F350 Lariat DRW, 6.7L PSD
    Phillipsburg, Ohio, USA

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're not averse to getting a new hitch, we're very happy with the factory puck system (PullRite OE series hitch). Just get the old hitch removed and clean up the puck passages - probably just some corrosion in there.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Reese Puck-to-Rail adapter for the FORD OEM fith wheel prep that has worked well. I just bought an Anderson 3220 and gooseball so I don't need it anymore. I would love to sell it an a nice discount, but not sure how to package it.
    https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...e/RP30156.html
    2015 Ford F350 SRW CrewCab SB 6.7 PSD, Andersen Ultimate fifth wheel hitch
    2012 Cougar High Country 299RKS, Mor/Ryde pin box, 300w of solar
    1/77 Armor Bn, 5th Mech, I Corps, RVN

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Rob. Should be able to clean everything up. Once everything is clean just spray some white lithium grease where it mounts to the frame. It should prevent it from seizing up. If you go with the adapter keep in mind it will raise your hitch at least a couple of inches.

Bob
    2023 Reflection 150 Series 260RD
    2022 Ford F350 SRW CC 4X4 Lariat 6.7 camper package, B&W Companion RVK3300

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Double post.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone. Its clear that no one has had this happen to them. I have poured gallons on rust stuff down in the cam area, what little bit you can access anyway, and still can I my get 3 out of 4 turned. They all twist a little but won't turn. Because of the ridiculous design of the hitch, there is no way to turn the cams except but the soft steel arms, which just bend. The soft steel wrench, just bends too. There is no way to get a 1 1/2" wrench in there to turn the lock nuts. Reese support only offers that "it shouldn't be that tight". Yeah, I know that except that it is and the horrible design of the hitch does not allow access for service.

Now, I have to find somewhere to take this thing. I need it out TODAY. I can guarantee that a Reese hitch, adapter, or any other Reese product will not go in its place.

John & Jill
    (5 Dachshunds and 1 confused Pit Bull - Moose, Barney, Spanky, Willie, Guri and Brixx)
    2015 Reflection 337RLS
    Phillipsburg, Ohio, USA

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't had the problem you describe but I did have a Reese hitch that gave me lots of trouble. I had trouble getting mine to release from the king pin. I finally got fed up and sold it. I know the wrench they supply is useless to use for your problem. It's meant to be used as an adjustment tool only.
    I now have the B&W Companion for the Ford 5th wheel puck system. It works very well. You can easily get a wrench on the cams to adjust. Unlike the Reese they are on the outside of the base. It's an option once you get the Reese hitch removed.
    Good luck.
    Bob

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by grampscamper View Post
    I haven't had the problem you describe but I did have a Reese hitch that gave me lots of trouble. I had trouble getting mine to release from the king pin. I finally got fed up and sold it. I know the wrench they supply is useless to use for your problem. It's meant to be used as an adjustment tool only.
    I now have the B&W Companion for the Ford 5th wheel puck system. It works very well. You can easily get a wrench on the cams to adjust. Unlike the Reese they are on the outside of the base. It's an option once you get the Reese hitch removed.
    Good luck.
    Bob
    Thanks. I have a perfectly good 20k Curt hitch sitting in the garage that I was using before I got this truck with the Reese already installed. I just need to decide which adapter to get. Certainly, I have been looking to make sure that the cams are readily accessible.

I took it to the shop today to get it removed. They could not see a way to get the cams to turn either. I left it with them tonight. They might have to cut off the tops in order to get the rest out.

John & Jill
    2015 Reflection 337RLS
    Phillipsburg, Ohio, USA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like my B&W Companion for the Ford 5th wheel puck system as well.
    R. H. & Jessica, Virginia http://blog.borderlinechaos.com/wp-c...dStatesMap.gif
    2017 Momentum 350m 5th Wheeler, B&W Companion 18k hitch
    2017 Ford F350 6.7L Powerstroke, SRW, 4x4, Long Bed

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs View Post
    I have the Reese Puck-to-Rail adapter for the FORD OEM fith wheel prep that has worked well. I just bought an Anderson 3220 and gooseball so I don't need it anymore. I would love to sell it an a nice discount, but not sure how to package it.
    https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...e/RP30156.html
    Did you already sell this?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast