User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    denham45

Slide out covers

So we have been told by a few people that we need slide out covers. How true is this ? We are newbie's so really don't know. What are the advantages or disadvantages? We were also told if its raining we should move the slides in. If we do need slide covers what are the best options for the diy. How would you mount on the trailer to hit a stud or support how ever they are built. I don't want a lot of holes to figure it out. I would guess there would be supports right next to openings to attach. How do you measure for the covers to get the right fit, and I read somewhere that the have some special brackets to mount on the grand design. Thanks for the help in advance. Jeremy

PS. We will be using every other weekend will be 4.5 day trips along with 5-15 day trips thru the year

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you camp under trees especially pine, then you DO need them. If you camp in open fields, then you DO need them.
    Reason 1, under trees - keeps debris from being dragged into trailer when retracting slides. Keeps rain off too.
    Reason 2, open fields - helps cool the top of the slide, if no topper then sun beats down directly on top, causing heat transfer to slide area.
    Just my 2cents.

As for installation etc, plenty of places on internet to get all those answers, and there are plenty. Yes on my Reflection 303RLS a special bracket was required on kitchen slide, per Grand Design. No problem in getting it though.
    Don & Judy
    Charlotte - SPCA Special

2014 Reflection 303RLS
    2019 F350 Dually CC LB 6.7L

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had slide covers on a few RVs they help keep stuff off the roof of slide outs. Leaves occasionally find their way in. They are noisy when the wind blows. And eventually, 5 or 6 years fabrics has to be replaced. I never pull my slide outs in for rain.
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi Jeremy, and welcome to the forum (first post)! What Grand Design product do you own or are considering purchasing? I have never used slide toppers, and my slide outs have never had a problem. To me, they are just another gadget to purchase and maintain.

I did a search on the forum, and found these threads which might interest you:

http://www.mygrandrv.com/for...ghlight=topper

There are many more if these threads don't answer your questions. You can do a search on "Topper", and several pages load.

Once again, welcome.

Jim

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you live anywhere like us (Oklahoma), you can have stuff blown in under them, which becomes a real pain in the rear to clean out. I just broom them off before they come in. I have had to sweep them as they're going in before due to so much stuff falling however.. With frequent 20-30mph winds, we decided against them.

Pine needs however, are the bane of my existence. Since moving out of Arkansas, it's less of a worry however lol
    2015 Laramie 3500 MegaCab 4x4 DRW Maximum Steel
    Aisin | 4.10 | Air Assist | 37,800 GCWR
    2015 Grand Design Solitude 365DEN
    https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1459/...75d6a83b_n.jpg

denham45
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    Hi Jeremy, and welcome to the forum (first post)! What Grand Design product do you own or are considering purchasing? I have never used slide toppers, and my slide outs have never had a problem. To me, they are just another gadget to purchase and maintain.

Once again, welcome.

Jim
    Thanks , we purchased a reflection 303rls about a month ago

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    denham45--we had them on our class c Winnebago we bought new in 2000 and especially where it was windy, I still had to clean off the slide top after already cleaning off the slide topper (double work) when we camped in areas with trees and/or it had blowing rain.

With our 303 we do not have toppers.......I use a ladder and electric blower at home or the ladder and RV wash brush or push broom when camping.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have never understood why someone would have to clean off the top of a slide topper before bringing in the slide. On all my units I have had with toppers, when bringing in the slide, the topper rolls in such a manner as to shed all debris and water that has accumulated on top. Even ice will come off. Just don't be standing under the slide coming in, you just might get a cold shower (don't ask how I know this) As for having or not, personal preference. For me, its a must have. I am too old and stiff to be climbing up a ladder or getting on the roof to clean off anything that high up. Besides, I don't have to carry a ladder, a leaf blower, long poles, etc. My basement is full enough.
    Don & Judy
    Charlotte - SPCA Special

2014 Reflection 303RLS
    2019 F350 Dually CC LB 6.7L

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don--I know what you mean about getting the morning outdoor cold water shower !!! My wife was taking in the slide on the minihome and I was watching outside due to being close to some branches not wanting them to get caught. It was after this that I started the cleaning option. Being a classic car guy I have always taken excessive care of my stuff ensuring clean, dry, etc........overboard for the RV stuff, probably so. However, an upside is that when I have sold any of our vehicles, RVs, boats, etc., we have always gotten more than top book and sold W/I days.

I mounted a 7" fiberglass step ladder using rubber tie downs to the underside of the basement storage so it is essentially out of the way. Same with the push broom just to the front compartment roof. I found that in the last few years, climbing to the roof using the rear ladder and walking around the roof is not as exhilarating as it once was !!!

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just installed them on my 2017 337rls. GD already had the rails installed so really simple to do. If you have dealt with pine needles you know those slide seals just let them come on in. Highly recommend adding them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast