Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LCBoyer, you are right, they are forward adjusting where car drum brakes are not. I am going to check as TucsonJim said above, there very well could be another problem, but it seems like everything is engaging and disengaging just like it should. When I had the set of self adjusting on the bench playing with them it just seemed like they adjusted themselves out way too easy, seemed to me like they would always be tight, always dragging. I feel better setting them how I want them, I'm always messing around with things like that anyway.
    Take care,
    Chris
    2017 Momentum 350M
    2016 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD Dually w/ B&W Companion Hitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CMJ2800BH View Post
    LCBoyer, you are right, they are forward adjusting where car drum brakes are not. I am going to check as TucsonJim said above, there very well could be another problem, but it seems like everything is engaging and disengaging just like it should. When I had the set of self adjusting on the bench playing with them it just seemed like they adjusted themselves out way too easy, seemed to me like they would always be tight, always dragging. I feel better setting them how I want them, I'm always messing around with things like that anyway.
    Chris, are you saying you like to tinker?
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, sitting around doesn't suit me much.
    Take care,
    Chris
    2017 Momentum 350M
    2016 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD Dually w/ B&W Companion Hitch

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine adjust in both forward and reverse.
    Jim & Georgianne
    N. California
    2016 Reflection 29RS
    2008 Ford F-250 Super Duty PSD
    B&W Companion hitch
    Rubber turtle with no name

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was talking to my local dealer parts manager and he claims they have had a lot of problems with the early versions of the self adjusting brakes and have replaced many sets.
    Thats why I was asking about what our trailers have. I will pull drums and take a look. I will update after. Thanks all.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thought I would chime in here. I am interested in the self-adjusting brakes as an upgrade, but when I contacted my purchase dealer I was told that they do not do that unless it came that way from the factory. She even said an axle swap was necessary, which I thought was just plain wrong. So I have been talking to another dealer who has been willing to work with me. He talked to GD and they indicated they had no problem with doing such an upgrade. Here are some additional things I turned up in my research, and emails with the new dealer.

My model is GD 303RLS Reflection. The newer Reflection units are coming from the factory with self-adjusting brakes. Unfortunately, mine missed the swap over even though it is a 2017. You can tell by the axle designator if it comes with self-adjusters or not. This is an example of one that has the self-adjusters LCI54-SBSA- xxxxxxx. My axle is LCI52-SB-xxxxxxx. The SA stands for self-adjusting.

So I am hoping that the parts/labor are reasonable for the dealer to make the upgrade. I define reasonable as $600-$700. I know it does not appear difficult, but I really have no desire to do the work. It is winter here, and living in a condo I do not really have any place to do that kind of work; not to mention I am in my 60's and do not find that kind of thing enjoyable anymore. Others may disagree.

I had thought about disc brakes, but have concerns about the long down times. Not so much rust which will disappear with the first brake action, but seals that might degrade or dry out without regular use, and the additional complexity. I would expect electric over hydraulic to cost more, so for our current situation self-adjusting drums seem like a reasonable cost/benefit over manual adjusters.

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    John303. First of all, I see this is your first post. Welcome to the forum! I installed self adjusting brakes on my 2014 337RLS back in 2015. No special axle changes were needed at all. Lippert even advertises their self adjusting brakes as direct replacements. I purchased mine on sale at Camping world for $72 apiece and installed them myself. It only took a few hours and I had the whole unit changed over for $288 plus tax. I put 20,000 miles on those brakes and they had very little wear. They stopped the trailer just fine too. I'd do the change again in a heart beat. If you're ever near Tucson, give me a shout and we can change them out in an afternoon.

Jim

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    John, you can purchase the exact same self adjusting brakes that Grand Design uses from E-Trailer for about $200 including new mounting hardware and free shipping.
    https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Bra...EBRK-7-SA.html

These are for 5200-7000lb axles and have the same part number and manufacturer as the units on my 2017 315RLTS. I just purchased these last Friday to replace the greasy brakes that came from the factory and GDRV is picking up the tab.

I'm in my 60's also and don't relish the idea of doing this job but looks like I'm gonna.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why can't you just buy the adjuster?

It doesn't make sense that the manufacturer would make 2 different assemblies.
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Site Sponsor
    Kerrville, TX RV parks through April 2020
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are a lot of hardware and linkage/cable additions that make up the self-adjusting brake assembly. The etrailer assemblies work great after break-in! There seems to be a world of difference how and if GDRV and Lippert compensate those of us who need new brake assemblies.
    AKA Steve and Lynne
    Storm the Black Lab
    Reflection 337 RLS vin 573FR3628E3300393
    2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Longbox
    6.7 Cummins, 68 RFE transmission
    B and W Companion, Air Lifts

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast