User Tag List

Page 95 of 103 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to bring this one up to date...

Many Westlake tire failures reported lately in the 2,000 -15,000 mile range.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine failed at less than 3 years in service and less than 10,000 miles. Tread separation with no loss of air pressure. Caught it before it tore up my trailer. Switched to Goodyear Endurance, made in the United States of America.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    Tom Holt, who is the new GDRV marketing director posted this tidbit on the Facebook group today:

"In regards to tires the failure rate for Westlake’sis less than other ST tire manufacturers and is less than the Goodyear Endurance which as not even been on the market for a whole year."

I'd be very curious where those numbers come from and have been trying to verify it with no luck. Does anybody know where you can get real facts and data on tire failures?

Jim
    Jim - did you ever ask Tom to provide supporting documentation or was this just "marketing speak ?"

It would be quite interesting to learn more and see the facts as Tom apparently has.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toes in the water View Post
    Jim - did you ever ask Tom to provide supporting documentation or was this just "marketing speak ?"

It would be quite interesting to learn more and see the facts as Tom apparently has.

Dan
    In September, he made a post on Social Media that said five GY Endurance failures were reported in just one week. I asked him for the source of his information and he stated "RV Fifth Wheels". I asked him for further clarification so I could read about the failures. The answer was "Crickets"... At the time, I searched every forum and social media site I could find. I could find no information on any GY Endurance failures with the exception of one failure where the owner stated the tire had been punctured.

Jim

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As an observation of reading tires threads on this forum for a few years, it has always caught my attention as to the much greater % of negative Westlake posts there have been for posters who have done no or little prior posting and seem to dive in out of the night and are gone to never post again except more negatives regarding Westlakes or something else.

They also with very very few exceptions, never share any pictures of the tire and/or RV damage even when asked to do so. In this day in age with all the phone camera usage, I find it hard to believe that there are not pictures to share with the insurance carrier, Lionshead, body shop, RV dealer, etc. or simply to to substantiate claims or just to have for other reasons.

Often, these are also some of the same folks who seem to jump on negative GDRV issues as previously communicated by those trusted forum members using nearly identical verbage or more generic terms. And again, with rare exceptions there are no pictures.

This does not mean that these are not legitimate posts and is in no way meant to marginalize the communications. Some folks do not get on the forum much and some never post other than to do so for negative items or for opportunities to share challenges and possibly help to improve the issue at hand. The legitimate information shared by anyone is certainly appreciated and appropriate to share for members, GDRV, and other stakeholders to learn from and act accordingly going forward.

Based on the lack of factual data on Westlake ST tire failures produced in the last 6 or so years (still waiting for someone to share this......not the old data of which is not applicable to current generation Westlake ST tires as shared on this forum several times over the years) we upgraded to 6k axles and new 16" Westlakes in June, 2018. Our prior 15" Westlakes were nearly 5 years old and had nearly 15K miles on them with no issues what so ever. We pay attention to tire pressure, road hazards, curbs/other objects, etc.......all the things that can and most likely will result in tire issues regardless of brand.

The purpose of this post is to ensure that folks (many of us years ago had concerns about Westlakes due to the outdated, inaccurate, and biased information being shared) are not losing sleep over Westlakes as there was not then and is not now any current factual data to support a concern about Westlakes. Yes, there have been, there are, and there will be a number of legitimate posts and claims about Westlakes and other tire brand issues but do not lose sight of the unknowns, information not shared, biases, etc.

Are there better manufactured ST and other RV trailer tires in the market to fit the majority of RV trailers, possibly.......time will tell. Are the Sailuns Endurance, G614s (maybe other brands produced in the last 6 or so years) having more or less failures based on percentages, I have not seen any factual information.

And yes, there is great value in personal accounts and experiences with various tire brands. The good stuff shared about G614s and Sailuns is encouraging for the larger RVs.

Dan
    Dan & Carol

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dan, Having had my share of tire problems here is my take. Have been RVlng since 1995. Started with a couple of TT's with 14 and 15 inch tires. Do not remember load rating. Never had a problem. Moved to a 5ver with LT235/85R16 load range "E". First 7 years with this unit no problems and then poop hit the fan and lots of problems next 4 years. Some of problem was because I did not replace both tires, so half of problem was self inflicted. 2012 got a new Montana with Dexter 7k axles and had trouble from the start. Tires were LT235/80R16 load range "E". Trouble with Goodyear, Advanta, Heartland all rated "E". New Westlakes (1 year, 10k miles) are LT235/85R16 Load range "G", no problem so far. Reno buddy has "G" rated tires for 3 years and close to 20k miles and no trouble yet. My personnel opinion is that there is something wrong with 10 ply "E" rated tires. Of course many tire problems are reported but never say what kind (rating) of tire, load rating, speed rating or any other info. If we had hard data that could be verified then we could go to the NTSB and maybe get something started. Can't tell you what brand works best as it seems someone has had trouble with every kind and type of tire.
    Lyle & Judy and Annie the Westie
    Retired (Government employee/USMC/USAFR, Ret) & Retired (insurance industry)
    2018 F-350 CC LB DRW 4X4 6.7 (3.55)(Reese 18k "puck system")
    2018 Solitude 310GK (5500 Onan Genset)
    2020 F-150 SCSB XLT 2.7L 10 speed

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing I noticed about tires these day is the way the manufacturers lie about hem.

I have seen tires with "10 Ply Rating" when, in fact, some will have 6 plies of tread and 4 plies of sidewall. They claim they are just as strong as the old 10 ply tires. So look carefully at what you are really getting when you are buying tires.
    2022 Reflection150 226RK
    2022 F150 Powerboost hybrid with 3.5L Ecoboost

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Airrace View Post
    Dan, Having had my share of tire problems here is my take. Have been RVlng since 1995. Started with a couple of TT's with 14 and 15 inch tires. Do not remember load rating. Never had a problem. Moved to a 5ver with LT235/85R16 load range "E". First 7 years with this unit no problems and then poop hit the fan and lots of problems next 4 years. Some of problem was because I did not replace both tires, so half of problem was self inflicted. 2012 got a new Montana with Dexter 7k axles and had trouble from the start. Tires were LT235/80R16 load range "E". Trouble with Goodyear, Advanta, Heartland all rated "E". New Westlakes (1 year, 10k miles) are LT235/85R16 Load range "G", no problem so far. Reno buddy has "G" rated tires for 3 years and close to 20k miles and no trouble yet. My personnel opinion is that there is something wrong with 10 ply "E" rated tires. Of course many tire problems are reported but never say what kind (rating) of tire, load rating, speed rating or any other info. If we had hard data that could be verified then we could go to the NTSB and maybe get something started. Can't tell you what brand works best as it seems someone has had trouble with every kind and type of tire.
    Here's a piece of data that I haven't seen in this thread yet. At the NoCal rally GD admitted that they put the wrong load range tires on a lot of their trailers for a lot of years. We were told that they chose tires based on input from the importer which resulted in a lot of heavy trailers getting Load range E tires. Looking at the tire specs the E rated tires look sufficient but in a lot of cases they don't have the reserve load capacity to handle the dynamic loads on the tires or uneven tire loading. For this reason they recently started putting load range G tires on the larger trailers. Apparently that has made difference in tire longevity. Too light a tire for the load and they fail. Go figure.
    Jim & Georgianne
    N. California
    2016 Reflection 29RS
    2008 Ford F-250 Super Duty PSD
    B&W Companion hitch
    Rubber turtle with no name

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim, That could be the reason I don't like "E" rated tires, Most of the time you are close to the limit. One thing I do like about the West Lake tires is they are rated for 4,400 lbs. per tire and 17,600 total. With the 7k Dexter axles you should have no problems running 12k on a pair of axles. At the same time I ran my truck tires at the limit and never had a failure. Lucky?? Maybe or the fact that most truck tires are rated for around 100 mph+ might help.
    Lyle & Judy and Annie the Westie
    Retired (Government employee/USMC/USAFR, Ret) & Retired (insurance industry)
    2018 F-350 CC LB DRW 4X4 6.7 (3.55)(Reese 18k "puck system")
    2018 Solitude 310GK (5500 Onan Genset)
    2020 F-150 SCSB XLT 2.7L 10 speed

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Airrace View Post
    Lyle - good feedback ! Yes, there have been a greater number of 16" "E" rated issues relative to other sizes/ratings. Jim's post #948 sheds some light on this as well.

Dan
    Dan & Carol

Page 95 of 103 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697 ... LastLast