User Tag List

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Animals can escape a lot faster than humans can provided they have a hole. Again fire axe under the bed will allow you to make whatever hole you need. Or carry a chainsaw in your truck bed if you think you need to make a hole from the outside to allow pets to get out.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffdawgfan View Post
    OK, for everyone paranoid about getting out the emergency exit in case of a fire, get you one of these and keep in bedroom. Much easier to use than having 37 different fire extinguishers in the RV....

https://www.amazon.com/Kidde-468094-...21294155&psc=1
    25’ ?!? My tallest egress window is maybe 5’ off the ground...after all, the entire RV is only 13’ tall...think I’d be ok without a ladder. Lol.

And where are y’all planning to put the fire axe. Lmao

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2017 Grand Design Solitude 379fls-r

2015 F250 FX4 6.7

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fire axe goes under the bed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    Fire axe goes under the bed.
    Betting it would be much more difficult than you think to axe your way out of the wall. Especially if you and the DW are in bed asleep as have to get up, lift the bed, get the axe, cut said hole, and get out. All in a panic mind you...probably wouldn’t go as smooth as you think. I’ll take the door.

2017 Grand Design Solitude 379fls-r

2015 F250 FX4 6.7

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    NOTHING goes smooth in an emergency. The axe would be to break the window and enlarge the opening if need be.

That is if I can't get to the rear of the RV to save my kids first. If that way is blocked I'm getting the heck out as fast as possible, run to the back of the RV, and ripping out their windows with the fire axe.

Adrenaline does most of the work.

But seriously, this reminds me to have a serious talk again with the kids about what to do in case of a fire. I've already told and showed them how to pop open the windows.

Quote Originally Posted by ChadandMel View Post
    Betting it would be much more difficult than you think to axe your way out of the wall. Especially if you and the DW are in bed asleep as have to get up, lift the bed, get the axe, cut said hole, and get out. All in a panic mind you...probably wouldn’t go as smooth as you think. I’ll take the door.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    If the desire is to have something to briefly clear a path from the bedroom to the door, maybe a powder fire extinguisher isn't the best thing. Ceiling sprinklers would probably work well . . . but not very practical. Perhaps those with fire fighting experience have some better ideas?

Rob
    Bumping this question back to the top (or bottom) of the list.
    Chopping or cutting a hole in a wall takes minutes when you have seconds.
    If your plan is to go out the window, practice this as Jim shows in his presentation.
    For the rest of us . . . what is the best plan to get to the door? (Looking for ideas from experts here)

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I were go the axe route, I would mount it on the wall next to the exit window. There is no way you are waking from a dead sleep to getting the axe out from under the bed and using it in the time you would need to. Current career firefighter speaking from experience. Fires are not like in the movies, visibility is near zero and the smoke will choke you fast. The axe would only be good for busting out a window from inside. Unless your bedroom ceiling is higher than in my 310GK you won't have sufficient room to swing the axe to chop a hole. Not to mention all the sharp edges to lacerate yourself on going through the hole. Be interesting to go to a junk yard and try cutting a hole with an axe.
    Best chance of getting to the door is stay low and crawl. If the fire and smoke are so bad that you would need something to get to the door, your only choice is window. A 5 lb. extinguisher is only good for about a garbage can size fire. They run out faster than people expect and take practice to use efficiently.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For a grease fire you are way better smothering it with a larger pan or cookie sheet or dumping a box of baking soda on it. Spraying an extinguisher is most likely just going to spread the fire unless done right.
    If it is a major fire situation, using an extinguisher to clear a path is probably not reasonable. If it is a small contained fire, then definitely use one.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChadandMel View Post
    As a former professional firefighter/medic, as well as many years volunteering as well, 13 fire extinguishers within a 40’ trailer is probably considered obsessive by The NFPA!!

Me personally. I’d bail out one of my two doors and watch from afar. Again, there is a reason I pay for insurance, and as anyone that has been in, or is still currently in the fire industry will tell you more people get hurt trying to fight fires than anything else. And honestly there is nothing that valuable to me inside mine, not to mention even a “small” fire (if there is even such a thing INSIDE a RV will total it out anyways.

Me, I’d call 911, followed by my insurance company a couple hours later, then go buy a new one a month after that.

Well. from my point of view , the 13 (or however many ! ! ) extinguishers are only there to help beat down the fire long enough to get the hell out of the trailer - not extinguish the fire. There is absolutely no way either my wife or myself could get out that "emergency escape" window in the bedroom of our 303RLS before becoming toast.

...VTX-Al

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Knightclimber View Post
    For a grease fire you are way better smothering it with a larger pan or cookie sheet or dumping a box of baking soda on it. Spraying an extinguisher is most likely just going to spread the fire unless done right.
    If it is a major fire situation, using an extinguisher to clear a path is probably not reasonable. If it is a small contained fire, then definitely use one.
    Exactly. 9/10, the force of the extinguishing agent is go to force that grease right out of the pan on to your wood cabinets.
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast