User Tag List

Page 93 of 103 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495 ... LastLast
    King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Tom Holt, who is the new GDRV marketing director posted this tidbit on the Facebook group today:

"In regards to tires the failure rate for Westlake’sis less than other ST tire manufacturers and is less than the Goodyear Endurance which as not even been on the market for a whole year."

I'd be very curious where those numbers come from and have been trying to verify it with no luck. Does anybody know where you can get real facts and data on tire failures?

Jim

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Let's say that's true, and I'll make up some numbers just for fun...
    Westlake produces 20 million tires per year (not made up) let's just say they've had a 1% failure rate, that's 200,000 tire failures per year.
    And let's say Endurance has a failure rate double that, so 2% but they've only sold 10,000, that's 200 failures.

I would like to see the real unbiased numbers, I doubt we ever will though.
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just did a 2,500 mile trip and my Westlakes are holding up just fine. Trailer is nearly 2 1/2 years old now. I've found the Westlakes to hold pressure extremely well. I have run every size and type of trailer tire imaginable over the years and I've had terrible luck with Maxxis, Goodyear (Marathon) and Green Dot (Discount Tire). Maxxis tires on my horse trailer blew out while the trailer was sitting. Same thing with the Goodyear Marathon on my last 5th wheel. Went out one day and found a blown tire. Green Dot blew on my flatbed 15 miles into a trip with an empty trailer after I'd just checked air pressure like I always do. Tire wasn't even a year old and destroyed the fender on my trailer when it blew. I'll curse Westlake if one fails but so far so good.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon T View Post
    Just did a 2,500 mile trip and my Westlakes are holding up just fine. Trailer is nearly 2 1/2 years old now. I've found the Westlakes to hold pressure extremely well. I have run every size and type of trailer tire imaginable over the years and I've had terrible luck with Maxxis, Goodyear (Marathon) and Green Dot (Discount Tire). Maxxis tires on my horse trailer blew out while the trailer was sitting. Same thing with the Goodyear Marathon on my last 5th wheel. Went out one day and found a blown tire. Green Dot blew on my flatbed 15 miles into a trip with an empty trailer after I'd just checked air pressure like I always do. Tire wasn't even a year old and destroyed the fender on my trailer when it blew. I'll curse Westlake if one fails but so far so good.
    No issue here with my Westlake tires or any other brand if they are loaded properly and monitored with a TPMS system. I do have an issue that my Westlake's need to be aired to the maximum side wall pressure. Next weekend, 5 Goodyear Endurance tires are being installed where I am moving from a D rated tire to an E rated tire. I will air them up to 70 psi which will give me around 500 additional pounds of support per tire and they will not be aired to the max cold pressure value. I'm looking for the additional safety factor and the fact if there is a defect that causes damage, I will take it up with Goodyear in Akron, Ohio. I installed the Endurance tires on my boat trailer in addition to disc surge brakes and Wow, the rolling resistance dropped significantly from both additions.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    Tom Holt, who is the new GDRV marketing director posted this tidbit on the Facebook group today:

"In regards to tires the failure rate for Westlake’sis less than other ST tire manufacturers and is less than the Goodyear Endurance which as not even been on the market for a whole year."

I'd be very curious where those numbers come from and have been trying to verify it with no luck. Does anybody know where you can get real facts and data on tire failures?

Jim
    How about asking Tom Holt where he got the numbers. And I think the Goodyear Endurance has been on the market for more than a year. I've had my set for nearly a year.

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J&G garage View Post
    How about asking Tom Holt where he got the numbers. And I think the Goodyear Endurance has been on the market for more than a year. I've had my set for nearly a year.
    I did, and the answer wasn't clear. He stated that manufacturers have to notify NTSA about all tire failures, but he didn't state where he got the data from. Maybe manufacturers have access to data the public doesn't. It would sure be nice to be able to see the failure rates on any brand of tire for comparison purposes.

Until I know where the data came from and how it was analyzed, I'm taking it with skepticism.

Jim

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes I think a couple grains of salt are warranted here at least until more details are provided.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I had Westlakes on mine for 2 camping trips then had a set of Endurance installed about a week ago, and have driven about 150 miles on them for this trip.
    Regardless of any other factors, the current tires provide a much more enjoyable ride, as the trailer doesn't feel like it's bouncing all over the road.
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just had GY Endurance tires installed 4 days ago. I thought the trailer rode better on the way back from the shop. Confirmed it today with a 150 mile trip, it definitely feels calmer back there.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefblueman View Post
    I just had GY Endurance tires installed 4 days ago. I thought the trailer rode better on the way back from the shop. Confirmed it today with a 150 mile trip, it definitely feels calmer back there.
    We have now put about 2000 miles on our new Goodyear’s along with disc brakes. I would agree that stuff is staying put in the 5th wheel better as we bounce down the road. The temp and air pressure has been good, and we are not using Nitrogen. The rig does seem a little more bouncy while parked. BTW we have a little over 20,000 miles on our 2014 and have had two sets of Westlakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mike & Debbie
    Hot Springs, Ar
    2014 Ram 2500 4x4 Short Bed Diesel
    B&W Companion 5th Wheel Hitch
    2014 Reflection 303 (#405)

Page 93 of 103 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495 ... LastLast