User Tag List

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here in bold are the issues I have with the BB warranty which is full of holes.

Dragonfly Energy Corp. (“the Manufacturer”) warrants each Dragonfly Energy and Battle Born Batteries branded Li-ion battery (“the Product”) sold by Dragonfly Energy, Battle Born Batteries, or any of its authorized distributors or dealers, to be free of defects for a period of 10 years (“the Warranty Period”) from the date of sale as determined by either the customer’s sale receipt, the shipping invoice and/or the battery serial number, with proof of purchase. Within the first 8 years of the Warranty Period, subject to the exclusions listed below, the Manufacturer will credit, replace or repair, if serviceable, the Product and/or parts of the Product, if the components in question are determined to be defective in material or workmanship. After 8 years and up to 10 years, if the components in question are determined to be defective in material or workmanship, and the Manufacturer deems the components to be repairable, the Product will be repaired and returned. If the Manufacturer deems the components to be not repairable, a new, similar Product will be offered at a discount of 30% off of the price listed at the time of the offer. The offer will be valid for a period of 30 days after the date of notification.

As soon as I see a replacement warranty at 5 years or longer, or that I receive the number of cycles listed on their charts (this is recorded in their BMS) without all the disclaimers I will be ready to move in this direction. Also I want to file my warranty claim with the company that I purchased the battery from.
    Last edited by MidwestCamper; 01-25-2019 at 05:22 PM.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a little FYI , I have absolutely no knowledge about lithium batteries outside of my battery drill or such.
    I just watched a Mythbusters Jr. episode that crushed lithium batteries, apparently when the thin material between the 2 parts that make electric is compromised lots of heat is made like 1000 degrees or something, then a fire breaks out and things get bad from there. Higher voltage bigger fire. Kinda cool and kinda scary.

Brian

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Country Campers View Post
    Just a little FYI , I have absolutely no knowledge about lithium batteries outside of my battery drill or such.
    I just watched a Mythbusters Jr. episode that crushed lithium batteries, apparently when the thin material between the 2 parts that make electric is compromised lots of heat is made like 1000 degrees or something, then a fire breaks out and things get bad from there. Higher voltage bigger fire. Kinda cool and kinda scary.

Brian
    Brian,
    This can be scary but the built in BMS will prevent us from doing things that would cause a fire such as over charging, high current draw etc. There is a contactor that will open if any damaging conditions are experienced that are monitored by the BMS.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsBand View Post
    I’d be interested to see your source for the warranty info.

AIMS battery warranty is only 3 years.

A: Here is a copy of the manufacturers warranty, "AIMS Power warrants this battery is free from defects for 3 years. If for some improbable circumstance the battery is defective, AIMS will replace the battery with a pre-authorized return number and return instructions will be provided per the US Department of Transportation regulations for lithium battery shipments. AIMS Power does not warrant batteries that have been poorly maintained, charged incorrectly, reversed polarity, improperly installed, stored and used in excessive heat, physical damage, fire, freeze, water damage, tampered, damage to terminals, and failing to keep the correct charge to the battery. DO NOT RETURN BATTERY WITHOUT RMA. IT WILL BE REFUSED. AIMS Power has a team of technicians to provide technical support when needed. Proof of purchase will be required. Customer is responsible for shipping fees to AIMS Power. If AIMS Power deems the product defective, AIMS Power will cover the replacement shipping fees. We are unable to accept returns because of the strict certifications and handling required to ship and handle lithium batteries."

Regarding cost...
    Aims are $850 each ($899 on the Aims website)
    BB are $949 each.
    I wouldn’t call that substantially less expensive.

I’ll pay $99 for 7 additional years warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sounds like a deal - here's your seven additional years. If a hundred bucks means nothing to you, feel free to make a donation to my RV improvement fund.

WARRANTY
    AIMS Power warrants this battery is free from defects for 10 years. If for some improbable circumstance the
    battery is defective, AIMS will replace the battery with a pre-authorized return number and return instructions
    will be provided per the US Department of Transportation regulations for lithium battery shipments. AIMS Power
    does not warrant batteries that have been poorly maintained, charged incorrectly, reversed polarity, improperly
    installed, stored and used in excessive heat, physical damage, fire, freeze, water damage, tampered, damage to
    terminals, failing to keep the correct charge to the battery or use that exceeds rated charge/discharge cycles. DO
    NOT RETURN BATTERY WITHOUT RMA. IT WILL BE REFUSED. AIMS Power has a team of technicians to provide
    technical support when needed. Proof of purchase will be requested. Customer is responsible for shipping fees to
    AIMS Power. If AIMS Power deems the product defective, AIMS Power will cover the replacement shipping fees.
    We are unable to accept returns because of the strict certifications and handling required to ship and handle
    lithium batteries. Proof of purchase is required.

This is from the manual on the 100 amp battery. I was impressed by the lack of a lot of the loopholes contained in the BB warranty, but you really never know how good a warranty is until you have a claim. Hopefully, neither of us will have occassion to find out.

So, in my very limited experience, the AIMS and BB specs, warranty and (negociated) prices are very similar and in some respects lean toward the AIMS. I don't know which product is going to provide the best value in actual use, but I'm willing to find out. If you have some real world experience with the AIMS battery, I'd like to hear it.
    John and Jean
    Springer Spaniel furkids Mea and (the late) Molly
    Blogs - BataanMissing.com - AirSafety.info
    2017 Ford F-350 6.7L CC SB, Andersen Ultimate Hitch.
    2018 Reflection 337RLS fifth wheel.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ditchdigger View Post
    I am going to Lithium batteries because I can then install all of the solar/wind equipment, in the same compartment with batteries.
    I think that is a prime consideration. My FLA batteries were in the front compartment of my fiver - which was about the only option since they had to be vented. I had just finished installing an inverter and battery meter and was rather proud of what turned out to be a very nice clean install. Then I decided to drop in a lithium battery - seemed simple. Then I started thinking about the problem of charging when the battery temperature is below freezing. So my next thought was a temp sensor and cut-out relay. The more I thought about it, the less I liked the idea so I decided to bite the bullet and do the job properly and install the system in a temperature controlled area. I hate re-doing a project, but I'm anxious to see how the lithium batteries perform.
    John and Jean

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthTX View Post
    ... If a hundred bucks means nothing to you, feel free to make a donation to my RV improvement fund.

I didn't say a hundred bucks means nothing to me. You said the Aims were "substantially" less expensive.
    They're 10% cheaper. My definition of "substantial" is obviously different than yours, that's all.
    But I have $10k worth of solar in a $30k trailer. So I'm a bit of an oddball.

I look forward to seeing photos of your install.
    Last edited by DaveMatthewsBand; 01-25-2019 at 08:37 PM.
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Country Campers View Post
    I just watched a Mythbusters Jr. episode that crushed lithium batteries, apparently when the thin material between the 2 parts that make
    electric is compromised lots of heat is made like 1000 degrees or something, then a fire breaks out and things get bad from there.
    Higher voltage bigger fire. Kinda cool and kinda scary.

Brian
    Just a little fact that most people don't seem to know about...
    The chemical makeup of the Lithium Ion batteries in your drill, your phone, and other electronics is completely different and FAR less stable,
    than the Lithium Phosphate that resides within the Battle Born and AIMS brands of LiFeP04 batteries.
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthTX View Post
    The more I thought about it, the less I liked the idea so I decided to bite the bullet and do the job properly and install the system in a temperature controlled area.
    Doing the same, relocating to the passthru. Several days into the project.
    Last edited by gbkims; 01-29-2019 at 11:01 AM.
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsBand View Post
    I didn't say a hundred bucks means nothing to me. You said the Aims were "substantially" less expensive.
    They're 10% cheaper. My definition of "substantial" is obviously different than yours, that's all.
    But I have $10k worth of solar in a $30k trailer. So I'm a bit of an oddball.

I look forward to seeing photos of your install.
    Actually, the point of that original post was to let everyone know that the BB's could be obtained for the same price as the AIMS. Naturally, the price match offer didn't come my way until I had already ordered the AIMS.

I probably would have gone with the BB's if that offer had come along a little sooner just based on the favorable reports you and others have posted. However, with the price differential, a (seemingly, at least) better warranty and a couple of nifty features (like no flat prohibition on 100% DoD), the AIMS were a no brainer at the time. I'm looking forward to getting a little experience with the AIMS equipment and comparing notes with the BB owners.
    John and Jean

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gbkims View Post
    Doing the same, relocating to the passthru. Several days into the project.
    Attachment 17365
    Looks like it will be nice when you get finished. You're further along than I am, but I had to stop and mop up the blood a couple of times.
    John and Jean

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast