Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apparently I need permission to look at this file

Bryan

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know why it's not working, I can view it on a computer, but not from Tapatalk. I'll go with the old copy/paste method this time.....3rd time's a charm

A lot of the items on here are TT specific as this is what I had when I made the list and that's what my friend was purchasing. A lot of the info is generic and doesn't necessarily apply if you full-time as that has it's own tips and tricks (maybe ill make a list for that one day)

Sewage
    • Sewer Hose w/ clear down spout adapter – At least 10’ and I’d recommend 2 hoses. If your camper has multiple connections you will need a Y adapter and at least 3 hoses, this is not common. I recommend a rugged construction hose that is collapsible; I have one called Dominator which is my favorite out of others I’ve used.
    • Sewage hose end caps, makes storage cleaner.
    • Rubber/Latex gloves – always keep them on hand, very useful when handling sewer hose.
    • Sewer hose support – provides a good pitch for the hose and facilitates better draining.
    • Sewage tote – It’s a portable tank you can empty your tanks into. This is only needed if you plan on staying at campgrounds that don’t have full hook-ups and only have a dump station. Make sure you get one that’s 35 gallons minimum and MAKE SURE the handle can be hooked up to the ball on your truck, or else you’ll be pulling it by hand or trying to lift it in/out of the truck.
    • Twist on gate valve, prevents those unexpected “surprises” when removing the cap of the outlet.

Water
    • Potable water hose – 15ft min. (2) – make sure it’s rated for potable water; this is your drinking source hose. I recommend 2 based off experience, some campsites have the water spout in strange locations.
    • Water proof bag for hose – you should empty your hose out prior to storage, but it won’t be completely dry. Camping world has a good hose bag; you can order online, probably the only thing I would buy from them as they are overpriced.
    • In-line water filter w/hose – comes with a 6” hose for attaching filter to water source, you don’t know the quality of camp site water, filter it.
    • Pressure reducer/regulator – RV water system isn’t designed for a ton of pressure, and who knows the output of all the campsites water supply. You get what you pay for on this one.
    • 90° elbow for hose connection – This attaches to the RV and connects to potable water hose, angle it towards the ground, it reduces the stress on the RV connection point (not required, but highly recommend)

Electric
    • RV extension cord, I believe your RV is a 50 AMP, verify, but just like water, sometimes the power source isn’t in the best location, an extension cord is great for those times you need it. Make sure you get the correct size cord (30 or 50 AMP).
    • Outlet adapters (50 – 30 AMP and 30 – 15 AMP) I don’t think there is a 50 – 15 AMP, the 30 AMP adapter is useful for campgrounds that don’t have 50 AMP service, the 15 AMP adapter is good for powering the RV at home (getting fridge ready and lights for packing/cleaning) Determine what you can run based out of your owners’ manual if not using the 50 AMP connection.
    • Voltage Regulator/Surge protector –I had to replace all my internal light fixtures because they burnt up from an unregulated power supply, I have one now. Progressive Industries makes a reputable one.

Cookware
    • Silverware – Walmart $0.25/piece
    • Plastic plates and bowls – Walmart, low cost, used for base under paper plates, Corel dishes also work well, we use them now
    • Large pack of paper plates, minimizes dishes, don’t get coated plates, just paper, you can throw them in the fire when you’re done, minimize trash
    • Cutting board/knives
    • Small baking sheet that fits in your oven (we use oven as “toaster” at times)
    • Some larger plates for placing cooked food on (serving)
    • Wooden skewer sticks (useful at times, skewers are great on the fire if there is a grill)
    • Heavy Duty aluminum foil, make “foil packs” of veggies, throw it in the fire pit off to the side and let it cook.
    • Coffee supplies if you desire (we do electric kettle and French press)
    • Cups for drinking (hot or cold) some non-see through cups, not all campgrounds allow the display of alcohol
    • Roasting sticks for marshmallows/hot dogs – kids enjoy this for s’mores or cooking in general
    • Tongs, spatula, any other cooking utensils
    • Portable charcoal grill (we got one from Walmart: 554566731 - $20 and it’s a tabletop version, stores great in the camper storage area). Not all campgrounds allow fires or have fire rings w/grills. This is our backup cooking supply.
    • Charcoal chimney for starting charcoal quickly, keep a bag of charcoal in the storage area somewhere, you never know when you’ll need it.
    • Fireproof gloves, essential when setting up/re-arranging fire pit area whether cooking or not
    • Containers to store leftover food
    • Electric griddle – useful depending what you plan on cooking, I use it for eggs mostly.
    • Can opener/bottle opener
    • Crock-pot (depends on cooking plans)

General Items
    • Paper towels
    • Toilet paper (doesn’t have to be specific for RVS, as long as it’s septic safe it will break down easy)
    • Toilet additive (minimizes odor from black tank)
    • Firewood – pricey at campgrounds, bring your own if you can
    • Small trash can and bags (ours is about the size of our office desk trash cans)
    • Fold up table – not a necessity, but nice to setup against RV for griddle , place to set food or in the event the campsite doesn’t have a table (Lowes is a good source for them)
    • Foldable chairs, adult and kids sizes
    • Leash for tying dog up – if you have a dog, most campsites have strict leash rules
    • Brown shipping paper (we use it to start fire/charcoal chimney)
    • Flashlights / Lantern (we have a propane lantern, we keep extra propane canisters for it)
    • Glow sticks – necklaces/bracelets (super cheap on amazon, kids love them once its dark out)
    • Inside games/activities for kids in the event of rain
    • 10x10 pop up canopy – we keep it in our storage area, its great if it starts raining or you need additional shade, we have a screen that can go around it to make a screen room, good for eating outside and keeping bugs away, check Walmart
    • Towel rack – I made one from PVC, I can show you a design if you’re interested, allows us to hang towels/swim suits outside to dry off In the sun
    • Wasp spray and AJAX powder (helps with ants, sprinkle on the ground anywhere the RV is touching the ground, not needed all the time, but some campsites have a lot of ants)
    • Bug spray, depending on campground, can be a lifesaver.
    • First Aid kit (ensure there is burn cream in it)
    • Sponge/Towel/Soap for cleaning dishes, small drying rack that fits in sink is useful
    • Lighter for starting oven/fire
    • 3’ extension cord, good for crock pot or electric griddle if you choose to use those
    • Broom
    • Inside floor mat/towel near door in case it’s raining
    • Wheel chocks (2) - I put them on the same side and have no issues.

RV Upgrades – I know, it’s new…
    • Vent covers – easy to install, covers roof vents to allow them to be open during travel and when raining
    • Step “carpet” – an outdoor carpet that wraps around bottom step, good for wiping feet, attaches with zip ties
    • Outdoor floor mat, 6’x9’ is common, good for sites that aren’t concrete, easy to sweep and allows water drainage
    • If your camper is prewired and braced, a 2nd AC unit is worth it ~$700, It’s typically in the master bedroom and non-ducted, it has its own controls for that room. I installed ours myself, it’s not too hard to do.
    Good to have
    • Someone good at directing you to backup when parking, or a lot of practice backing up on your own
    • Small level (6”) – easy way to tell if your camper is level or not
    • Leveling plates (2 sets), remember there are 2 axels, stackable like Legos, you drive on them and can adjust the list of the RV
    • 4x4 wood ( 6 – 8”) 4 pieces, place under each stabilizer jack, great for uneven ground
    • 4x6 wood (10”) 1 piece, good for placing under jack stand for uneven ground
    • Small tool kit (screwdrivers, pliers, adjustable wrenches, etc.) because you never know…
    • Small tube of silicone sealant, leaks do pop up, again, you never know…
    • Hatchet
    • Refrigerator door holder (it prevents both doors from shutting, used when RV is not in use to prevent mold from growing inside the refrigerator)
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Continued...

Prior to traveling to/from campground
    • When hooking up weight distribution bars, stand clear of bar and chain, if it breaks free, it will break your legs
    • Ensure TV antenna is retracted
    • All slides are fully retracted
    • All stabilizer jacks are fully retracted
    • Tank valves shut/cap installed
    • Hitch/sway bar is installed correctly
    • Load camper with heavier weight towards front as much as possible
    • Shower door/glass doors are secured
    • All items stowed for “travel”
    • Verify vehicle wiring connection is good, make sure correct lights illuminate when they should
    • Verify trailer brakes work
    • Steps retracted
    • Walk around camper for any obstructions, check height clearance too
    • All storage compartments/windows/doors shut and locked
    • Propane tank valves shut or open, (personal preference for keeping fridge cold while traveling)
    • Tire pressure on RV/Truck (not needed for leaving campground)
    • Lug nut torque (especially when new or following wheel removal) (not needed for leaving campground)
    • Fill freshwater tank with hose ONLY if you don’t plan on using water at campground
    • Remember the excess weight, give yourself ample room for slowing down/merging
    • If trailer brake controller is setup correctly, you shouldn’t have to manually engage trailer brakes

Camper Setup
    • Prior to backing up, remove the sway bar (if you have one) they aren’t designed for the angles you achieve when backing up an RV, the weight distribution bars can stay
    • After you park, make sure your slides have enough clearance and your hoses/cord will reach, do this prior to disconnecting RV from truck
    • Check list of RV with level prior to disconnecting RV from truck
    • Get camper almost level, have a slight pitch to the rear using tongue jack, then put down rear stabilizer jacks, go up a hair more with tongue jack and then put front stabilizers down, this makes it more stable; NEVER attempt to lift the RV using stabilizer jacks. Place those 4x4’s between ground and stabilizer jacks and the 4x6 under tongue jack.
    • If powered tongue jack, power comes from truck or shore power, either leave wiring on truck hooked up or plug in the power when you need to use the tongue jack
    • Ensure all circuit breakers in RV off prior to connecting/disconnecting RV power cord
    • Check for leaks once you have potable water hooked up; leave a faucet open when shutting off water supply, ensures hose is depressurized prior to disconnecting
    • Hook up sewer connection, if there are multiple ground connections (rare) ask which one to use, some are no longer in use, bad experience on that one…
    • Fill your black tank (toilet) about 1/8 full using the toilet, fill and dump toilet. This ensures there is water in the tank and the solids won’t stick to tank and the TP will breakdown quicker.
    • Poor a small amount of toilet treatment into toilet and flush
    • Open one propane tank bottle valves, if not open
    • Turn on refrigerator (it has its own switch)
    • Relax and grab a beer

Camping
    • Keep tank valves SHUT, empty when they are full, you’ll know (level indicator, sink stops draining, you can see the top of black tank through toilet when you flush)
    • Empty black tank first, then gray tank(s), this will flush the line with “clean” water
    • If your RV is equipped with a black tank sprayer, use it after dumping the tank
    • Use electric mode on water heater, works great, doesn’t waste propane
    • Winter camping uses a lot more propane than you normally would, plan for that, most sites have refill stations, but are on the pricey side
    • The more “cold” stuff in the fridge, the quicker it cools off, bags of ice are great to put in the camper the night before with the refrigerator running or when you get to the campsite
    • Keep your awning tilted toward the front or back when raining, otherwise water will build up on the awning and it’s not designed for all that weight
    • Don’t extend the awning all the way out if it’s electric, go right until its almost all the way out or it can get stuck open
    • Retract the awning if it gets very windy
    • Plan dinner accordingly for first night of arrival, with setup and travel you won’t have time to get a fire going and then cook (you might, but not usually) we usually will do sandwiches or make chili at home and bring it in the crock pot, plug it in when you arrive, and then you don’t need to worry about it
    • Have a general food/snack plan in advance so you know what to pack and make sure it will all fit, some home prepping is good (marinate/cut up meat), other prepping is good while camping (cutting up veggies and things like that)
    • Adequately research campgrounds, some are worth the extra $$$, look for full hookups when possible, it’s not terrible if there is only a dump station, but you need to be much more water conscious or you will be filling that sewage tote more often than you desire.
    • Open the kitchen roof vent/window when using the oven/stove due to the propane
    • Keep about ¼ of the toilet bowl full with water prior to each use and keep water in black tank prior to use
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bry1956 View Post
    Apparently I need permission to look at this file

Bryan
    Ah....yes. You need to be a site sponsor to be able to view things like photos and links.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Couple of bottle jacks and heavy duty Jack stands. You need to be able to replace a tire.

Good vinyl table cloth. Folding chairs.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A most excellent list. The only thing I see is not checking tire pressure when leaving the campground. For me, if the RV moves, the tire pressure gets checked first.

The only other tip I would add, and it's really optional, is I leave a little bit of water in the black tank at all times. If I do a complete dump and rinse, then I add a little water at the end. The idea being is the blank tank works kind of like a septic tank. If it has moisture materials continue to break down. If it dries up at all, I will suffice it to say that's a bad thing.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    Attachment 9663

Round two of uploading this file. I also converted it to pdf in hopes that it works.
    Thanks for the tips

I'd like to see your PVC towel rack.

Thanks,

Gene
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will start by saying, considering that your RV comes with a power cord, it can be used as is (ok, so you can't dump your waste without a sewer hose, but you can camp and use the facilities if you absolutely had to). I just like to preface with that statement, because sometimes the list of "must haves" is intimidating. You can create your own sense of priorities and add things as the budget allows. That said, I will divide the list as I prioritized it. One other note, not an ad for Amazon, just sometimes helps to see the links to specific items; many sources for these things.

Priority 1 (not in any order, up to you to decide what is important):
    > Sewer hose: https://www.amazon.com/Camco-39867-R...er%2Bhose&th=1
    > Fresh Water Hose: https://www.amazon.com/Camco-22833-P...esh+water+hose
    > Water Pressure Regulator: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003YJLAIK...=1822553JVWJWX
    > EMS (this is one for 50amp, not sure if you are 50 or 30): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    > Chocks: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Not sure if you have a fifth wheel or a travel trailer, but if a fifth wheel, I will add:
    > Lube Plate: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    If you don't have auto level, then add some leveling blocks to priority 1, otherwise, these are a priorty 2 item
    > Leveling blocks: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Priority 2 (again, sort to your preferences, you may even decide you can live without some of these. All items I like having):
    > Clear Sewer Elbow (this one is so inexpensive, I am tempted to list it in the priority 1 list): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    > Spare Fuses (check for the sizes you need): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    > 90 degree hose elbow (takes stress off connection point) : https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    > 90 degree electrical connector (again, stress relief for weight of cord, this one for 50amp): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    > X Chock (I know i listed chocks above, these help prevent front to back movement for stability): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    >Hose Splitter (nice to be able to rinse things outside without undoing freshwater connection): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1
    > Hose Quick Connect (these things are handy): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    > Regular Green Garden Hose (for black tank rinse)
    > Consider extensions for power, fresh water, and sewer

Best thing you can do is get our there and see what fits your needs; especially for the priority 2 items.
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gbkims View Post
    Thanks for the tips

I'd like to see your PVC towel rack.

Thanks,

Gene
    This isnt the actual one i made, but it's where my wife got the idea; mine is a little wider as well. We actually havent used it at all since we went full time, but used it frequently when we were weekend campers (seems backwards now that i say that)

I used 3/4" pvc, everything is glued except the vertical posts. It allows for easy breakdown and storage. The base is glued together as one piece, and the section that looks like a ladder is glued together. Assembly is easy, lay the base down, set the vertical posts and 45° pieces and connect the ladder section. I also use 1" plastic squeeze type clamps to help hold towels on the rack; very useful when windy.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the advice. I have read all the recommendations and made a couple big lists. The trailer we purchased is a 28BH 5th wheel that we pick up on Sept 11th. We will be towing it with our 2005 Ford F350 DRW. This is our first RV and a huge upgrade from our tent(our family is very excited). I have already ordered the following things mostly from amazon.

-Two 90 degree water elbows
    -Black/Grey Cleanout hose
    -Water hose
    -Wye water valve
    -Rhino Sewer Pipe with clear elbow
    -Lube plate for hitch
    -LF263A adjustable water regulator
    -Two wheel chocks
    -10 pack of leveling blocks
    -Sewer hose support

I think thats enough to get us started but if I have forgot anything please let me know. I am currently looking into the EMS/surge protector.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast