User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What fifth wheel should we get?

We own a 2016 ram 3500 SRW Turbo Diesel crew cab 6.3 bed. We are looking to go full time in a fifth wheel late 2019, our last duty station, than traveling. It will just be my wife and I, and our dogs/cat. She will be working from home so she needs space for her home office and supplies.

We have looked at toyhaulers and love the open space,but most say we are over our payload with them. We will get rid of the generator.

Our needs are...office space, good kitchen prep space and storage.
    Our wants would be WD prep vented preferably and a half bath.

Anyone know of something like the momentum 351 which checks all our boxes, but in a lighter package?

Thanks in advance [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go sit in it and play house.

Your needs are different than mine, so my opinion is kind of irrelevant on floor plan. What we look at and dismiss as awful someone else loves and vice versa.

The most important thing when full timing is not settling on an RV. You'll be living in it and small stuff is going to eventually grate on you. So make sure you get what you're happy with, not just what you can pull. Trucks can be changed, trust me it's cheaper to do the RV right the first time. Don't settle.

Spend some serious time sitting and pretending to live in the unit. Where you'll put stuff, go through your routine, watch TV, etc. You want to simulate your daily life and see what you like and what you don't like.

Don't settle. Floor plan is by far the most important thing when full timing.
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kaesyandtombutler View Post
    Anyone know of something like the momentum 351 which checks all our boxes, but in a lighter package?
    I find myself again echoing @Aridon's advice. Maybe telling you the journey Fran and I took will help.

We took almost a year to buy our 315RLTS. The issue was I'd purchased a brand new 2017 F-250 Platinum 6.7 diesel truck. I found out after-the-fact it didn't have near the payload I needed to tow the 315RLTS and haul a 2006 Honda Goldwing in it's bed. "NO WAY" my wife said, are we going to get another truck. So we looked at Rockwoods, Open Ranges, and anything else we could get our hands on. We took multiple trips to dealers in Louisiana, Alabama, and even south Florida. (Lazy Days in Tampa is a llllooonnngg way from Fort Walton Beach!)

We finally decided to buy a Rockwood 2707WS. Fran understood that I could tow the Rockwood with the 250 (being very careful with how much was in the camper) and have my bike with me. It met all of our minimum requirements, but it definitely didn't have the "wow" factor Fran felt when she walked into the Reflection. The day came when I said to Fran, "there's nothing left to research or see--let's go get the Rockwood". What I got in response was a sad, unexcited, expression on her face.

I'll cut the story short by saying I traded my 250 for a used 350 DRW (also a 2017 Platinum) and bought Fran the camper she really wanted. The truck fiasco set me back almost $10K, but we both really like the 315RLTS and I have zero concerns about payload or towing capacity with the dually.

Again, I'll repeat Aridon's advice: don't settle (unless there's no choice financially).
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do believe there are one or two Momentums (toyhaulers) that you can pull with single rear wheel legally. But don't trust a salesman to be honest with you. Post up a photo of the sticker in your driver's door jam and the guys here will help you figure it out if you're not sure.

Besides providing plenty of space for an office in the garage, in the Momentum they are both heated and air conditioned. Put an area rug down and they're pretty much just another room.

Also, you may be able to trade your truck for a dually with private party that's wanting to go to single rear wheel. Then you could pick any of the Momentums. Might just be another option for you to consider.

Loosing the generator would lighten your pin weight considerably. I know somebody that sold their generator and went with solar. So buying with a generator and selling it may also be an option if you can't find one without the gen.
    Last edited by JCZhome; 12-30-2018 at 04:39 PM.
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    Go sit in it and play house.

Your needs are different than mine, so my opinion is kind of irrelevant on floor plan. What we look at and dismiss as awful someone else loves and vice versa.

The most important thing when full timing is not settling on an RV. You'll be living in it and small stuff is going to eventually grate on you. So make sure you get what you're happy with, not just what you can pull. Trucks can be changed, trust me it's cheaper to do the RV right the first time. Don't settle.

Spend some serious time sitting and pretending to live in the unit. Where you'll put stuff, go through your routine, watch TV, etc. You want to simulate your daily life and see what you like and what you don't like.

Don't settle. Floor plan is by far the most important thing when full timing.
    You will not be happy if you "settle" for something less than you really want. Reach for what you really want and you'll make it happen.
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would keep the generator...just sayin'.
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by el Rojo View Post
    I would keep the generator...just sayin'.
    Agreed.
    Even with $10k worth of solar, we still have a generator just in case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you guys. To be honest, I wouldn’t want to go negative equity on my truck just to get into a toy hauler. Thankfully my wife isn’t high maintenance as far as bells and whistles go, she’s more into being outdoors, but she does require a good size office space. We will keep searching, and I will post a picture of the labels so I can get all your feedback. Appreciate all the help!

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What about this?
    https://www.rvusa.com/rv-guide/2018-...55mbqs-tr35318

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since this is a Grand Design website maybe you should check out this Reflection model. Weights look pretty good and it has the bunk room/office room as part of the floor plan. This may be what you’re looking for. I’ve seen these models and that office room could be perfect for you.

https://www.granddesignrv.com/showro...loorplans/31mb
    Last edited by vonzoog; 12-31-2018 at 06:27 AM.
    2018 Momentum 376TH
    2016 RAM 3500 Dually

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast