User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2010 Sequoia with tow package with 3170bh

We have a 2010 Toyota Sequoia with the heavy duty tow package. It is rated to pull 9,100 lbs. We are looking at the 3170BH which is right at 8,000 lbs dry weight. The hitch weight is about the same as out current travel trailer (2014 Keystone Hideout 27DBS). I'm curious if you think we will have any issues pulling it. Currently, we have no issues pulling the 27DBS. We have the heavy duty Blue Ox sway and load balancing system.
    Last edited by nathanb; 01-02-2019 at 07:44 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have done a lot of towing with 1/2 ton PUs and SUVs. What I have learned is that if properly set up they do a really good job up to about 8K lbs and 28'. Past that they start to struggle. You will find that past 8K you will want more motor and more suspension. Even under 8K you will find that E rated tires and some sort of helper springs really help.

The other thing you will have to deal with is the length. With a short wheel base truck and a 37' trailer you will start having trouble with the trailer pushing the truck. Where you will feel this the most is in a down hill curve when you need to apply the brakes to slow down. It can get kinda scary at times. Trust me

The trailer you are looking at is going to be 9K plus when you are loaded going down the road and 37' long. IMHO you will not be happy.
    Last edited by warsw1; 01-05-2019 at 07:00 AM.
    Randy & Sharon (Went full time April 14th 2017)

2016 Ram CC SB Outdoorsman 4x4 CTD
    Michelin 295/70R18
    Fold-A-Cover G4 tonneau,
    Dee Zee truck bed mat,
    Dee Zee tailgate assist,
    Dodge Ram 4x4 Steering Gear Box Brace
    Fumoto oil drain valve,
    Husky floor liners,
    WeatherTech No Drill Mud Flaps,
    Firestone Ride-Rite Suspension Kit
    Reece Pro Series 20K lb 5th wheel hitch

2018 Solitude 375res
    8K lb axles, springs & hubs with Nev-R-Lube bearings
    MORryde HD shackle kit with brass bushings & wet bolts
    Reece Sidewinder 19K lb pin box.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely agree with Randy. That unit needs a 2500 series truck.
    2018 Imagine 2800bh
    2018 Ram 2500
    6.4 heni

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you will have issues, more importantly your issues might become someone else's issues on the road and that is not good.
    Keep your family safe as well as others and buy a truck that is intended for towing and not use an SUV that is ill quipped to handle the task even with the camper you are using now.

Brian

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree it is too risky. I’ve never towed anything larger than a pop up camper with less than a 3/4 ton truck. The point made previously about the short wheelbase of the typical SUV is definitely a concern as well. I assume you have kids and need the interior space for travel. We do shorter trips with the two teenagers and the 100lb dog in the back seat of our crew cab truck with no issues. If the kids bring friends my wife will bring her vehicle also.

Another thought could be to find a 3/4 Suburban (not sure if they still build those) or find a well cared for Ford Excursion (no longer in production after 2005 or 2006 I’m not sure exactly when but they have a 3/4 ton chassis and available Diesel engine). Good luck and be safe!
    The Adams - 2017 Reflection 367BHS, 2019 F-350 6.7L PSD 4x4 CC DRW, B&W hitch on Ford pucks, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Ultimate Plus air bags, "Rupert" the Weimaraner.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think I would tow that long of a trailer with anything less than a 1 ton. The Toyota will pull it but I guarantee you won't have any fun doing it and as short a wheelbase it is that will be a handful. We have the 2800BH and pull it with a 2001 Ford F250 7.3 diesel with crew cab short bed. I couldn't imagine towing with anything less as it's close to weight capacity on the GVW of the pickup loaded up. We do have a 50 gallon water tank, generators, and tools in the bed of the pickup so that adds up quickly. We are going to get a new truck this fall and it will be a F350 crew cab long bed for more fuel capacity (it's a long ways between stations in Canada going to Alaska) and the longer wheelbase is easier to handle. The GVW of the 350 will give us more flexibility in what we can put in the bed of the pickup and not worry about being overweight.
    Be sure to really research the GVW and GCWR Of your tow rig along with the trailer you want. The main thing is to have a tow rig that will be in charge of that trailer, not the trailer in charge of your tow rig. Sounds weird but it's something to me that makes sense.
    2020 Ford F350 6.7
    2018 2800BH Imagine
    And a couple of Polaris RMK snowmobiles :cool:

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

2010 Sequoia with tow package with 3170bh

If you don’t want a big truck or a diesel, the F150 ecoboost would probably handle it.

; )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Site Sponsor
    Kerrville, TX RV parks through April 2020
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You would need max tow and heavy duty payload package to make it a good towing experience- right, Rob?
    AKA Steve and Lynne
    Storm the Black Lab
    Reflection 337 RLS vin 573FR3628E3300393
    2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Longbox
    6.7 Cummins, 68 RFE transmission
    B and W Companion, Air Lifts

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by steve gravelle View Post
    You would need max tow and heavy duty payload package to make it a good towing experience- right, Rob?
    That long of a trailer and weight I would. Even the F150 Ecoboost would pull it but just not enough truck overall.
    2020 Ford F350 6.7
    2018 2800BH Imagine
    And a couple of Polaris RMK snowmobiles :cool:

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsBand View Post
    If you don’t want a big truck or a diesel, the F150 ecoboost would probably handle it.

; )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Unless it's an HDPP there's no way I'd tow anything larger than a 2400BH with a 1/2 ton and I love my ecoboost.