User Tag List

Page 10 of 40 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J&G garage View Post
    Pat I’m looking forward to discussing this with you next weekend. I have been pondering this for a long time and really like the V clip idea over other forms of hanger reinforcement. It seems eliminated a lot of issues that some other reinforcement methods bring.
    Hey Jim,

We will have to engage in a couple of beers while laying under the rigs, pondering the pro's and con's of different methods of reinforcement. Bring a sketch pad, a pencil and a big eraser. NorCal Rally in about a week......

Pat
    Pat&Marlene Gyrogearloose - 2010 Itasca Meridian 34y - 6.7 w/Allison 6spd - Jeep Wrangler Rubicon - previous Reflection 303RLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While you two are prone underneath the rigs cooing and sketching together , maybe you can discuss who's going to make these adaptors/supports, what type of steel will be needed and lastly how are owners gonna get them installed.

With the 303 spring issue, it was rather a simple solution once you guys figured out a stronger spring was needed on the curb side. The springs are readily available. What is being discussed now is manufacturing some sort of additional steel support which probably doesn't even exist (other than the LCI "V" clips which no one has even heard about until just recently).
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Sold: 2015 27RL
    2016 Ram 3500 Crewcab Cummins SRW

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by patwardell View Post
    So in my mind what we are trying to solve for is trying to keep the legs of the hangers from flexing back and forth and transfer that flex energy to the frame where it will have the least amount of flex. If the hangers are more ridged, then energy will be more in the springs and that kind of steel we want to flex. Just kind of thinking out loud here.

Pat
    Pat & Jim,

Wish I could be there to join your discussion . . . but, Northern California would be a long way to go .

I agree that whatever we come up with has to be of the KISS variety. Also, best if these reinforcements can be installed without dropping the suspension. I have not seen a broken weld or a hanger pulled off a frame rail, so the issue is the flex and eventual fatigue break of the hanger legs close to the top. Obviously the weakest area because of the bending operation and the heat from the adjacent weld. My idea of going up the sides of the frame rail was to find a way to overlap this weak area with another piece of steel. Agreed that this complicates the Correct Track . . . but I have never seen a Correct Track adjusted to anything other than nominal.

It would be ideal to come up with a bolt-on solution, but I think the best strength will come from a welded solution. The V clip is certainly a leading contender but requires overhead welds . . . thus, a capable welder for a proper job. Boxing the ends would create very similar reinforcing with vertical welds which are a little easier, but to complete the job, an overhead weld across the top should be added. Thus, we are back to the welding talent required for the V clips.

Rob
    Last edited by Cate&Rob; 09-06-2018 at 02:24 PM.
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    ... Agreed that this complicates the Correct Track . . . but I have never seen a Correct Track adjusted to anything other than nominal...
    Rob
    Probably why GD stopped installing the CorrectTrac as even most dealers didn't know how to align axles with this system. It was a good marketing gimmick though. I know when we bought our’s, I (mistakenly) thought the axles had been aligned at the factory using the CorrectTrac. It was only after the sale and doing some reading that I realized the CorrectTrac was there in case the axles needed alignment and further dismay finding out most dealers had not a clue what it was it how to adjust the axles using it.
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you do the box pieces, cut the pieces so they fit between the spring hangers. The welds would then only hold the box pieces in place. The welding would be horizontal, not much overhead to it, and the strength would come from the box pieces resistance to being crushed, not from the welds.
    2022 Reflection150 226RK
    2022 F150 Powerboost hybrid with 3.5L Ecoboost

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If we don't need to go up the sides of the 2x2 then a simple tube like what is used with the after market Correct Trac could be used (can't remember who suggested that). Anyone with a hack saw could make them. Welding is the hard part. Not even sure if the horizontal part of the tube at the bottom would even need to be welded.

The V-Clip is a good solution but I'm not to keen on the point of the V and its point load. Could weld in a piece of Flat Bar horizontally at the bottom of the V to distribute the load. I actually have a piece of 4" 1/4" wall angle that could be easily cut to make the V-Clip.

The benefit of the option I am talking about allows for easy attachment of cross member something like the X-Factor.

Anyway I can draw different versions up pretty easily because I have already drawn the suspension in 3D for the Reflection 303RLS. I do need to get all the dimensions for the spring hangers because the drawing I did of the hangers for my model is very simplistic. This way I can create a very accurate model of the hangers.

Anyway back to packing for NorCal

Pat
    Pat&Marlene Gyrogearloose - 2010 Itasca Meridian 34y - 6.7 w/Allison 6spd - Jeep Wrangler Rubicon - previous Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by minnow101 View Post
    While you two are prone underneath the rigs cooing and sketching together, maybe you can discuss who's going to make these adaptors/supports, what type of steel will be needed and lastly how are owners gonna get them installed.

With the 303 spring issue, it was rather a simple solution once you guys figured out a stronger spring was needed on the curb side. The springs are readily available. What is being discussed now is manufacturing some sort of additional steel support which probably doesn't even exist (other than the LCI "V" clips which no one has even heard about until just recently).
    minnow101,

I was thinking mild steel, can get it anywhere and would be the cheapest option. As far as manufacturing I was thinking you would do that .

If the KISS principal works, then its as easy as going to a weld shop and say cut X number of these and weld them in these locations.... Done

Or maybe they could be subcontracted out to a shop that has an e-presence.

Pat

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will be interested to see what you guys come up with. Those hangers are definitely a weak point, but a critical component on our suspensions.
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can produce whatever we would decide on. I have a laser shop vendor. In my own shop I have all the cutting and bending needs we would require.
    I do not believe the parts would be to heavy for UPS, you all would need to find a suitable installer or do it yourself.

This discussion is getting very interesting and I believe we are getting close to a solution.

Brian

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pat: look at the difference in the point of a “V” clip made from angle material vs bending 1/4” flat stock. The flat stock V will have a radiused “point” and the angle stock will probably have a sharp point.

Minnow I was going to fab my own parts but I like Pat’s idea of you doing it. 🙂

Page 10 of 40 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast