User Tag List

Page 23 of 40 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just read this whole thread,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, now my brain hurts >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Bourbon!!!!!!!
    2017 Solitude 384GK
    2012 F350 Lariat
    Pullrite Superglide 18K

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Took the video's under my 2600RB. The video under my trailer is nothing like the LCI correct track video on youtube. The Imagine is in fact very stable but you should hear all the noise under there. lol. I did not use a weight distribution hitch since we were traveling about 6 miles to our destination on a combination of paved and gravel roads with some very tight turns (one 360 deg) and railroad crossings. There were a couple opportunities for me to aggressively rock the trailer back and forth which looks like a total of +/-0.5 inch of lateral motion in the axle. From the downloaded video on my phone, I cannot see any hanger motion but I still need to get the video on the PC for a closer look and will also try to post here if possible. If I have an opportunity, I will need to install a pointer on a hanger and move the camera in closer to take a closer look for motion. Right rear hanger? Or the center hanger with the MORryde CRE3000?
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Jim,

Looking forward to you video...

Pat
    Pat&Marlene Gyrogearloose - 2010 Itasca Meridian 34y - 6.7 w/Allison 6spd - Jeep Wrangler Rubicon - previous Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pat&Marlene Gyrogearloose - 2010 Itasca Meridian 34y - 6.7 w/Allison 6spd - Jeep Wrangler Rubicon - previous Reflection 303RLS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by patwardell View Post
    Hey Jim,

Looking forward to you video...

Pat
    Thanks Pat,
    I will post my comment on the panhard bar thread. I think we need video of the longer correct trac systems on the heavier rigs to gather additional information. I did not see any motion in my axle until I became very aggressive with the truck so I think the lighter TT mybe ok but I need a close up of the hangers to be sure. I also wonder how much the axle will shift in a constant cross wind. If there is movement under this condition, the panhard bar could also provide a handling improvement.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Noticed some V Clips on a tandem axle KZ 5er next to me in storage.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF2737.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	16436Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF2743.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	84.8 KB 
ID:	16437Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF2744.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	84.0 KB 
ID:	16438Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF2745.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	76.7 KB 
ID:	16440Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF2740.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	87.4 KB 
ID:	16439
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gbkims View Post
    Noticed some V Clips on a tandem axle KZ 5er next to me in storage.
    Gene - Very Interesting! From the yellow equalizer, this looks like an LCI suspension but without Correct Track. I note that the outer hangers have two choices of spring eye location. The LCI service techs seemed to know all about V clips as the way to reinforce tall hangers.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Gene - Very Interesting! From the yellow equalizer, this looks like an LCI suspension but without Correct Track. I note that the outer hangers have two choices of spring eye location. The LCI service techs seemed to know all about V clips as the way to reinforce tall hangers.

Rob
    Rob,

I believe these hangers are failing under hard braking. The V clips re-enforce the hangers in the direction of these forces. Once the equalizer is pivoting in braking and raising the front axle, its the rear hanger that is bearing the highest loads of the entire rig. This V clip would be the best method in apposing this force with the cross members and/or Pats panhard setup for the lateral loads.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MidwestCamper View Post
    Rob,

I believe these hangers are failing under hard braking. The V clips re-enforce the hangers in the direction of these forces. Once the equalizer is pivoting in braking and raising the front axle, its the rear hanger that is bearing the highest loads of the entire rig. This V clip would be the best method in apposing this force with the cross members and/or Pats panhard setup for the lateral loads.
    Hi Jim,

From watching the LCI video that shows the axle wrap that loads the rear hanger, I would agree with you . . . except that the hanger breaks are fatigue failures demonstrated by most of the fracture line being rusted by the time the hanger sides part company with the frame rail. If the failure was overload from braking, I would expect to see deformation or tearing of the hanger at failure. I think the only way to fatigue break the hanger sides is to bend them back-and-forth side-to-side . . . which the V clip reinforces as well.

I am still wondering about this whole tandem axle reaction under braking. I don’t have a GoPro camera . . . but maybe I need to get one . My trailer tires are all wearing evenly, but the front tires are wearing slightly faster than the rears. I am towing the 5th wheel within 1/2” of level, front-to-rear . . . so what is causing this, if not the disc braking .

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Hi Jim,

From watching the LCI video that shows the axle wrap that loads the rear hanger, I would agree with you . . . except that the hanger breaks are fatigue failures demonstrated by most of the fracture line being rusted by the time the hanger sides part company with the frame rail. If the failure was overload from braking, I would expect to see deformation or tearing of the hanger at failure. I think the only way to fatigue break the hanger sides is to bend them back-and-forth side-to-side . . . which the V clip reinforces as well.

I am still wondering about this whole tandem axle reaction under braking. I don’t have a GoPro camera . . . but maybe I need to get one . My trailer tires are all wearing evenly, but the front tires are wearing slightly faster than the rears. I am towing the 5th wheel within 1/2” of level, front-to-rear . . . so what is causing this, if not the disc braking .

Rob
    We are in line Rob where the forces are lateral from sway, wide turns or cross winds etc. The longitudinal forces are from braking. Once a crack forms, these forces begin to work away at the weld. In braking when the equalizer pivots, the rear axle and hangers are under the heaviest load to stop the rig since the front axle and tires will exhibit some reduction in traction. This may explain why the rear hanger seems to fail more than the others. I can offer up an opinion on the front axle tire wear which I believe is directly due to this slip or micro slip. The front tires do not need to lock but slip more than the rear which the infamous LCI video shows, and accelerated tire wear can occur. I like the disk brake option but when I read that folks describe stopping distance being cut in half, I wonder what that looks like under the rig and how much additional load is transferred from the front to rear axle while stopping. I think we need to team up and get some additional videos this spring.

Edit: Where was the shiny section of the hanger that finally broke loose? Was this at the front of the hanger or the rear?
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB

Page 23 of 40 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast