Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Camco Recurve R3 or R6 weight distribution hitch

Hello everyone. We are in the process of purchasing a 2500RL and will be towing with a 2016 Ford F-150 Crewcab Ecoboost 4x4. I have been doing some research on weight distribution hitches and know we will do well with the 1,000 bars, but I am unsure which hitch I should get.

Our dealer is recommending (ie highly suggesting) the Camco Recurve R3 system. I like the R6 system better because it has the "adaptive sway control" instead of the sway control you have to manually adjust on the R3. I can't find much out about either on the web except for what the manufacurer has put out. Can't find any consumer reviews. Our dealer said he sells alot of the R3 and has never had a complaint. I am not one to always take the dealers word for anything, so I told him I would be doing some research and let him know. Another thing is the price he wants to charge for the R6 is almost double than what I would pay online. The R3 price he is charging is the same as the price for the R6 online. He did say his pricing includes set up, but would charge us about $99 for set up if we purchased elsewhere. I do understand that the dealership has to make money and I am more than willing to buy items at the dealership if they are competitive, but I refuse to pay almost double.

Another hitch we are considering is the Reese Steadi-Flex system. That has gotten favorable reviews, and is said to be quieter than other friction sway type hitches because of the brake pads that the bars sit on. My question regarding that set up is will the pad material wear out over time or will it last a long time.

The Camco system comes with a 5 year warranty and the Reese system has a Limited Lifetime warranty. We are the type of people that like to buy something once and not have to replace every few years. We plan on keeping the trailer a long time and want to be able to tow safely.

Any thoughts and comments will be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
    Kim and Mark
    2016 Ford F-150, 3.5L Ecoboost, 4x4, 3.55, Sport Package
    2017 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 2500RL on order and plan to purchase the Reese Steadi-Flex Weight Distribution System w/ Sway Control - Trunnion - 12K GTW, 1.2K TW from etrailer.com($443 with free shipping). I think the brake pads design is an improvement in the sway control. Should be quieter than steel on steel. It also does not require the re-adjustments that many WD systems require every couple of trips. It also appears easy to install with no drilling required.
    2017 Imagine 2500RL
    2017 GMC Sierra 1500 Pickup
    198? 19' Prowler Travel Trailer - 1992 - 1998
    197? Starcraft PopUp Trailer - 1988 - 1991
    Old 14' X 16' Leaky Coleman Tent - One rainy night in 1988
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What made you decide on the 1.2K bars vs. the 1K bars?
    Kim and Mark
    2016 Ford F-150, 3.5L Ecoboost, 4x4, 3.55, Sport Package
    2017 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by popupbound View Post
    What made you decide on the 1.2K bars vs. the 1K bars?
    I am choosing the 1200 lbs bars because they have a weight range of 600 lbs(Dry tongue wt of 2500RL without battery or propane) to 1200 lbs. If I were to come close to the max carry weight and assuming 15% tongue weight... 7,500 lbs(Max trailer wt) * 15%(recommended tongue wt) = 1,125 lbs. I am expecting my actual tongue weight to be in the 900lb range.

I would suggest you give the people at eTrailer a call and talk to them. The representative that I talked to was pretty knowledgeable. (PS - I am not affiliated in any way to eTrailer.com or anyone working there.)
    2017 Imagine 2500RL
    2017 GMC Sierra 1500 Pickup
    198? 19' Prowler Travel Trailer - 1992 - 1998
    197? Starcraft PopUp Trailer - 1988 - 1991
    Old 14' X 16' Leaky Coleman Tent - One rainy night in 1988
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]