User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just purchased an '18 297rsts with two 15000 AC units, one in living area the other in the bedroom.
    We're near San Antonio and it's been close to 100 the past week, we turn both on and let the air dump from both for 15 minutes till it cools down. When in the living area we can turn that unit off and leave the bedroom unit running on high with the dump closed so it circulates to the living area and with the bedroom door closed keeps the place comfy and quiet. Bed time we do the opposite.
    Hope this helps.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tandksa View Post
    We just purchased an '18 297rsts with two 15000 AC units, one in living area the other in the bedroom.
    We're near San Antonio and it's been close to 100 the past week, we turn both on and let the air dump from both for 15 minutes till it cools down. When in the living area we can turn that unit off and leave the bedroom unit running on high with the dump closed so it circulates to the living area and with the bedroom door closed keeps the place comfy and quiet. Bed time we do the opposite.
    Hope this helps.
    We do the same thing.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I bought my 313RLTS (used, 2016) it only had the main A/C unit, so we added the 2nd one in the bedroom. We just finished a 12-day, 1900 mile evacuation down here in FL, GA, & AL. Thank God we had it. We run both of them during the day, then lower the main unit temp down and turn off the 2nd A/C so we don't hear the noise. It worked great.

Price was $1,100 dealer installed. Dometic Brisk II Air 13,500 btu.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When we were looking around to purchase a new fifth wheel last year I did not want two A/C's nor did I want a 50A hookup. The dealer made us such an unbelievable deal on our model that we bought it. As it turned out this was the best feature of the new trailer!! We realized that 50A service allows us to run the A/c, microwave and tv all at the same time. Having two A/C's allows us to run the one in the bedroom while we are watching Tv and not be forced to turn the volume up so loud. Also we run the A/C in the living area and turn off the bedroom A/C when sleeping......it's much quieter this way. Plus if one A/C should die we still have a spare!! While traveling this Summer we realized that having two A/C's enabled us to cool things off much quicker and keep it cool in the 100+ degree temperatures of Moab, Utah. I'm not sure how two A/C's could run from a 30A service. You would be limited as to the other devices used at the same time. Most folks don't realize the current draw on microwaves is substantial.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Likes to tow View Post
    When we were looking around to purchase a new fifth wheel last year I did not want two A/C's nor did I want a 50A hookup. The dealer made us such an unbelievable deal on our model that we bought it. As it turned out this was the best feature of the new trailer!! We realized that 50A service allows us to run the A/c, microwave and tv all at the same time. Having two A/C's allows us to run the one in the bedroom while we are watching Tv and not be forced to turn the volume up so loud. Also we run the A/C in the living area and turn off the bedroom A/C when sleeping......it's much quieter this way. Plus if one A/C should die we still have a spare!! While traveling this Summer we realized that having two A/C's enabled us to cool things off much quicker and keep it cool in the 100+ degree temperatures of Moab, Utah. I'm not sure how two A/C's could run from a 30A service. You would be limited as to the other devices used at the same time. Most folks don't realize the current draw on microwaves is substantial.
    I installed a second AC in the bedroom this year before our summer trip. We successfully ran both AC units at the same time where we only had a 30A service. Both units are 13.5K BTU and are each a nominal 12.5 amp load. We did turn off the electric hot water to avoid the shore-power breaker tripping. This wasn't an convenience as the two AC's were only operated together during the daytime highs. If needed, we simply used the gas mode for the hot water.
    Marc & Sally
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    2013 Ram 2500 SLT
    6.7L Diesel

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Adding to my earlier post, it is so important for us that I just purchased two Champion 3100/2800 inverter generators and the parallel connection to run them at 50a. I cannot really see trying to run on only one generator down here in the heat. When we bugged out for Irma, there were a couple of places where we pulled over to rest and we were melting without any AC. As a result, we pushed ourselves harder than we probably should have to get to our reserved camp sites. When we got to AL, I drove 1.5 hours over to Costco in Mobile and bought one of the generators. Then, when I got home I sat down and ran the numbers and realized that one would power a single 13.5 btu A/C unit, but that would be about it, so I purchased a 2nd one and the parallel panel. I know now that I'll be able to run everything in the trailer if/when we boondock.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have 2 air conditioners , mostly only use one , need 50 amp to run 2 air conditioners !!! 5500 watt generator to run both !!

Bryan

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello all! I'm fairly new to Grand Design and travel trailers. We are in the process of purchasing a gently used 2017 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS here in Texas. Our home flooded during Hurricane Harvey so we're in need of a trailer until things go back to normal here in SETX. I know that the trailer doesn't have a 2nd ac but is already ducted for one. Would someone please kindly give me a list of parts needed? I've referenced this youtube video as a general guide (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yh2QBZDAVvw)

From what I've read, I'll need:
    - Dometic Penquin low profile 13.5 ac unit (http://www.bigdaddyrvparts.com/Domet...t_p_29001.html) This one gives the option to add "Penguin ducted ceiling assembly" to the order.
    - Penguin thermostat (http://www.bigdaddyrvparts.com/Domet...-_p_25986.html) Is this the correct one?
    - Strong men to carry unit to roof lol

I read that others say dometic is pretty loud and the original atwood aren't. I'm understanding that my travel trailer should be able to handle a second unit 15k BTU A/C. Would this be a better option?
    - Atwood 15033 Air Command 15K BTU Ducted Black RV AC with Heat Pump Top Unit Only (http://www.bigdaddyrvparts.com/Atwoo...y_p_29692.html)
    - Atwood 15022 Air Command Ducted AC Ceiling Assembly (http://www.bigdaddyrvparts.com/Atwoo...y_p_29694.html)

Am I missing anything else? Thoughts? Thanks in advance for helpin a gal out!
    Last edited by foreverclumsytx; 10-17-2017 at 09:19 PM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Forever, I had a 2nd A/C installed because we live in SW FL. I could not imagine living here in a 37' trailer and NOT having dual A/C. Where you're at in TX, you will definitely need one in the summer months. As to 13.5k vs. 15k btu, I got the 13.5 but didn't know enough about them when I bought mine. Kind of like boat motors: never heard anybody complain about "too much" horsepower. Same here. If I had it to do over again, I'd have gone with the 15k.

I've watched those two videos (part 1 and part 2) and they are very thorough, and appear to included everything you need:

1. A/C unit
    2. Thermostat
    3. Some duct tape

As far as the "ducted ceiling assembly" goes, I'm pretty sure you'll need that. There appears to be the "ducted" version and the "non-ducted" version. I think these are the mounting plate(s) that go inside the trailer, and secure the roof unit to it. Use one or the other depending on your installation, but I think you MUST use one of them - at least that's how I read it.

Good luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As noted in an earlier post, #24, I installed a second AC into the pre-ducted/pre-wired bedroom. We just got back from a 3 month+ road trip. The second AC clearly made a difference in the comfort level. The installation is not that difficult. I purchased all parts off the web. Here's the parts list (total cost for all components: $895.37):
    1. Dometic 641915CXX1JO, Penguin II, low profile, ducted A/C (EBay - $734 + $80 shipping)
    2. Dometic 3105935.047, Ducted Return Air Grill (American RV - $42.69)
    3. Dometic 3316250.000, Single Zone Thermostat (American RV - $29.19)
    American RV component shipping: $9.49
    Marc & Sally
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    2013 Ram 2500 SLT
    6.7L Diesel

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast