User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Batteries

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Unless you have bypassed the disconnect switch with the power to the break-away switch, you will have to have the new disconnect in the "on" position when towing to assure that the emergency braking has power. It would be good to test this so you know for sure. You will also need to have the disconnect switch in the on position to allow the truck to charge the trailer battery while towing.
    That answers my question, thank you. I really can't see a reason to switch to the OFF position unless I am storing. Good news is that I can't lower the trailer onto my hitch without power, so I can't forget to switch to ON.
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The solitude I have been looking at does *not* have a battery installed. Okay, so I've been reading this thread and I am sure I'm reading that when the 5r is hooked to our truck, the truck charges the battery. I'm also reading that the battery gets installed by the dealer but I've not seen it listed on any load out sheets with the price quotes i'm getting. My question is, with two big batteries in our truck, how does the voltage regulator of the charging system know how to keep the 5r battery up?

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by masterdrago View Post
    The solitude I have been looking at does *not* have a battery installed. Okay, so I've been reading this thread and I am sure I'm reading that when the 5r is hooked to our truck, the truck charges the battery. I'm also reading that the battery gets installed by the dealer but I've not seen it listed on any load out sheets with the price quotes i'm getting. My question is, with two big batteries in our truck, how does the voltage regulator of the charging system know how to keep the 5r battery up?
    The truck typically has a 40A circuit from the engine alternator to charge the trailer battery(s) if they need charging. The current going to the trailer is dependent on the reference voltage of the trailer battery. The truck will take care of its own batteries first . . . and then divert charge to the trailer.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really? So the truck has a separate regulating circuit for the batteries attached to the trailer plug? 2017 Ram 3500 cumins 6.7

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a heads-up for anyone with an F150, I had to add a fuse and a relay to allow the truck to charge the trailer. The fuse and the relay came with the truck, but were in the glove compartment and not installed. This was a 2012 model, not sure if Ford is still doing that, but thought I'd mention it. This wasn't the case for my 2017 F350, everything was good to go there.
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've looked for some kind of explanation as to how Dodge or Ram handles pin 4 of the RV plug. I don't think they would have a separate charging ckt just for a trailer battery. And the year of the truck I think also makes a difference as to how they handle it. On my 02 diesel there is a regulator underneath the left side battery, to my knowledge that is the only one.
    I do know that my 02 Dodge has a constant 12.4 volts on pin 4 RV plug with the ignition off. When I start the engine that voltage varies from 13.5 to 14.2 volts and finally settles down to about 14 volts. So charge voltage is getting to the RV plug pin 4 and also shows up on the RV battery.

Now where its coming from I dont know for sure but, with the ign off there is steady 12.4 VDC so it most likely is coming from one of the batteries through a fused relay in the left engine fuse box. When I start the engine, pin 4 of the RV plug is also seeing the charge voltage being supplied to the truck battery.

I have had newer Ram owners tell me that pin 4 voltage now goes through the ignition switch relay and that it is not there with the truck engine off. Dont' know if true or not. The only way to tell for sure on your newer Ram is to try it yourself with a voltmeter.

The RV battery measures 12.8 VDC just setting there with no shore power applied and not connect to the truck. Connect RV AC power and with the Batt switch on in the docking station the battery voltage goes to 13.4 VDC with charging voltage coming from the converter.

Now I don't keep the RV plugged into the truck when I have shore power connected to the RV. I just don't want any potential head butting between the truck 12 volt pin 4 circuit and the converter charging circuit.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234