Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: True 1/2 ton towables

Registered Guest
    Just as a seat of the pants review. My neighbor had a F150 HD tow and HD Payload I think it was 2014 and with the heavier suspension/ axles and truck tires and "I" think the ride was worse than my F350 1 Ton diesel. I let him drive my F350 on several times and both him and his wife agreed with me about the ride. He traded it in for a 2016 F150 non HD payload and that rides really nice and lot smother then my F350 did. He doesn't have a RV but has Jet Skis and the dealer told him he need the HD Payload option....

Ctdecuir - I think you will be happy with this truck . . . but I do have a biased opinion .
    CWSWine is correct that the non-towing ride is firmer than a non-HDPP F150, but it is a "sport suspension" feel . . . not the heavy truck bone jarring feel of a few years back. I agree that the F350 empty ride has been dramatically improved . . . but I wonder if this is why trucks that should carry 3500 lb payloads without air bags, need them to get back to level? (Your F150 will sit level with the trailers you are contemplating).

I assume that you are following johndeerfarmer's thread on what he has learned WRT pin position vs rear axle on smaller trucks.https://www.granddesignowners.com/fo...ght=Reflection This is important information if you decide to go 5th wheel.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel and their kitty Gracie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS #792
    2014 F150 EcoBoost 4x4 Crewcab with Max Tow and Heavy Payload pkgs
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada

Registered Guest
    People keep telling my when I had my F350 to driver a 3500 GMC because of a better ride. Will I did and traded my 2015 F350 for 2016 GMC 3500 and only lost 22 pounds of payload and much smoother ride either empty or loaded.

I think some of the problem with newer 1 tons is the overload springs don't come into play till you are really overloaded. At 11,380 GVW I still had about a 1/4 of inch before my overload springs come into play and even at 11,840 (300 pounds over my trucks GVWR) I could still slide a piece of paper between the spring and the stop. Of coarse they came into play going down the road but caused a rebounding off the stop. I had to added airbags not to get level but stop the rebound of the overload springs rebound every time you hit a bump. It acted kinda like pogo stick effect. I have since sold both my GMC truck and GD 310GK-R 5er for even a smoother riding Class A.

Well - I hope the "sporty" ride won't be too much of an issue, since the new F150 will be replacing my wife's current ride - a 2009 BMW 335i convertible with all the sport options - lol. This BMW's on its way out - $1300 for a new starter and $1,800 for a replaced water pump/thermostat is seriously cutting into my RV budget! I am watching all the posts on this forum and several others for anything related to F150 and "1/2 ton towable," though I know that 1/2 TT is an extremely misleading statement in the RV industry that is fraught with peril! I am learning all I can about weight measurements to make sure I am only crying twice - once for the Truck, and second for what I will tow. Btw, I am definitely watching JDF's posts, as preference is a fifth wheel, and I will need to determine the best hitch option for installation after the truck comes in. Unfortunately, F150's don't have a 5th Wheel prep option...

Registered Guest
    Maybe some of the new half ton rated 5ers owners will bring them to the CAT scales and get weight so you have a baseline. They need to weight the truck ready to camp and the 5er and the truck together ready to camp. It also helps if they would describe how it loaded. Not all half tons will be able to stay within the GVWR or GAWR but some will be under their trucks ratings hence the saying "Properly Configured 1/2 ton".

CWSWine - that would be awesome real world information that would help me a lot. Also, any information about RV dealers in the South Texas area would be helpful as well. I am definitely open to learning from other RV'ers experiences!