User Tag List

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We carry one of the exstention poles with a saw on it ...Had to use it many times .....
    2016 solitude 379fl
    Minnesota,North metro
    summers @ flying goose
    fairmont,Mn seasonal

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2nd trip out.

We were still working so doing the weekend warrior thing. Meeting some friends for a weekend of scuba diving. I scheduled to take off early Friday and get the RV and take it to the state park and set it up, everyone else was going to come Saturday morning early. Sure enough, something came up at work and I didn't get out when I had planned. So I am running late, it's getting dark, I am stressed and in a hurry.

At this point in my life I had trailered many different things so had confidence in my ability, but it was only the 3rd or 4th time I had back the 5th wheel up. It was dark. The site was skinny and the angle odd, visibility nill. First attempt I backed the rear into the palmetto bushes. Pulled out straightened up, tried again. Mind you, I am trying to go real slow, I stop every foot or so, get out with the flashlight and look at where I am going, back up another foot repeat.

I finally got it "in" the spot, dropped the front landing gear to level, started to slide out. Son of gun, I got the slide to close to the utility pole, lucky I noticed before I smashed it. Pulled the slides back in hitched the truck back up, pulled the landing jack back in, but only about half way, after all I am just going to reposition a little bit. Red flag.

In the darkness and my haste I didn't get the right front jack leg fully secured. Pulled forward, swinging around slightly to reposition to back in away from the post. Starting backing up, seemed I was having to apply a little more power than what I should. Hmmm! got out and looked. The jack leg had dropped out and the foot started digging into the pavement. No excuse, but I was tired and just wanted to get set up so I could go to bed. I had plowed a two foot furrow in the state parks road, bent the jack leg. Using a 4 pound hammer and the hydraulic system I got the leg back up, but it wouldn't extend. So I used blocks of wood and a bottle jack to get it set up.

Cost $1100 to replace the jack, $500 to repair the road.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tail swing is a real thing, I have been bitten a couple of times by it. I like this demonstration, even though it is a class A and not a 5th wheel it shows the effects of tail swing and an easy way for you to measure your tail swing. The annoying thing about tail swing is that it is always in a blind spot, you can't see it in your mirrors.

You Tube Tail Swing

The way I avoid dropping my 5er onto the truck is to visually inspect the teeth on my hitch. I push the lock in, then secure it, then go around and look at the teeth on the hitch. I do this every single time.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Worked for years at a building that had an over hanging awning. I was amazed everytime I saw an RV pull under the awning and knock their A/C off the top of their trailer. Well , I pulled into the parking lot one morning and answered a phone call, 10 seconds later I puller under the awning and knocked my AC off and tore much of the roof off.

Fix: $500.00 Deductible
    Lesson learned the hard way:
    Stay off the phone!

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What I do to avoid dropping my 5th wheel onto the truck bed is lift the front legs 6" then activate the trailer brakes manually while pulling forward slowly. I do this as well as visually inspecting the jaws on the hitch to make sure they are closed.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok I'll play.
    After having our first 5th wheel and having to drop the tailgate each time hooking and un dropping the trailer I got a 5th wheel tailgate. Great no more having to drop the tailgate to hook up or drop the trailer. First trip with the new tailgate. So I park the trailer, raise the trailer off the hitch, unplug the cord and pull forward and bam. What the h***? There was a sidewalk that raise the rear of the truck up a couple of inches and of course it caught on my new tailgate

On another trip in our new 2008 Hitchhiker II 34.5 IKTG. Now the IK stands for island kitchen. This important in this story. We were headed on a trip up to northern Ca. for a vacation. We decided to stop half way so we could get to our destination during mid day the following day. We get parking the CG and I go do my outside duties of unhooking, water and electric connections while the DW is inside running slides. I hear a Oh No! So I run in to see what is going on. Highway 99 was a real rough trip and during the trip the pantry cabinet door popped open and got hung up behind the slide and when DW saw this she stopped the slide and brought it back in all good right? No a cabinet door next to the stove also opened and is now stuck up under the island and has actually raised the island right out of the floor. We can put the slide out due to the pantry door and can run the slide in due to the other cabinet door hung on the island. Holly c***. So I have to break the cabinet door hung up on the island to resolve this mess. I was thinking what a huge disaster but the island is actually only held in by cleats and wasn't a big deal a few hundred dollars but I was sure upset.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    What I do to avoid dropping my 5th wheel onto the truck bed is lift the front legs 6" then activate the trailer brakes manually while pulling forward slowly. I do this as well as visually inspecting the jaws on the hitch to make sure they are closed.
    id this every time before driving off when driving semis, especially if parked overnight. "Pranksters" would see a parked truck/trailer and pull the 5th wheel handle, and if you didn't check it, there goes your trailer.
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think this is going to be a long thread
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Picked up my used Reflection 303RLS in Florida and on my way home to California. Pulled into a CG in Parker AZ and have only backed up a 5er a couple of times. Had to back into a spot and maneuver a few times and had to make some fairly tight turns. Still quite a ways back to the spot and maneuvering again in reverse and the trailer would hardly move. What the heck? Got out looked around, no obstructions, flat ground, hard pack sandy type ground, everything looks good. Tried backing up again, still would hardly move, hope its not the tranny or brakes messed up on the trailer. By now 2 rigs waiting to get by. Well just put some more power to it and backed in. Got front gear down and started unplugging stuff to unhitch. Wait... the breakaway switch is already disconnected but at the wrong end. Duh.... I guess in the tight turns backing up the breakaway switch cable caught on something and unplugged it from the switch. All brakes on.... Good thing I had 3 greased brakes that I didn't know about at that time or I may not have gotten it parked. Lesson, route the breakaway switch cable better.
    Pat&Marlene Gyrogearloose - 2010 Itasca Meridian 34y - 6.7 w/Allison 6spd - Jeep Wrangler Rubicon - previous Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by patwardell View Post
    Good thing I had 3 greased brakes that I didn't know about at that time or I may not have gotten it parked
    That's pretty funny. Sad, but funny nonetheless.
    Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast