User Tag List

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With the funnel adapter, it's very easy to line up the ball to the socket. That's not even a concern.

South TX, the only plastic I have on the adaptor is the funnel. The socket itself is aluminum and is not coated with a plastic overlay from what I can see and feel.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by minnow101 View Post
    With the funnel adapter, it's very easy to line up the ball to the socket. That's not even a concern.

South TX, the only plastic I have on the adaptor is the funnel. The socket itself is aluminum and is not coated with a plastic overlay from what I can see and feel.
    My "funnel" is steel - I think that is the early model. If I look up in the socket of the adapter, there is a white plastic thing that rides on the top of the hitch ball. If this is missing, I'm sure it would cause serious wear on the ball.

As you say, it couldn't be easier to line up the hitch as I can see the ball and socket from the drivers seat as well as on the center mount camera which zooms in on the hitch.
    John and Jean
    Springer Spaniel furkids Mea and (the late) Molly
    Blogs - BataanMissing.com - AirSafety.info
    2017 Ford F-350 6.7L CC SB, Andersen Ultimate Hitch.
    2018 Reflection 337RLS fifth wheel.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Harbor Freight has a set of extra-long allen wrenches with socket end - 3/8. I purchased a set of these for the red funnel adapter. I have a 1/2 inch torque wrench so I carry a 3/8 to 1/2 adapter.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The hitch pin adaptor I have is the "new" style with the red funnel but it also has a black plastic coating on the inside of the domed part of the funnel. Attached is a picture. Also attached is a picture of the ball from the hitch. It's a bit scuffed up and you can see some of the black liner scuffed on the ball. I've probably only towed my camper 200 miles so far. I'm not worried about it but do plan to keep an eye on it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180419_191836.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	12383
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180419_192047.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	89.2 KB 
ID:	12384
    2018 Reflection 28BH
    Andersen Ultimate Hitch ISR Version
    Predator 3500W Inverter Generator
    2017 Ram 3500 Mega cab SRW w/6.4L Hemi, Ramboxes, Active Air Rear Suspension
    2017 Aluma 8214HS
    2015 Lund Crossover 1775 XS

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My funnel is steel, just painted it orange so there's less chance of head boinking.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by torch1972 View Post
    My funnel is steel, just painted it orange so there's less chance of head boinking.
    Owners have called Andersen and they replaced the steel funnel with the plastic one at no charge.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've also heard the plastic ones can crack, steel works for me..

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Overall, I found this thread to be helpful and was one of the reasons I originally chose to go with the AUH as my first hitch. I had no issues with it in use and no functional complaints - it is very quiet, sturdy and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. It definitely serves a good nice in the market, especially for those with a short bed that want to save some weight and quickly/easily free up the bed. Most naysayers have never used the product, so shouldn't lend them any credence. I do think with a SB there is still the potential to hit the back window with an AUH, but the truck & trailer would have to be on two very different grades and driver not paying attention for it to happen.
    I did however recently make a hitch change with the new TV given the gain in payload capacity, and wanted to give an auto-slider a shot. Some of the reasoning for the change involved being tired of removing and re-attaching the pin cup when it had to go to the dealer; and didn't like the extreme angle I had to put the trailer to get it up and over the ball on the new TV given the height of these new trucks. I will say that I recently overnighted at an unseen campground where the RV pad was flat and just long enough for the 5er... but the truck was on a pretty good downward slope leaving the trailer very, very nose high on hitch when backed into the spot. It required some thought as to how much cribbing to put under the jacks, and I am fairly certain I would have had enough stroke up and then back down to level if I was still using the AUH... but that situation would be quite rare for most I'm sure.
    2022 Momentum 351M-R
    2019 Ford F450 Platinum CC 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; Truck Covers USA American Work Tonneau; B&W 25K hitch; Airlift 5000 Ultimate+ w/WirelessAir; ZRoadZ back-up lamps
    Gone: 2018 Reflection 28BH; 2017 Ford F350 Platinum CCSB 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; 2015 GMC Denali 2500HD CCSB Dmax
    Gone but still in the family: 2004.5 Chev 2500HD CCSB LTZ Dmax

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Poppy, is your truck bed 6.5' or 8'? We are trying to see if the AUH will work on our GMC 3500 Denali CC SB.
    Thanks!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check the tow thread for short beds

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast