Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim, that makes too much sense to happen
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still, after all the complaining only a handful of us has filed a report with NHTSA!!!!!

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gosh, I didn't realize we were in such an elite group! 1/10 of 1 percent?

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There should be at least the number showing on the poll!!!!!

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like LCI should start hiring 'Trained technicians' at the factory, maybe the failure rate will decrease. The issue didn't just appear a few weeks ago it has been ongoing since 2011 as I know from personal experience on my Sundance 5th wheel. It's all BS by some PR guy trying to make nice with Grand Design.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I figure I have to make a choice: 1) sell while i can cut my losses(before this situation makes it worthless, Or: 2)bite the bullet & replace with a diff. brand axle & brake setup. Both are unacceptable in my opinion.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by K&I337RLS View Post
    I figure I have to make a choice: 1) sell while i can cut my losses(before this situation makes it worthless, Or: 2)bite the bullet & replace with a diff. brand axle & brake setup. Both are unacceptable in my opinion.
    The easy solution is to find a reputable shop do the following: have the excess grease removed, wheel bearings inspected/cleaned/repacked, new seals (<$300). Inspect the brakes, replace if needed. This should be done every year.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim - I was in the middle of a response with exactly that same logic . . . and came back to find that you have described the plan (and the odds) exactly . Based on LCI's extensive knowledge of the situation, they should have no problem proving that only one brake has grease on it, across those 250 trailers to be checked. (Like that's ever going to happen.)

Just a reminder to LCI . . . finding OE factory grease (which is different than any grease that we can buy) on the brake shoes at initial hub disassembly can in no way be blamed on the person who then repairs the situation. There have been very few (if any ?) reports of subsequent greased brakes after the bearings have been properly repacked and the seals replaced.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    I have a proposal for LCI and Grand Design. Why not gather a team of technicians with their tools and head to multiple dealerships in Arizona and California with a good supply of Grand Design products. These units will have had 1,800 to 2,200 miles put on them since leaving Indiana. Obtain permission from the dealerships to do a 100% inspection. Using your own technicians remove and inspect each wheel and document the findings. This should be witnessed by unbiased observers such as customers or NHTSA employees. According to LCI's 1/10 of 1% number, there should be no more than one greasy brake on 200-300 units. Since it will only be your technicians, then you can take the inept customers out of the equation. If substantially more units are found to have greasy brakes, then you can use the data to try and solve this multi year puzzle. How about it?

Jim
    How about not just on the West Coast. They should do this test in other areas as well just as a control. Sure it'll cost them a little money doing the work in more than just one region but I think it's important to have a valid sample. I'm sure they can find plenty of GD rigs in Georgia and Florida and other areas around the Southeast.
    Greg & Cheryl and our mini schnauzer Molly
    NE Georgia
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2016 Ford F150XLT 5.0L 2WD, Equalizer WDH, factory towing package

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok now who is the snitch that called RV Daily Report. Congrats
    Ralph Mutchler

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast