Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerryr View Post
    I have a 2017 F-350 SRW, 6'9" bed, 4wd Crew Cab w/18" tires and I tow a 337RLS with an Andersen Ultimate. The truck came with factory gooseball prep. I also installed a Bedrug Bedliner so I cut a flap for the hitch ball.

I have the hitch mounted with the hitch ball to the rear tailgate. I have the adapter mounted so that the trailer is forward. It tows great. I've only towed it about 100 miles or so. Monday we're going on a 200 mile trip

The only thing, with the way the adapter is mounted is that with the tailgate down, when backing up to connect there's only about 4" or so from the tailgate to the trailer. I also need to back up pretty square.

I get plenty of clearance when turning and can go about 80 degrees and still not hit the rear window or side rails. I have the Andersen ball mounted in the center hole. With that I get 8" of clearance to the bed rails.

I may flip the adapter tpmmorow so I can get more clearance when tailgate is down. That will give me an additional 8". I just need to see how close the pin box comes to the side rails in tight backing turns.

Unloaded my bedrails are 59" off the ground. When the trailer is hooked up the truck rear goes down to 56" rail to ground and the trailer is pretty much level.

I just had a Bakflip F1 tonneau cover installed yesterday. I get good clearance with the cover folded and turning.

What a great and timely post for me. I got the exact same truck as you (even same color and F1 Bakflip) 4 days ago and am planning on a Reflection 5er. I have had every type of RV through the years except a 5er so am trying to learn about them and hitches. If you don't mind a quick and probably dumb question. There is another thread about how to attach safety chains to an Andersen but I really didn't understand what they were talking about as I know nothing about these hitches. Something about drilling holes in the hitch base to expose the factory pucks to attach chains is best I could figure out. So long story short, how do you attach your safety chains? I got the spray in liner and just the floor Bedrug as I plan on taking it out while towing or so i thought. Had full Bedrug in previous truck and loved it. Thanks. Dan

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Question for newer Andersen hitch users. If the trailer is lowered onto the new funnel system, I assume the ball slides down and "drops" into the cup. So what absorbs the lateral movement? Does it put stress on the trailer jacks as it slides?

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Parker View Post
    Question for newer Andersen hitch users. If the trailer is lowered onto the new funnel system, I assume the ball slides down and "drops" into the cup. So what absorbs the lateral movement? Does it put stress on the trailer jacks as it slides?
    Even the older ones did that as the edges of the cup were beveled but the funnel increases potential movement while engaging. The front legs are not ridged which allows for some movement, but as you lower, weight starts to be removed from the legs which helps them slide sideways a small amount. The Pullrite version of their similar hitch has had the funnel since the beginning, so this shouldn't be much of a problem. As pointed out in the following post, the truck moves as well.
    2015 Ford F350 SRW CrewCab SB 6.7 PSD, Andersen Ultimate fifth wheel hitch
    2012 Cougar High Country 299RKS, Mor/Ryde pin box, 300w of solar
    1/77 Armor Bn, 5th Mech, I Corps, RVN

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Parker View Post
    It does from both 5th and truck...
    Current;
    2017 Reflection 337LRS 5th with 2016 Silverado LTX 3500HD Duramax
    2019 Reflection 367BHS 5th permanent in RV park

Past;
    30' TH TT Weekend Warrior, 36' TH 5th Weekend Warrior (both with Ford F250 diesel)
    26' TT Shadow Cruiser, 30' TT Cougar (both with Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cub22908 View Post
    What a great and timely post for me. I got the exact same truck as you (even same color and F1 Bakflip) 4 days ago and am planning on a Reflection 5er. I have had every type of RV through the years except a 5er so am trying to learn about them and hitches. If you don't mind a quick and probably dumb question. There is another thread about how to attach safety chains to an Andersen but I really didn't understand what they were talking about as I know nothing about these hitches. Something about drilling holes in the hitch base to expose the factory pucks to attach chains is best I could figure out. So long story short, how do you attach your safety chains? I got the spray in liner and just the floor Bedrug as I plan on taking it out while towing or so i thought. Had full Bedrug in previous truck and loved it. Thanks. Dan
    For the first 3 years, no one had safety chains with the Andersen Ultimate (it's been available since 2012). Then forum threads started talking about goose neck hitches requiring safety chains. This is NOT a goose neck hitch. There are only 2 or 3 states that require safety chains for the AUH. I installed them just in case I am in one of those states, but don't bother attaching them most of the time. Bottom line is that you have time to decide whether you want them or not. It is my understanding that most folks don't use them and others wouldn't be without them.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs View Post
    For the first 3 years, no one had safety chains with the Andersen Ultimate (it's been available since 2012). Then forum threads started talking about goose neck hitches requiring safety chains. This is NOT a goose neck hitch. There are only 2 or 3 states that require safety chains for the AUH. I installed them just in case I am in one of those states, but don't bother attaching them most of the time. Bottom line is that you have time to decide whether you want them or not. It is my understanding that most folks don't use them and others wouldn't be without them.
    Thanks SkiSmuggs, That clears up a lot of what I have been reading and confused about. Dan

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cub22908 View Post
    If your never towed a 5er you will be in for a big smile on your face the first time you tow it.

We did a 3 1/2 hour trip today. We stopped after about 20 minutes to get something out of the trailer. I couldn't believe how windy it was. Towing in the wind was a dream. We passed a few bumper tow trailers and marveled at how much they were swaying and we didn't notice any sway.

You stated you have the floor Bedrug (bedmat?) I tried to order one and was told it wasn't available yet for the 17 short bed F-350. �� If you get an Andersen keep the bedmat and cut a hole for the gooseneck ball. The Bedrug will help keep your spray in liner looking like new.

If you don't have a Ford factory gooseneck/5th wheel kit then get a B&W gooseneck kit which has safest chain u-bolts that don't interfear with the Andersen hitch. http://www.etrailer.com/g-2017_Ford_...Rail+Kit&furl=

If you have a factory puck system then attaching safety chains requires some creativity. I'm waiting for a written response from Andersen on approval to drill holes to attach pucks. Until then I'm not worried about safety chains.

Edit: added picture of cut out for gooseneck ball flap in Bedrug.

I'm actually thinking of buying a Bedrug bedmat and putting it on top of my Bedrug when the Andersen hitch is not installed. I had a bedmat on a Bedrug on my F150 and liked the extra cushion.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1431.jpg  
    Last edited by Jerryr; 02-27-2017 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Added picture of Bedrug cutout.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerryr View Post
    If your never towed a 5er you will be in for a big smile on your face the first time you tow it.

We did a 3 1/2 hour trip today. We stopped after about 20 minutes to get something out of the trailer. I couldn't believe how windy it was. Towing in the wind was a dream. We passed a few bumper tow trailers and marveled at how much they were swaying and we didn't notice any sway.

You stated you have the floor Bedrug (bedmat?) I tried to order one and was told it wasn't available yet for the 17 short bed F-350. �� If you get an Andersen keep the bedmat and cut a hole for the gooseneck ball. The Bedrug will help keep your spray in liner looking like new.

If you don't have a Ford factory gooseneck/5th wheel kit then get a B&W gooseneck kit which has safest chain u-bolts that don't interfear with the Andersen hitch. http://www.etrailer.com/g-2017_Ford_...Rail+Kit&furl=

If you have a factory puck system then attaching safety chains requires some creativity. I'm waiting for a written response from Andersen on approval to drill holes to attach pucks. Until then I'm not worried about safety chains.

Edit: added picture of cut out for gooseneck ball flap in Bedrug.

I'm actually thinking of buying a Bedrug bedmat and putting it on top of my Bedrug when the Andersen hitch is not installed. I had a bedmat on a Bedrug on my F150 and liked the extra cushion.

Thanks for the response. I do have just the Bedmat and it is available now for the 2017 F350 shortbed. They have 2 models, one for spray in liner and one for without. I am really looking forward to towing a 5er as we are towing a regular trailer now. I have narrowed my hitch down to either a Sidewinder with B&W hitch or an Andersen Ultimate. I am leaning heavily to the Andersen right now as it seems to have the most positives. I do have the factory puck system so if you could update this thread with the response you get from Andersen I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks again for your help. Dan

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok all I am still a little confused. I understand all the weight savings, greaseless coupling, better articulation with the AUH but... I have been studying it and it seems that mounting the base moves your weight point from the truck gooseneck 5 + inches towards the tailgate, thus behind the axle,. Yes there is some distribution back to the gooseneck via the lever action but a lot goes to the base also which is way behind the axle. Some figures I have seen is loaded takes about 200 lbs off of the front axle. That can only happen is your weight is behind the rear axle. Then with the kin pin adapter it moves the hitch up 4" from that connection point. Bottom line it seems that you only move the kin pin point by 1 " vs. a slider that moves it 11-14" (depending on brand) or 22" with a sidewinder. Yes, I know you could mount the adapter plate backwards but that makes your pin box very long which could cause issues with side rail clearance.

It seems everyone is saying all is fine with the AUH and turning. From what I see, that same logic would say a regular 5th wheel hitch would be fine also and no slider or sidewinder pin box is ever needed. A normal fixed 5th wheel hitch does work but....

Somewhere I seem to be missing something. Sorry if I am beating a dead horse. I just don't want to buy the wrong hitch. This is my first 5th wheel.
    2017 F350 Bronze Fire XLT short bed SuperCab, SRW power stroke Diesel, 3.31 rear end, 18" AT tires
    Demco hijacker autoslide hitch
    2018 303RLS VIN#: 573FR3329J3313328. Built 4/2017. Dual AC's, freestanding table/chairs
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are missing that the pivot point is still 4" further back and that provides extra clearance. You are also missing that the pin adapter can be mounted in 2 opposite positions to move the fiver further back, effectively lengthening the pin box, or closer to the cab to shorten the pin box and prevent the pin box from hitting the bed sides (which is what I did). But the way newer fivers are built today, the 4" offset to the rear is enough to clear the cab in a short bed as it moves the pivot back also. With my non-slider hitch, I could turn about 75 degrees before jeopardizing both my cab and bed sides. With the AUH, I can turn 90 degrees without a problem. Moving the connect point back 4" barely unloads the front tire and I have no handling problems.
    I started with the Reese Sidewinder in a 5'7" bed and it was great. When I traded my F150 for an F350 SB (6'9"), I had to lock the Sidewinder so I could raise it enough to level because of the higher bed. Then I became very aware how rough and noisy the ride was. First, I replaced the Sidewinder with a MorRyde for a more cushioned ride, and then the AUH for lighter weight and cab clearance and less noise.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast