User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithS View Post
    Update....I finally decided to jack the 303 off the ground. I was procrastinating while trying to find 3" ID tubing, and someone to do the cutting and welding. I was almost going to forgo the pipe and place the jacks inside of the inside u bolt. Then, epiphany.... I have hundreds of one pound pure lead ingots and when one is placed on the jack saddle, it deforms nicely, cupping the axle. I store the RV inside a garage, so is not subject to wind movement. I was surprised about how much more force is needed to jack the street side than the curb side.
    I’m no metallurgist by any means, but I’m wondering if there are any issues with the lead touching the steel (dissimilar metals). I don’t know. Maybe the paint is enough of a buffer.

Regarding the heavier street side, some folks have upgraded their street side leafs to a 5 leaf spring as some folks have reported sagging on the street side. Do a search. Lots of discussion on this that you may find educational.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    According to the Anodic Index, lead and iron touching should not be a problem. The 303 factory spec sheet shows about 400 lbs. heavier on the street side. The frame is about .75" closer to the ground on the street side, which reflects that weight.
    2016 303RLS
    2010 Dodge 3500 SRW 4X4 Crew Cab, 3.73 axle ratio (now pushing 20,000 miles)
    Pullrite Superglide 16K
    Six five gallon fuel cans, converted away from CARB compliance, which reside, as needed, under my BAKflip G2

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob ignore my Q about the jack w/o the
    saddle I see that’s it’s the same jack that you used for the modification.
    Thanks.
    Mike and Sherri
    2019 Ford F-350 6.7 PowerStroke SRW Crew Cab 8’ 4x4
    2019 Grsnd Design Reflection 337RLS dual A/C

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't know if this fits in here or not... but...I saw that we should be using only the front legs to store the Reflection over the winter. I was a bit concerned about it as somewhere I read said that I should be having the trailer on jack stands...period. I decided to contact Lippert about the question and the response was that the levelers are electric and it was my call about having all four legs down or just the front. I was told to be sure to spray the legs with silicone. I can see raising the trailer if it had hydraulic lifters, but with the electric, I see no problem. Out previous 5th wheel had scissor jacks at the rear, so never a question. I leveled the 5th for the winter and that was that. I was concerned about the Reflection 303 however and decide to contact Lippert for their take on my question. I always have the Reflection on wood (not down on the blacktop) whenever it is on its pad and the tired covered..
    Happy campers! / Lorna & Eric and our little furball, Finnan, Canandaigua, NY
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali HD 6.6L Duramax Turbo Diesel, Allison 6 speed transmission, 5th wheel setup, Pullrite SuperGlide 20k
    2018 Reflection 303RLS Built 3/2018, Dual AC's

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My trailer sits in storage for approximately 5-6 months. I jack the trailer to release weight off the wheels while in storage. I used a short "beam" jack - the kind used to support structural beams such as in a house. I had the engineers at work take a look at my trailer and they gave me a game plan as to how many jacks and where to place them. I have an Imagine XLS 21BHE, which is smaller by comparison to most other trailers on this forum (5,000 lb storage weight). We positioned the jacks (2 each side) under the frame and we used the stabilizers to stabilize only. Since my trailer is outside on the ground as opposed to a concrete pad, we supported and leveled concrete sidewalk pads for the base. We then used a reinforced 2x8 base on top of the concrete pads to help disperse the jack weight. The beam jacks have height adjustment capabilities so it was very easy to get the trailer leveled in all directions. All seems to have worked out fine.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181026_1510559.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	17461

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181026_1510446.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	96.4 KB 
ID:	17463
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20181026_1510357.jpg  
    Last edited by macroman; 02-02-2019 at 09:27 AM. Reason: Changed Photos
    "Every Day Is A Good Day"

Marco
    Guelph, Ontario, Canada
    2019 Imagine XLS 21 BHE
    2017 Nissan NV3500 Van 5.6L V8 and decked out to tow.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    There have been a few cross references in recent discussions about how to lift all four tires off the ground during extended storage. The LCI manual recommends this, but of course recommends jacking by the frame. This would mean a high lift and the risk of flipping the spring shackles. I have received a couple of private messages on how I go about doing this with combination bottle jack / jack stands under the outer ends of the axles . . . so, I thought I would explain this in detail here. These stands are readily available, but to do this properly, I think adapters welded to the tops of the stands to fit uniformly to the round axle tube, are important. An alternative would be to use a wooden block across the U bolts as some do for service work, but I do not think that this will achieve the fore/aft and crosswise stability of the method that I use. This lifts the trailer about 2" from the height it would be if sitting on its tires.

Rob
    Rob - Really like the idea but never have been told or read anything recommending the weight-off scenario. I have parked all my TTs on treated 2X8s. None of them have been this big as 315 RLTS. I think I will initially look at the frame support configuration. Then I will be free to do the equalizer upgrade at my leisure. THEN move to the axle support config. in your well detailed PDF. Those all-in-one jack stands are awesome! It does lead me to another question: How to protect the exposed jack components (i.e. ram shaft) from corrosion. I do see the hex bolt in the pics. So, once stand is pinned in place, perhaps remove this bolt and bleed ram back into bottle?

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Myke View Post
    Rob - Really like the idea but never have been told or read anything recommending the weight-off scenario. I have parked all my TTs on treated 2X8s. None of them have been this big as 315 RLTS. I think I will initially look at the frame support configuration. Then I will be free to do the equalizer upgrade at my leisure. THEN move to the axle support config. in your well detailed PDF. Those all-in-one jack stands are awesome! It does lead me to another question: How to protect the exposed jack components (i.e. ram shaft) from corrosion. I do see the hex bolt in the pics. So, once stand is pinned in place, perhaps remove this bolt and bleed ram back into bottle?
    Hi Big Myke,

If you look through the LCI "Master Manual" that came with your rig, you will find the info in the attached screenshot about storing with weight off the tires. Pg 83 in the version that I have. Of course, LCI says "lift by the frame . . . don't touch our axles" . . . this is old news that has been much discussed on this forum. I (for one) think that supporting the axles with saddles between the U bolts is a far better and safer plan.

LCI's lack of understanding about the self-discharge rate of lead/acid batteries is obvious . . . but, I digress . . .

WRT corrosion on the jack ram . . . this has never been a problem. If you are concerned, spray these with a rust inhibitor that will not deteriorate the rubber seal on the jack, or wipe them down with hydraulic jack oil.

Rob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails LCI Manual.jpeg  
    Last edited by Cate&Rob; 02-15-2019 at 05:06 PM.
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I am having a small time understanding this. If Lippert recommends longer term storage with jack stands under the frame would this be to relieve stress from the axels, springs?
    If it would be for keeping weight off the tires, would this come from the tire manufacture?
    I only ask because when setting the jacks under the axels only removes the load from the tire/wheel assembly.
    I think if jack stands where to be placed under the frame this would relieve the axel assemblies thus removing the weight from the springs and allowing them to move to there state of arch designed for them and not become flat with the load setting on them all the time.
    Having said that , there are probably 9 out of 10 campers that never have done this over all the years and therefore what benefit would arise from this state?

Please help me to understand

Brian

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Brian @Country Campers

I agree that lifting by the frame would relax the springs and would be better. (I have a cargo trailer that I store like this)
    I store my Reflection in the driveway and if I blocked it up by the frame that would really get the neighbour's attention.
    Stored by lifting the axles, gets the tires just off the ground without anybody really noticing.
    So, for me, it's mostly about the tires.

On your "9 out of 10 campers have never done this" . . .
    I think this is more like 999 out of 1000 have never done this .

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Rob,
    A little off the subject. I was looking at buying some of these jack stand/bottle jacks on Amazon. Looking at the reviews there seems to be a lot of people that had issues with leaking seals and gave them a bad rating.
    Have any of you guys had problems with the quality of these? Do you think the 4000lb ones are good enough?
    They are less money than the 6000lb. Ones.
    Paul & Debbie
    2015 303RLS. #679 16” tires 2” lift
    2018 F350 SRW CCSB 4x4 6.7 Diesel 3.55 B&W Std Hitch

Sold 5/18. 2005 GMC 2500 HD Crew Cab short bed Duramax,

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast