User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bedroom Stairs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for sharing! Definitely raised the bar for design and function.
    2013 Silverado 3500HD / LWB / 2WD / Duramax-Allison
    2017 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Outstanding craftsmanship. Thanks for sharing.
    Mike & Jaimie :cool:
    2005 Chevrolet 2500HD LB 4x4 Durmax
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 11/2016
    2005 Crossroads Cruiser 29RE (2006-2017)
    2000 Skyline Nomad 2585 Bunkhouse (2003-2006)

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Ben - Nice job !! You obviously have some woodworking skills. Best version yet, I think.

Rob
    I agree! this is the best one yet. All I would change is maybe the black. Also add a carpet runner going down off the lading to make the steps less slick to feet with just socks on plus the 4 legged guys like having the extra traction.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all, I agree on the black BUT we HAD to match the existing cabinets. I agree on the slick steps, we will have to see how the first couple of uses go, them may decide to alter.
    Ben & Camille
    2022 Ford F450 King Ranch
    B&W Factory Puck 5th Wheel Hitch
    2016 Reflection 303RLS 4/2015

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really impressive! Looks great and very functional. How many hours did you have put into this mod?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cleazenby View Post
    Really impressive! Looks great and very functional. How many hours did you have put into this mod?
    Thanks cleanzenby, I think I put in about 25 hours over two weeks or so that does not include dry time. The longest piece was finishing and letting dry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ben & Camille
    2022 Ford F450 King Ranch
    B&W Factory Puck 5th Wheel Hitch
    2016 Reflection 303RLS 4/2015

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ben, Thank you for the prompt reply to my request for redoing the inside steps on the Reflection 29RS. The unit comes home this Saturday so now I will have a leg up on the project. After the install what is the height of the risers? Thanks again . John

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice work. Certainly a quality upgrade! Thanks for the inspiration

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Ben - Nice job !! You obviously have some woodworking skills. Best version yet, I think.

Rob
    Agreed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jbailey View Post
    After seeing the great work that others had done, I decided to tackle replacing the single tall stair up to the bedroom in our 303 with two steps. With a wife and child who seem to go through multiple shoe changes a day, I decided to build some drawers as well for shoes. Tearing out was easy and has been covered a couple of times, just take your time and remove all the screws both in the back on side of the unit.
    Attachment 7173Attachment 7174
    Next was measuring and cutting the risers, which took measuring and math and I drew it out several times before cutting them. Test fit those and then cut the support and facing for the lower drawer at a 45* angle to clear the door and provide the drawer glide a solid mounting. With this part cut, I was able to measure and cut both the drawers to fit. I used 1x6 for the supports and placed them to cover from the drawer front beyond the back of the stair to hopefully get as much support as possible. My largest concern at this point was give in the steps since I didn’t have a support in the middle of top step.
    Attachment 7175Attachment 7176Attachment 7177
    With the drawers cut and the supports in I moved on to the finished pieces. I used 1x12 Oak to cut the 10 inch stair treds and drawer fronts. Then I used the left over 1 2/5th strip that I backcut at a 45* angle to face the stair tred and cover the supports. After cutting I sanded down the rough edges with 80 grit and moved on to finish sanding with 120 and 220 grit. This gave me smooth joints with no felt transition between boards with my finger.

I used 1 coat of Ebony Minwax wood stain that I applied and let sit on the wood for 30 minutes (it was really cold in the shop, about 40*) then wiped the excess off. Next, I used Minwax Fast Drying Polyurethane sealant, applied the first coat and sanded with 400Grit. After blowing dust of and wiping down with a wet rag, I applied a second coat of Poly.

After letting dry, it was time for final assembly. I put the stair treds on and then put in the finished drawers. After fine tuning I put on the drawer fronts and adjusted to fit.
    I realized I made two mistakes, I cut the lower drawer support face too long and I need to fine tune the lower drawer slides, this is causing the lower support & drawer to stick out from the lower stair tread. A little fine sanding with stain touch up and backward movement of the drawer slide on the frame should fix it.
    Great project and one I have on my list as well. Thanks for sharing. I hope to start tearing mine out in the next month. Here in a Wisconsin it is wise to look at the forecast prior to planning extended outside work[emoji16] in the winter. Gives me the opportunity to draw it out and prepare the risers etc.

Kevin and Deb. 50ST8R
    2021 Grand Design Reflection 320 MKS
    2018 Ford F-350 SRW 4x4 Diesel Platinum Edition

[/SIGPIC]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast