User Tag List

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Westlake tires

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep and it made the 235/85/16's only 100 a piece after.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking at all the possibilities in 5th wheel tires. Have Westlakes on my 2016 27RL and they have about 20K miles on them without any problems. That included a trip on the Alaska roads. Want to get away from the Chinese tires so I am looking at the Big O Vanguard. anybody out there using this tire?
    Mike and Margarete
    2016 27RL
    2020 Dodge 2500 Diesel

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gestern1 View Post
    Looking at all the possibilities in 5th wheel tires. Have Westlakes on my 2016 27RL and they have about 20K miles on them without any problems. That included a trip on the Alaska roads. Want to get away from the Chinese tires so I am looking at the Big O Vanguard. anybody out there using this tire?
    Mike - I just looked at the Big O website, and the Vanguard has a pretty low rating of 3.5 out of 5. But there were not many reviews. Here is a snapshot of two of them.

Jim

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You said that you wanted to get away from China made tires. I'm not 100% sure, but I do believe that Vanguard is a China made tire. It is marketed by a company that distributes many different brand of tires that mostly come from China. I could be wrong, but if I was a betting man.........

Maybe someone else could chime in here.
    2018 Momentum 376TH
    2016 RAM 3500 Dually

Gone Traveling
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gestern1 View Post
    Not sure if you are doing this based on performance concerns or wanting to just "Buy American". The later is admirable, the former is difficult.

Major tire companies manufacture all over the world, so regardless of brand, I don't think you'll know where it was made until you see it stamped on the tire. Your safest bet is probably Goodyear, but depending on model and type, there are performance concerns there also.

On my current coach, I have Sailun tires - a Chinese brand. At somewhere around 25K miles, they still look pretty good. More importantly, on my current coach forum, Sailun tires have practically no problems noted (I say "practically" because I have never seen a complaint but there may be one somewhere in there) and they get very good reviews. If I need to replace tires on my new Solitude, I will use Sailun based on their performance and reputation.

By the way, I think other reasons why my tires perform well are because I always insure proper inflation pressure and because I use Centramatic dynamic tire balancers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce.a.anderson View Post
    Waiting to get a trailer tire replaced. Several days ago we stopped at Wal-Mart intending to stay the night. Unfortunately city ordinances prohibit overnight parking. Went back to thes trailer and discovered a flat tire. Roadside2 service removed bad wheel and mounted spare.
    Now for the interesting part. Nobody stocks this tire brand. I needed to fill out a claim form, send pictures of the tire and wait for approval. Once approved they would ship me a tire which I would take to any tire store and have them replace the tire. Duh! I don't want to be stuck somewhere for a week waiting for UPS to deliver me a tire.
    Anyone else have this experience?
    Bruce

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk
    No spare tire with you?

I replaced all my factory Westlake's with G rated Sailuns as soon as I took delivery. Nobody wants the Westlakes so they sit stacked in the garage.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    George and Sally

2006 Ford F-550 4x4
    2017 F-450 King Ranch Dually 4X4
    2017 Grand Design Solitude 369RL, Load Range G tires added
    Three 160 Watt Solar panels up top, W/D and Dishwasher
    2006 Lance 1191 side entry truck camper, 1 slide

Left The Driveway Lupaland.Walker's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This may be water under the bridge, but one of my Westlakes stayed inflated but the rubber peeled off and did major damage to the drivers side of the RV.
    I immediately bought and had installed 4 new Goodyear RSTs.
    I couldn't believe the difference in towing, handling, braking. All superior vs the Westlakes.
    The GY RSTs are rated or 75mph and take 110 PSI. Now that's a Tire!!

Gone Traveling
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lupaland.Walker View Post
    This may be water under the bridge, but one of my Westlakes stayed inflated but the rubber peeled off and did major damage to the drivers side of the RV.
    I immediately bought and had installed 4 new Goodyear RSTs.
    I couldn't believe the difference in towing, handling, braking. All superior vs the Westlakes.
    The GY RSTs are rated or 75mph and take 110 PSI. Now that's a Tire!!
    Just a quick question - are your rims rated for 110 psi?

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigGuy82 View Post
    Just a quick question - are your rims rated for 110 psi?
    Dick, several have checked into this in the jpast and yes the rims from GD (lions head) are rated for 125 psi if opI remember correctly with metal valve stems.
    2017 F350 Bronze Fire XLT short bed SuperCab, SRW power stroke Diesel, 3.31 rear end, 18" AT tires
    Demco hijacker autoslide hitch
    2018 303RLS VIN#: 573FR3329J3313328. Built 4/2017. Dual AC's, freestanding table/chairs
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Left The Driveway Lupaland.Walker's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes the rims are rated for 110 psi. That's the first thing Discount Tire in Flagstaff, AZ checked,
    I can't remember exactly, but when the tire tech took the first tire off the RV we looked at either a code or a direct rating stating 110 stamped or etched in the mounting surface of the rim.
    On a kinda funny note - this dealer stocks over 20 of my size of these Goodyear RSTs because so many other RVers within 100's of miles from their location on I40 have the same need for 4 new tires due to 1 failing.
    When that 1 original Westlake tire peeled I sure didn't want to keep the other 3 not to mention getting a set of 4 that match.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast