User Tag List

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only pics I've seen of Andersen hitch failures, have been the aluminum goose ball version. None with the steel rail mount. Which is what I have.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180915_171243.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	97.7 KB 
ID:	17211
    People keep telling me to follow my dreams...so I went back to bed

2019 303rls
    2017 GMC 2500hd ccsb 2wd 6.0 gas
    Andersen ultimate rail mount hitch

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a little better than connecting the chains to the AUH itself but still not correct. If the gooseball comes loose your RV and AUH will go flying down the road
    Donald AKA johndeerefarmer
    2020 Ford F350 Powerstroke diesel
    2017 F150 ecoboost max tow
    2016 Reflection 29RS VIN# 573FR322XG3305717

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post
    But you said you had seen many pictures of damage caused by hard braking. Where are the pictures of hitches damaged by hard braking?
    I'll play along with you once more. Since I already pointed out to you that I never said "many", as you're now claiming, and previously that I never said "many, many", as you claimed in another post, I can only surmise that you like to throw around inaccurate superlatives as a way to get something started. You have mischaracterized what I said twice now, even after I corrected you.

I remember seeing a FB post where the owners said they braked hard, collapsed the hitch, and warned people about the hitch not holding up. They posted pictures of the hitch (I don't know how many pictures they posted, so notice how I refrain from saying they posted "many pictures" or "many, many pictures"). Others who weren't there then launched into a discussion about what they thought really happened, which was all speculative, but the pictures of the collapsed hitch were indisputable unless you think they were photoshopped. The owner's opinion of the hitch was clearly stated in the posting. The other picture shows a hitch where the ball was sheared and the safety chains kept the trailer connected. That hitch was also collapsed and twisted. Indisputable that the hitch failed absent a photoshop job. I'm not looking for more pictures to comfort you.

"Enough" (what I really said) - a substantial amount for me to form a personal opinion that I wouldn't completely trust the hitch to hold up under a hard braking or emergency situation. Sorry, entitled to my opinion, whether you agree or not.

"Many, many" and "many" - an exaggerated interpretation of "enough".

To all you AUH owners out there, I'd still love you if you were my brother, whether you owned Andersen, B&W, Reese, Chevrolet, Ram, Ford, Nissan...and even if you used Royal Purple.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by yattr0 View Post
    Sorry if this has been coveted elsewhere but I have bern away from the forum for a while.

Anderson now affers a chain mount that installs under the goose ball in the bed. Just got one and it is a great solution for my application. In the Silverado bed the hitch base does align with the bed attacment points for the chain inserts such that holes can be cut in the flat plate.

I also had one of the heads of the allen bolts split. Called Anderson and they sent me 4 replacements along with 2 longer bolts for the plastic funnel. My origanal hitch came with the metal funnel and the original bolts are a bit short. All at no cost.

I continue to prefer the Anderson over the traditional solutions. Don’t plan on ever going backto the dark side. [emoji6]
    So the chain mount install has no effect on the gooseball insertion either in depth or degree of level? That was my plan when I get a fifth wheel with the AUH but was unsure how it would effect the gooseball connection. (I have a F350 with the fifth wheel factory install)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I own a 2018 GMC Denali 2500 HD crew cab standard bed, pulling a Reflection 150 series 290bh, with the AUH. We've traveled around 3000 miles towing our 5'er, no safety chains at all, ever, and have never experienced a single problem.

As far as the pinbox hitting the rails, I've never had it hit them. I did have the pin box come in contact with the top of the tailgate, but that was because of the angle of the hill we we're crossing and not because of a defect or issue with the AUH. In Ohio, we were crossing an elevated railroad track and the front truck was angled down, while the front of the trailer angled up creating a teepee affect.

I hope this helps.
    Iraq/Afghanistan Veteran - UMICH BBA, M.B.A.
    2018 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Denali 6.0
    2018 Grand Design 150 series Reflection 290 BH
    Bride - Anna, Son - Robert, and Gracie "the dog"
    Flint, Michigan

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FLTom52 View Post
    So the chain mount install has no effect on the gooseball insertion either in depth or degree of level? That was my plan when I get a fifth wheel with the AUH but was unsure how it would effect the gooseball connection. (I have a F350 with the fifth wheel factory install)

Tom,

You can always do what I did. I drilled 3-1/4” holes in the base plate and use the Ford pucks for the chains. The pucks serve a dual purpose of attachment for the chains and also preventing the hitch from rotating in the bed.

The pucks also will provide a secure attachment point if the goose ball breaks or for some reason comes dislodged.

Andersen told me that it was perfectly fine to modify the hitch by drilling the holes and asked me to send them pictures of the mod when it was completed. I sent them pictures and a print of hole locations which are attached below.

Jerry

Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All y'all convinced me to start using chains. Luckily, this truck came with "D" rings to attach the chains to. Better safe than sorry.
    2018 Solitude 375 RES 2022 F450 Powerstroke Dually

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick Noble View Post
    All y'all convinced me to start using chains. Luckily, this truck came with "D" rings to attach the chains to. Better safe than sorry.
    There are some states that require chains with anything involved with a gooseneck.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where are people attaching the chains to the trailer?
    Allyn & Sue
    2018 Reflection 303RLS
    2016 F350 Lariat PS 6.7
    Andersen Ultimate Connection 2

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Differnt bolts at the pin

The bolts in the first picture are replacd with the 2nd picture
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3DF18AD0-6156-4949-AA5B-63C6EFF8B421.jpeg 
Views:	39 
Size:	65.6 KB 
ID:	17239Click image for larger version. 

Name:	75A73F78-3BC6-4B35-8096-1C4CD8F2230E.jpeg 
Views:	27 
Size:	54.9 KB 
ID:	17240
    Current;
    2017 Reflection 337LRS 5th with 2016 Silverado LTX 3500HD Duramax
    2019 Reflection 367BHS 5th permanent in RV park

Past;
    30' TH TT Weekend Warrior, 36' TH 5th Weekend Warrior (both with Ford F250 diesel)
    26' TT Shadow Cruiser, 30' TT Cougar (both with Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi)

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast