User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Andersen Ultimate hitch/safety chain question(s)

Looking to purchase a Reflection shortly, and I'm looking at hitches. I think I've settled on the Anderson, but have a few questions for actual users.
    1. Do you use safety chains? If so, how do you hook them up? I have the Chevy 3500 with factory fifth wheel prep, and it would appear the hitch would cover the pucks, negating the ability to use those for anchor points. Pullrite makes a gooseneck ball with safety chain plate, but it appears it's only for Ford (part 4437 for those interested)
    2. for those with the short bed, which direction do you mount the adapter? Will the Reflection pinbox hit the side rails in the normal position?
    Thanks
    Eric

Fireside Member Jerry & Barbara's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the same question. I called Andersen. He said most people simply loop the chains around the rear legs of the hitch. I have a short bed 6 3/4 feet. I have the ball closest to the tailgate. Have not done much towing yet, but it appears to give me plenty of turning room so far. As soon as I get the trailer back form the dealer (brakes), I plan to test out the turning radius etc.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I've been using the Andersen for over 2 years now. Towing all around the US (over 35,000 miles easy) without ever having a problem or a question. I now have a new Andersen for my new truck and I still will not be using safety changes.

On the rail versions it's actually quite simple just by purchasing a set of chain loops that attach to open slots in the rail (Curt makes them).
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are a number of threads discussing many aspects of the Andersen hitch, including cutting holes in the hitch frame to access the pucks for attaching the safety chains. Search on Andersen (with two e's) to find these other threads.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In Texas any trailer that connect to tow vehicle using a ball, is required to use safety chains. They will write tickets for no chains!
    Ron
    2016 Reflection 317RST
    2012 Ram 3500, SRW, CC, LB 4x4 6.7 Cummins
    Katy, Texas

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry if this has been coveted elsewhere but I have bern away from the forum for a while.

Anderson now affers a chain mount that installs under the goose ball in the bed. Just got one and it is a great solution for my application. In the Silverado bed the hitch base does align with the bed attacment points for the chain inserts such that holes can be cut in the flat plate.

I also had one of the heads of the allen bolts split. Called Anderson and they sent me 4 replacements along with 2 longer bolts for the plastic funnel. My origanal hitch came with the metal funnel and the original bolts are a bit short. All at no cost.

I continue to prefer the Anderson over the traditional solutions. Don’t plan on ever going backto the dark side. 😉
    Last edited by yattr0; 01-15-2019 at 10:25 PM.
    Current;
    2017 Reflection 337LRS 5th with 2016 Silverado LTX 3500HD Duramax
    2019 Reflection 367BHS 5th permanent in RV park

Past;
    30' TH TT Weekend Warrior, 36' TH 5th Weekend Warrior (both with Ford F250 diesel)
    26' TT Shadow Cruiser, 30' TT Cougar (both with Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't want to start a war with the AUH fan boys, but I have seen enough photos of those hitches crumpling under hard braking that I wouldn't touch one.

I use the Reese Goose Box. Lift the trailer off the ball, and instant clean bed. Nothing to store away except the gooseneck ball.

And no, I wouldn't run one without the safety chains. God forbid something bad happens and it's found you were legally required to have safety chains on a ball hitch but you didn't. They are cheap insurance against lots of bad things, including losing everything you have if an accident went bad and an investigation from an ambulance chaser turned up violations of the law that may have mitigated damages.

My opinion and worth every penny you pay for it.
    Last edited by Leon T; 01-16-2019 at 04:41 AM.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon T View Post
    Don't want to start a war with the AUH fan boys, but I have seen enough photos of those hitches crumpling under hard braking that I wouldn't touch one.

I use the Reese Goose Box. Lift the trailer off the ball, and instant clean bed. Nothing to store away except the gooseneck ball.

And no, I wouldn't run one without the safety chains. God forbid something bad happens and it's found you were legally required to have safety chains on a ball hitch but you didn't. They are cheap insurance against lots of bad things, including losing everything you have if an accident went bad and an investigation from an ambulance chaser turned up violations of the law that may have mitigated damages.

My opinion and worth every penny you pay for it.
    How up about some links to all these many, many pictures?
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post
    How up about some links to all these many, many pictures?
    Do a search on this forum and you'll see some crumpled AUH. Use Duck Duck Go or Google as well. I didn't say "many, many" either, I said "enough" but nice try. Here is one to get you started...Attachment 17198

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    notice its still attached, i'm sure there is a story to go with the picture.

I love my Anderson hitch!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast