Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Used Ford F250

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanlcarter View Post
    Paul - we currently have a '17 2800BH bumper pull. Our tow trunk is a F150. At times the tach likes to sit due North especially on inclines. We are within weight limits but are certainly pushing the upper end. For now we are happy with the RV but I see a 5th wheel in my future at some point. You made a great suggestion as to whether to purchase a 3/4 vs a 1 ton. I don't see a big cost difference. I think where I am most confused now is that with used diesels I am seeing that most of the owners have made emission modifications. I certainly don't want a money pit .
    Don't quote me on this, but as I understand it before the invention of using DEF fluid to treat the exhaust to reduce pollution, the diesel engine makers resorted to recirculating the exhaust gases back into the engine and reburning it until the enough of the pollutants were burned off. Because the exhaust gasses were dirty, this caused all sorts of engine fouling and premature wear and tear of the engine. It was/is common to remove all the pollution controls on these engines (referred to as "deleting") to prevent the problems. An aftermarket engine controller that reprograms the functions of the engine is usually required when this is done to make the engine run smoothly after the delete is done. As you can imagine, doing a "delete" of the pollution controls is not necessarily ok with the EPA, and in a state like mine where annual inspections of the pollution control system of the engine is required, is a bit of a problem.

Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) reduces the pollutants in a completely different way. DEF is injected into the exhaust pipeline and traps the pollutants which then gets collected in special filters. When the filter gets full a "regen burn" is done, which heats the filter up along with whole exhaust system up to a very high temperature to burn the entrapped pollutants off. The downsides to using DEF is that you have to buy DEF and refill the DEF tank every now and then, when a regen is done your fuel mileage drops quite a bit, and when a regen is done your exhaust system extremely hot. The first time my truck did a regen I happen to be pulling into my driveway. I thought my truck was on fire because of the very strong burning smell. The benefit of DEF is that all this happens outside the engine and thus does not seem to affect the engine life like earlier pollution control systems did. Most if not all new diesel engines use DEF from the biggest commercial trucks to farm tractors. I think most people leave the pollution controls on the DEF engines.

John
    John, Heidi and our 2 Cocker Spaniels Venus & Big Papi
    2016 Relfection 30BH 5th wheel
    2016 F350 SRW CC SB 6.7 Diesel 4x4
    Pullrite Superglide with Superrails

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All of you have provided great information and it is appreciated. It has certainly been eye opening. I have read the term 'deleted' a lot as I have been looking for a used truck. The search shall continue
    Bryan, Julie and our Yorkie - Addie
    2017 Imagine 2800BH
    2008 F250 Super Duty Crew Cab SRW 6.4L 4WD
    EZ Hitch equal-i-zer

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have a 2014 Ford 250 Diesel Lariat, 6.7 L, Heavy Duty with 98K. About 12.8 mpg on the flat. Pulls 303rls like a dream. Hills are no problem. Have had some emission problems all covered on my extended warranty. Use the Andersen setup which I can easily remove.
    You might want the larger fuel tank depending upon your bladder capacity.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BSOhio View Post
    Have a 2014 Ford 250 Diesel Lariat, 6.7 L, Heavy Duty with 98K. About 12.8 mpg on the flat. Pulls 303rls like a dream. Hills are no problem. Have had some emission problems all covered on my extended warranty. Use the Andersen setup which I can easily remove.
    You might want the larger fuel tank depending upon your bladder capacity.

This post is from 2017, I'd think he's long since made his decision.
    2018 Reflection 28BH
    2019 F350 Platinum 6.7L LB 4x4

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have one of the very last 7.3 F250's made, and it's 16 1/2 years old. With 145k miles, it still has plenty of life in it.

But if I was buying a used 3/4 ton diesel, I'd be looking for a more modern truck. I certainly wouldn't be looking at any truck that's had emission systems bypassed unless it was converted by a really top notch diesel shop. And I'd be looking for a F350, even if it was a single rear wheel version. We RVers have enough frustrations than to have to worry about an old truck breaking down on us on the open road.

I was out of town today, and went through a city that has an overabundance of used car lots. I cannot tell you how many SuperDuty trucks and 3500 trucks I saw. They're just not that difficult to find.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    You were lucky. My son currently owns one and has spent $4500 for repairs in the last four years. He's at about 150K miles. Most Ford forums are really down on the 6.0L. The 6.7 (which I currently own) is an amazing machine. So are the old 7.3's.

Jim
    Hey Jim...
    As y'all can see, I'm driving a 2001 F250 wt that 7.3 International engine. LOVE IT.
    Presently have less than 150K on her, but that engine has been great to me.
    The 4R100 trans wasnt the best match for the engine bc of that tiny 4 row tranny cooler so I put in the 25 row Ford tranny cooler from their 6.0 and it runs cool as a cucumber. Has never needed rebuilding.
    Even after towing 18,000 miles to the West coast and back the tranny fluid was as clear as new !! Got 11 to 13 mpg on flats !
    Only 6 sensors, no DEF, and a rated tow capacity of 12,500 is a good match.
    My 307 has GVW of 9,800# and a pin wt of 1,604#. Works fine for my needs, so I'd rather keep my $$$ in the bank ! [emoji4]
    Besides she's almost in mint condition.

If you can find a fully rebuilt F-250 wt the 6.0, I've heard they are a good value and hold up very well afterwards.
    Avoid the 6.4 at all costs, the engine was designed as a throw-a-way answer to the 6.0 nightmares, cannot be rebuilt.
    The 6.7 beasts are a great truck if you need payload, but cost a fortune to repair, so ext wrrty is a MUST.
    Have heard about premature injector failures but IDK how accurate that is on average ??
    If looking at a Ram, you can order a Tradesman model with the Cummins diesel. It won't have all the bells and whistles of the Big Horn, but its a ton cheaper (if you're the practical type.)

Hope this helps,
    Michael

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    Previously known as mikgala

F-250 7.3 PSD Lariat Super Cab LB wt 152K - 25 row Ford tranny cooler, A&E Air Intake system, TS-6 high performance Super Chip, Air Ride airbags, Bilstein shocks

2017 Reflection 307 MKS 9,875 UVW / 12,995 GVWR / 1,605 Pin

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikgala View Post
    Hey Jim...
    As y'all can see, I'm driving a 2001 F250 wt that 7.3 International engine. LOVE IT.
    Presently have less than 150K on her, but that engine has been great to me.
    The 4R100 trans wasnt the best match for the engine bc of that tiny 4 row tranny cooler so I put in the 25 row Ford tranny cooler from their 6.0 and it runs cool as a cucumber. Has never needed rebuilding.
    Even after towing 18,000 miles to the West coast and back the tranny fluid was as clear as new !! Got 11 to 13 mpg on flats !
    Only 6 sensors, no DEF, and a rated tow capacity of 12,500 is a good match.
    My 307 has GVW of 9,800# and a pin wt of 1,604#. Works fine for my needs, so I'd rather keep my $$$ in the bank ! [emoji4]
    Besides she's almost in mint condition.

If you can find a fully rebuilt F-250 wt the 6.0, I've heard they are a good value and hold up very well afterwards.
    Avoid the 6.4 at all costs, the engine was designed as a throw-a-way answer to the 6.0 nightmares, cannot be rebuilt.
    The 6.7 beasts are a great truck if you need payload, but cost a fortune to repair, so ext wrrty is a MUST.
    Have heard about premature injector failures but IDK how accurate that is on average ??
    If looking at a Ram, you can order a Tradesman model with the Cummins diesel. It won't have all the bells and whistles of the Big Horn, but its a ton cheaper (if you're the practical type.)

Hope this helps,
    Michael

The weights you've given appear to be unloaded vehicle and pin weights from the factory. The 307 has a GVW of 12,995. I'd bet the pin weight is commensurately higher. I got kind of excited when I thought a floorplan like that could be only 9800 lb GVW!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefblueman View Post
    The weights you've given appear to be unloaded vehicle and pin weights from the factory. The 307 has a GVW of 12,995. I'd bet the pin weight is commensurately higher. I got kind of excited when I thought a floorplan like that could be only 9800 lb GVW!
    Hey Chief,
    You are right in that I should've said UVW is 9 880 # BUT the pin wt IS 1,604 #.
    My weights are accurate.

What you're referring to is the GVWR which is 12,995 , the max weight the trailer is rated to safely handle.
    My reasoning for this model was purely from an engineering position.

I, like most others, had wanted a 303 rls.
    After joining the forum and reading the many probems owners were having with slide weight disparities (600 lb difference), suspension issues, broken hangers from a 2" lift tube welded to the frame, 5200 # axles on only an 8" I-beam frame, 15 " wheels etc...
    I had given up on the 303 and almost quit on GD entirely.
    Then, the 307 MKS came online (out of nowhere.) I saw its 10" I- beam frame,
    6,000# axles wt 3K springs, 16" wheels,
    6K to 8K Equa-Flex suspension AND the GVWR of 12.995#, way more than I needed.

Plus the frig was NOT on the slides but on the back wall which made both slide weights within 100 lbs of each other !!!
    Plus I got a real nice roomy kitchen counter with a window, and a great desk with a adequate view for my laptop photo work.

Now...I.will NEVER carry 3,000 lbs BUT i love that it is over-built this way.
    With the twisting and flexing these go through, I sleep better knowing this.

I lose the big rear window and seating is on the opposite side of trailer but the upsides far outweighs any downside.
    The only surprise I missed was the kitchen gray water has a rear sewer drain.
    I still use just one sewer line and just switch it back whenever I need to drain that gray tank. No problem.
    37 gal is a lot of sink water so I rarely need to dump until ready to move on.
    1Can last a week plus btwn drainings.

Michael

Previously known as mikgala

F-250 7.3 PSD Lariat Super Cab LB wt 152K - 25 row Ford tranny cooler, A&E Air Intake system, TS-6 high performance Super Chip, Air Ride airbags, Bilstein shocks

2017 Reflection 307 MKS 9,875 UVW / 12,995 GVWR / 1,605 Pin

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12