User Tag List

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rear Observation/Backup Camera

My Reflection 29RS is pre-wired for a rear camera. Has anyone installed and spliced into one of the clearance lights wiring? This would shut off the electrical current to the camera (I think) when the tow vehicle is not running, thus eliminating the constant battery drain if the camera is just plugged into the existing pre-wire. Am I on the right track?

Also, my aluminum hot water tank does not require an annod rod. However, I have had service techs at several RV shops tell me that I should use one. Reading in the manual that came with this unit it states, "don't use an annod rod." Which direction have you gone regarding this issue?

Winddrinker

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as the camera I installed the furion when I bought the camper last October. It worked all the time, even when parked and plugged into shore power which irritated me. I took it to the dealer and had them wire it to the running lights so I can turn it off via switching off the running lights in the daytime. The tapped into one of the wires near the camera mount. My rig is a 2017 also. I understand that some of the 2017's and later models are wired differently and they don't run constantly but maybe someone can verify this. Also as far as the furion cameras there are two different models. One is backup only. I opted for the other model that you can use going down the highway as well. Great to see vehicles behind you and it is wonderful to see you've cleared a car when you pass them.
    Sorry I can't help you with the water heater issue.
    "Never give up, Never slow down, Never grow old, Never ever die young"
    (James Taylor)

2019 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    2012 GMC 2500HD
    B&W Turnover ball
    Anderson Ultimate Hitch

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The modern Atwood water heaters are made from aluminum which is non-ferrous. The anode rod would not work with it. It still shocks people that they make water heaters without anode rods. Atwood has more information on the website about care and use, mostly cleaning the tank. Here is Atwood FAQ on this subject.

I just picked up my Imagine and I was told during the PDI that the camera on the newer Reflections and Imagines that the camera power was hooked up to the marker lights. I have not pulled mine and tested but from all the comments I don't believe the service tech. Even when I suggested that was not the experience other owners reported, he claimed it was not powered all the time. Interested to hear other owners feedback and your experience. I will pull mine later this week.

I am also looking at using a wifi camera other then the furrion. I want the OEM look but better quality at a more reasonable price point. I have the parts on-hand I just need to test the if the wifi adapter can be adapted to fit in the furrion housing.

Looking forward to hearing how it goes for you.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just installed the furrion camera today on our 2017 360 solitude and it has power all the time for the time being. I'll eventually rewire so it doesn't constantly draw power. I have solar so not real concerned.

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes - fished hot wire from top center running light (above mount). If you use the search function on the forum, you'll find a number of threads on this topic.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scothuffman View Post
    I just installed the furrion camera today on our 2017 360 solitude and it has power all the time for the time being. I'll eventually rewire so it doesn't constantly draw power. I have solar so not real concerned.
    The concern is the camera is apparently not designed to be on constantly, other members have reported camera failure from being on all the time.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSpareTire View Post
    The concern is the camera is apparently not designed to be on constantly, other members have reported camera failure from being on all the time.
    Furion makes two different versions. One IS listed as "backup/observation" camera. The other is just backup.
    (James Taylor)

2012 GMC 2500HD
    B&W Turnover ball
    Anderson Ultimate Hitch

Fireside Member Jerry & Barbara's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see two model numbers of Furrion observation cameras. FOS48TAPK-BL, and FOS48TA-BL. What is the difference, and which one are most people using? Do these cameras fit into the existing mount on the trailer?2017 Reflection 303RLS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The FOS48TAPK-BL includes the bracket that is already installed on your trailer. You want FOS48TA-BL which fits the existing mount.

Here is a plug and play alternative to the expensive Furrion kit - http://www.4ucam.com/Digital-Wireles...ht-Vision.html

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought the FOS48TAPK-BL and yes it had the bracket. I got it on Amazon Prime for over $100 cheaper than anywhere else I'd seen them. I figured you never know, the extra bracket may come in handy someday. I know the Furion is expensive but one backup failure will cost more. Last summer we did a Jimmy Buffett tour of Florida and it was worth it's weight in cheeseburgers. I took a wrong turn during a heavy rain and ended up on a dead end road. Using the camera I did about a 10 point turnaround and wifey didn't have to get out in the rain to help me.
    (James Taylor)

2012 GMC 2500HD
    B&W Turnover ball
    Anderson Ultimate Hitch

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast