User Tag List

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kidwell View Post
    I have a related question. Just bought a 2014 F-150 and plan to purchase a 2017 Reflection 27RL by the end of the month. The truck has absolutely everything I want EXCEPT a backup camera so I want to install an after-market kit. I also want to put a camera on the back of the RV so the system needs to be able to handle at least 2 cameras. Any recommendations?

Thanks much.
    I bought my camera fo the F250 from Camera source they may have onr for a F150 they camera is in the mirror which you replace the OEM. I don't know of anything that will do 2 cameras

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in the process of trading my 2016 F250 for a 2017 F350. The F250 didn't have any cameras, but I found it relatively simple to add them. Hardest part was finding a location for the monitor - that's a whole subject in itself. I had a camera on each side of the fiver as well as the rear. I also added one to the license plate. The four channel monitor was mounted on the lower cup holder (no console in that truck). Sourced everything on amazon and ebay.

I pick up the new truck in a couple of days and it has a tailgate and cab mounted camera connected to the screen in the dashboard. Not a lot of extra dash space in this one so I plan to connect to the Ford system. This site seems to have all the necessary bits. https://camera-source.com
    John and Jean
    Springer Spaniel furkids Mea and (the late) Molly
    Blogs - BataanMissing.com - AirSafety.info
    2017 Ford F-350 6.7L CC SB, Andersen Ultimate Hitch.
    2018 Reflection 337RLS fifth wheel.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthTX View Post
    ... I plan to connect to the Ford system.https://camera-source.com
    My 2017 F-250 has the "Ultimate Tow Camera System". What stinks is the cameras will not turn on over ~5 mph. Very annoying, especially when the car I traded (2015 Honda CRV) had a passenger-side camera I could turn on as desired to monitor my blind spot on the right side of the car.

My point--if you were used to being able to use your cameras whenever desired you might want to ensure you'll have the same flexibility after connecting into the 2017 Ford's system.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howson View Post
    My 2017 F-250 has the "Ultimate Tow Camera System". What stinks is the cameras will not turn on over ~5 mph. Very annoying, especially when the car I traded (2015 Honda CRV) had a passenger-side camera I could turn on as desired to monitor my blind spot on the right side of the car.

My point--if you were used to being able to use your cameras whenever desired you might want to ensure you'll have the same flexibility after connecting into the 2017 Ford's system.
    Thanks, that's a good point. I'm used to using the camera to know when it is safe to change lanes. Nice to be able to keep an eye on a bicycle rack on the back, too. I'm hoping that the aftermarket system is usable at cruise speed. If not, perhaps Forscan will allow the change.
    John and Jean

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kidwell View Post
    I have a related question. Just bought a 2014 F-150 and plan to purchase a 2017 Reflection 27RL by the end of the month. The truck has absolutely everything I want EXCEPT a backup camera so I want to install an after-market kit. I also want to put a camera on the back of the RV so the system needs to be able to handle at least 2 cameras. Any recommendations?

Thanks much.
    Hi Michael,

I went with the Garmin 760 Nav System which can accommodate a back-up camera. The wireless camera is paired to the Nav System base, so I have two cameras and two bases. One camera is permanently on the back of the truck and the other camera is permanently on the back of the trailer. I switch bases (easy snap on/off) when towing or not. The trailer camera is powered all the time when towing. The truck camera is powered when in reverse.

A caution on these cameras is that they are "back up" cameras with a wide field of vision but not much depth. They don't work very well as a "rear vision" system while towing. See this thread for more discussion. https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...read.php/10650

For the monitor, I brought the wiring up through the dash and used a stronger mount arm than comes with the Garmin unit. I can provide more info on this, if you decide to go this way.

Rob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0508.jpg   IMG_0510.jpg  
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A thread on this subject started this morning over on the ford truck forum.
    https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...e-driving.html

Looks like there are several sources.
    John and Jean

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rob. You steered me in the right direction with the F159 so I checked out Garmin and ordered a Garmin NuviCam LMTHD ($300 new and about $185 refurb) and BC30 wireless backup camera ($130). Now, for just a little more than I was planning to spend for a backup camera I have GPS with nice 6” screen, dash cam that provides collision and lane drift warnings. The unit also supports up to 4 cameras. I’ll let you know if it actually works.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ended up buying a Garmin nuviCam LMTHD GPS Units (Certified Refurbished) for $189 and a new Garmin BC 30 Wireless Backup Camera for $130. I like the GPS unit - large screen, voice control, forward camera. Technician that installed my license plate camera did so at the same time he installed our B&W gooseneck, wiring power to backup lights. I need to play with the resolution because even things that are close seem miles away. The system will support a second wireless camera and I plan to add one once I get the trailer home. Overall I'm pleased with my choices

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gold Country Livin' View Post
    This might help. I saved this picture from somebody else's fix.

Attachment 10841
    In this photo, does anyone know which wires are what? The white and green are the running lights, the Black wire with the connector, plugs into camera, that leaves the 2 black wires, is that the camera wire that has been cut, one end is taped, and the other with the black and red leads will be connected to the running lights?

Thanks Mark......
    2018 GD Reflection 303rls (built 4/4/17) TST 507 TPMS
    1996 Ford F-350 7.3 Powerstroke CC 4x4 SRW John Woods Tranny (400 hp) 166k miles
    B&W TurnoverBall w/Companion 20k fifth wheel hitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone is using the alternative above to the Furrion, any feedback you can share?
    Is this camera just a backup or observation as well?

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast