Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Surge Protector Question

Yet another newbie question.

I have the 2600RB, 30 AMP, with the adapters to connect to either 50 or 20 AMP. Will the 20/30/50 AMP box I end up at affect my ability to use my surge protector in any way. Anything I need to be thinking about when I hook up to 20 AMP or 50 AMP? Thanks...
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7 V8

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would never hook up to anything less than 30 amp. You can damage certain things by not having enough power to run them, especially a air conditioner, more than likely you would flip the breaker on their panel plugged into a 20 amp. If You do decide to plug into anything less than 30 amp receptacle I'd be weary of using your air-conditioner? also running your refrigerator and a microwave at the same time may flip the breaker if it's less than 30 amp in the end always avoid plugging in anything less than 30 amp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And I would avoid plugging into a 50 amp because it's too much power going through your small 30 amp cord it may heat up and catch fire

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My opinion.

Surge protector protects against high voltage surges, so it should work fine.

If you have a 30 amp trailer connected to a 50 amp service while using a proper adapter, you shouldn't have any issue. The only time you would have an issue if you get a dead short between the trailer's connection at its breaker box and the campground. Each system is protected by individual breakers or fuses in the trailer. I don't think you can draw more than 30 amps total even with every system working.

Now connecting to a 20 amp with a proper rated extension cord you risk popping breaker at the shore power box should you exceed 20 amps. If your using an extension cord that is rated less than 20 amps you risk overheating the extension cord and causing smoke.

I plug my 50 amp trailer into a 20 amp plug with a extension cord when parked at storage facility all the time and at home prepping for a trip and pre cooling the fridge. When plugged into 20 amp circuit I only will only run lights, TV and fridge. I never run fireplace, AC or water heater on electric. Those devices are high current.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by avetraveler View Post
    Will the 20/30/50 AMP box I end up at affect my ability to use my surge protector in any way. Anything I need to be thinking about when I hook up to 20 AMP or 50 AMP? Thanks...
    You can hook up to 50 amps, the maximum the main breaker in your coach will ever let you pull will be 30 amps. More then that the main breaker would trip. No different then having a 20 amp circuit in your house and only plugging in a lamp. It will not affect your surge protector, again you won't be able to pull more then 30amps to the combined circuits in your coach.

However...The more important point is does this violate National Electrical Code (NEC) that is often debated. From my own interpretation I would say it does violate code as you provide no protection from the breaker on the pedestal to the breaker in your coach.

I have been to sites where the only power available is a 50amp socket. I certainly would't loose sleep over it as ten thousands of RV'ers carry 50 -> 30 adapters.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just remember surge protects you from surges coming through the line not a constant feed I still say if you're plugged into a 50 amp even with the proper adapters you may be overloading the 30 amp line because 50 amp uses 6 to 8 gauge cable 240volt and a 30 amp uses 12 or 14 gauge and is not designed to carry a 50 amp load

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ummm... if the OP has a 30 amp plug and cord on his trailer, then it IS safe to plug an adaptor into 50 amp (as long as it is not some home-brew adaptor). The trailer max is the trailer max. It will only pull 30 amps with everything running.
    It's like putting in a 10 watt bulb into a lamp socket that can power a 150 w bulb.......

And, generally, it is safe to plug into a home type outlet (15 or 20 amp) as long as you do not run big power items - microwave, A/C, etc. I can run everything all at once in my 2670MK (50 amp cord, actual draw 30 amp) while plugged into the garage 20 amp outlet - as long as I don't try the micro and/or the A/C and/or the fireplace. And that garage circuit has a few other house things on it too - mostly lights.

And to answer the question - no, whatever you plug into will not affect your ability to use your surge protector.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bry1956 View Post
    Just remember surge protects you from surges coming through the line not a constant feed I still say if you're plugged into a 50 amp even with the proper adapters you may be overloading the 30 amp line because 50 amp uses 6 to 8 gauge cable 240volt and a 30 amp uses 12 or 14 gauge and is not designed to carry a 50 amp load
    You are correct and I am not trying to argue with you. The breaker is specifically designed to protect the cord from the pedestal to the coach, this would be completely lost by using a dog bone. But just to be clear to anyone searching this in the future - AMP's are the actual electrical units consumed, volts are what push the power. Surge protectors only protect you from spikes in voltage (joules) so wire gauge is not nearly a contributing factor nor is the amps.

It should also be noted that 50 amp service is not really 240V, it is 120V on two separate legs 50 amps each - 120/240 volt split phase. Just two separate 120V circuits to their own respective 50amp main and respective circuits.

Since the dog bone eliminates one leg of the 50 amp service, the surge protector will continue to work regardless of the number of amps. The breaker on the pedestal won't protect your wire should somehow you draw more then 30 amps as bry1956 noted. In most circumstances the only way that would happen is if you replaced your main breaker with a 50amp ones and you could generate enough amps though the combination of the circuits you had.

Hence why it may not be to code and could potentially be dangerous in the right circumstances, the choice between having power or not power may be worth it to you. Like I said I would't loose sleep over a 50 -> 30 amp dog bone.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sande005 View Post
    And, generally, it is safe to plug into a home type outlet (15 or 20 amp) as long as you do not run big power items - microwave, A/C, etc.
    Your house is probably where people are more likely to get into trouble. Plug your coach's wire into a 15 amp adapter, then a extension cord, finally a 20 amp circuit in your house. The weak link is almost always going to be the extension cord, most undersized for amount of amps people use. The breaker does not trip because you are under 20 amps but the amps flowing though it because of either the combination of length or gauge is more then it can handle. It is common to hear of someone driveway surfing and melt the extension cord.

I carry a 10/3 extension cord for this exact reason, never know when you will be in a pinch.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSpareTire View Post
    Your house is probably where people are more likely to get into trouble. Plug your coach's wire into a 15 amp adapter, then a extension cord, finally a 20 amp circuit in your house. The weak link is almost always going to be the extension cord, most undersized for amount of amps people use. The breaker does not trip because you are under 20 amps but the amps flowing though it because of either the combination of length or gauge is more then it can handle. It is common to hear of someone driveway surfing and melt the extension cord.

I carry a 10/3 extension cord for this exact reason, never know when you will be in a pinch.
    Correct. Using an cheap, long extension cord at full current - say, 20A - doesn't guarantee you won't be under voltage at the RV. My Progressive Industries EMS will disconnect if the voltage goes below 104 vac to protect the AC appliances.
    Steve and Cheryl

2017 Momentum 328M w/Dual Pane Windows and 3rd A/C. Aftermarket mods: Titan EOH Disc Brakes, MORryde IS suspension and Reese 5th Airborne Sidewinder pin box
    2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn Megacab 4x4 DRW with 6.7 HD Cummins Turbo Diesel, AISIN trans, 3.73 axles and a Reese 20K puck mount hitch
    Call sign: AAØSB, Class: Extra

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast