User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Schwintek slide out

the bottom of my shwenteck slide out on a grand design reflection 27rl sticks out 3/4 in on the bottom on both sides when the slideout is fully retracted in. The unit is six months old and under warranty. I first noticed this last week. Before I noticed this the slideout was always even on all four sides when retracted.

I took the unit to the dealer today. An inspection revealed the rubber gaskets on all four sides are being compressed thus forming a water tight seal. I agree with this . The dealer tells me the shwenteck slide out can not be adjusted.

The dealer has agreed to put a note in my file about my concern that was brought to their attention when the unit was under warranty.

Has any one else had a problem like this. I have been playing phone tag for the past 3 days with a regional director fron Grand Design. Maybe today we can connect.
    Last edited by TucsonJim; 05-10-2017 at 04:15 PM.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From your description I am not sure if they are out-of-sync, have you seen this video? - Schwintek In-Wall Slide-Out System - Retiming

Event the folks at my dealer did't understand that you need to continue to depress the the slide button the few second 3-5 seconds after full extension/retraction. They also did't understand that partially extending can get the motors out-of-sync.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The sync is only for side-to-side not top to bottom. The only way the top and bottom alignment can change is if the spur gear slips on the aluminum track. If the aluminum track shows signs of slipping spur gears the entire slide mechanism has to be replaced and includes both sides. Ask me how I know this. [emoji53]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Huey
    Ky
    2015 29RS
    2008 2500HD Chevrolet Duramax

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Huey is right, "sync" is a left-side-motor to right-side-motor thing. Top to bottom might have slipped a tooth or two on the slide track as he suggests . . . or might have been set that way originally to get best fit to the wall when the slide is fully out. Before adjusting anything, check spacing around the interior trim with the slide out. It would also be of value to measure from slide flange to wall on the four corners outside with the slide fully out. If all these measurements agree that the bottom has to come in (or the top has to go out), then the two top or the two bottom spur gears need to be moved a couple of teeth on the track in the required direction.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Site Sponsor
    Kerrville, TX RV parks through April 2020
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had these issues with our bedroom Schwintek slideout on our 337. Parts had to be ordered by McClain's in Rockwall, TX. It took a couple of weeks, we were able to travel in Texas while waiting. The tracks had stripped teeth. It only took a day to repair when parts arrived- this was over a year ago, and we have had no further issues.
    AKA Steve and Lynne
    Storm the Black Lab
    Reflection 337 RLS vin 573FR3628E3300393
    2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Longbox
    6.7 Cummins, 68 RFE transmission
    B and W Companion, Air Lifts

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I talked to a grand design regional manager today. He told me what I was experiencing was normal. He said as long as all the seals are getting compressed making the slide out waterproof I am ok. I am not sure if he is correct or just trying to get rid of me

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sclarson View Post
    ...talked to a grand design regional manager today...told me what I was experiencing was normal...not sure if he is correct or just trying to get rid of me
    Not everyone who works on trailers knows what they are talking about. If you check around some forums and the BBB you probably can determine is he is blowing smoke at you.

You can go to the dealership and check some of the other Grand Designs and see if they close up tighter or not. I check my Schwintec everytime I retract it and the gap always looks large, but when I inspect with my fingers I find the gasket compressed and in full contact. The trailer has been in monsoons at highway speeds and shown no evidence of leaks.

Since this is not the hydralic slideout I would resync the slideout. My own experience was that I did not extend or retract the slideout properly. You are suppose to hold the extend/retract button about 3 to 5 seconds at end of travel so the Schwintec learns and keeps the slideout calibrated.

The procedure to resync is on the Lippert web site. What you do is retract the slideout about 6 inches from the full extend position. Then you extend the the slideout to the full extend position KEEPING THE EXTEND SWITCH ACTIVATED FOR ABOUT 3 TO 5 SECONDS AT THE END OF TRAVEL. Repeat this about 3 times.
    Foard County News & Sassy Schoolmarm
    Nathan & Susan Gifford
    Belle, & Danke
    53 days camping 8000 miles 2017
    2017 Imagine 2800BH
    '07 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax LBZ 4WD

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KatrinaAnon View Post
    Not everyone who works on trailers knows what they are talking about. If you check around some forums and the BBB you probably can determine is he is blowing smoke at you.

You can go to the dealership and check some of the other Grand Designs and see if they close up tighter or not. I check my Schwintec everytime I retract it and the gap always looks large, but when I inspect with my fingers I find the gasket compressed and in full contact. The trailer has been in monsoons at highway speeds and shown no evidence of leaks.

Since this is not the hydralic slideout I would resync the slideout. My own experience was that I did not extend or retract the slideout properly. You are suppose to hold the extend/retract button about 3 to 5 seconds at end of travel so the Schwintec learns and keeps the slideout calibrated.

The procedure to resync is on the Lippert web site. What you do is retract the slideout about 6 inches from the full extend position. Then you extend the the slideout to the full extend position KEEPING THE EXTEND SWITCH ACTIVATED FOR ABOUT 3 TO 5 SECONDS AT THE END OF TRAVEL. Repeat this about 3 times.
    As mentioned above, "resync" will do nothing to sync top to bottom, only side to side.
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by offtohavasu View Post
    As mentioned above, "resync" will do nothing to sync top to bottom, only side to side.
    Yes, I agree, but he is saying the gasket is in full contact. It may just be that it appears the bottom is not contacting.

When I have looked mine it appears the top is better seated than the bottom. But if you check the gasket you have full contact. I had the techs specifically checked those and they said it was fine.

I would resync and see if anything improves.

Top and bottom cant can be adjusted but not easily and I sure would want to do it without a bunch of people and confirming with Lippert. Cell phones are great because you can take pictures.
    Foard County News & Sassy Schoolmarm
    Nathan & Susan Gifford
    Belle, & Danke
    53 days camping 8000 miles 2017
    2017 Imagine 2800BH
    '07 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax LBZ 4WD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anyone used a slide lock bar (or bars) with the Schwintek system while traveling down the road like some of the older systems? I haven't heard much about Schwintek systems creeping open during travel.
    2017 Imagine 2500RL
    2016 F-150 Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 5.0 V8 3.55

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast