Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jking46 View Post
    When my 2800bh goes in for some minor warranty work in December, my dealer will be installing a slide topper for me. Just turned 71, not going to be on the roof!! I can still do it....just not going to.
    I'm only 64, I can climb the ladder and even higher, but I can't get over the top of the ladder to get on the roof. btw. . .we have the slide toppers
    Joe & Dee
    Ontario, Ohio
    2018 Chevy 3500HD LTZ Duramax Crew Cab SRW Short Bed Payload 3523#
    2019 Reflection 337RLS bought February 2019 Dry Pin Weight = 2,320#, UVW = 11,100#
    Hitch - PullRite Super Glide 2700 - 16K
    Bed Cover - Roll-N-Lock
    TPMS - Tire Tracker TT-500 (non flow thru)
    Rear Observation Camera - Rear View Safety model RVS-155W-FB (2400-2500MHZ)

2017 303RLS bought April 2017 / Traded February 2019

Map represents States visited with our 303RLS /337RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As you have, no doubt, found out, there are lots of opinions on slide toppers. They will not keep the wind from blowing water and debris on top of the slide, only make it harder to get off. As long as I can climb up on top and sweep the tops of the slides off or climb up on a ladder and blow the water, leaves, and limbs off, I'll pass on the slide toppers.
    The Capt and the Admiral
    Joe & Marilyn
    2017 Solitude 384 GK-R
    2017 F350 DRW FX4 6.7 PS, B&W Companion
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In addition to the debate on how you keep the tops of the slides clean, there is another consideration. With slide toppers, the tops of the slides are always in the shade. This makes a significant temperature difference to the inside of the cabinets and the trailer, since the slide tops do not have nearly the amount of insulation that the roof does.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Plus I get to inspect the roof every time I pack up to move.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We purchased our Solitude 310GK this summer. It doesn't have slide out awnings. I read through all these post about debris and wind/flapping but was surprised that I didn't see anything about rain noise. Our master bed is in the front of the 5er and the head of the bed is in the slide out. We were camping in a heavy rain (twice) and it is like having your head in a drum while trying to sleep. I was gathering information on toppers in hopes that it would cure the noise during rain events. When I spoke to our RV dealer they gave me pricing but said that they aren't supposed to be out when it is raining or it voids the warranty. Any thoughts or experience is appreciated.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Slide toppers are attached to both the slide and the camper itself. In other words, if the slide is out, the topper is deployed. I have not heard of the warranty being voided if used in the rain.
    Personal experience....my previous camper had a topper over the living room slide. Never had a problem in the nearly 4 seasons it was used. As I said in a prior post, I am having one installed in the spring.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have one of our toppers that's about 25 foot long and if the wind just right direction it will flap and make a lot of noise till we retract the slide. We have couple short ones 8 and 14 foot and they have flapped in the wind.

One evening it rained and the next morning I went outside to have my morning coffee. Nice and relax and little wind come up and 5 gallons of water dumped out my side topper and you guess it right on top of me. Now that will wake you up.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123