User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We too are considering generator options.

Is there any benefit to ordering the gen prep option for our new 5er if we end up with the smaller Honda generator(s)?
    2021 Solitude 310GK: Linen/DP windows/gen prep/slide toppers/king bed/EOH disc brakes/Cooper-H tires
    2019 F-350: Lariat/CC/LB/Diesel/DRW/4x4/Bakflip MX4/B&W 20K/AirLift 5000
    Other stuff: TST 507 TPMS/2x BB batteries/Victron BMV-712/Champion 3500 dual fuel gen/Garmin 780 GPS/22" Blackstone

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My understanding is the Grand Design does not do generator prep, It's done by the dealer.. My dealer quoted me a $140/hour and would not estimate the hours needed....A portable generator will use the power cord of the RV..... a transfer switch/relay is needed for a built in generator.... So prep package is no benefit for a portable generator.....
    2019 230RL Reflection ..... 1996 Dodge 2500 Cummins still pulling just as hard as the day I brought her home November 1995...3.6 Onan. 2 battleborns 300 watts solar, 1500 watt aims inverter....(Convictions are a far greater foe of truth than lies) {Nietztche}

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Blue View Post
    My understanding is the Grand Design does not do generator prep, It's done by the dealer.. My dealer quoted me a $140/hour and would not estimate the hours needed....A portable generator will use the power cord of the RV..... a transfer switch/relay is needed for a built in generator.... So prep package is no benefit for a portable generator.....
    Gen prep is done by the factory... the wiring, the control panel, the transfer switch and the fire box is installed. We were going towards just the prep with our order, the the dealer gave us a good price for the complete factory installed geny so we ordered the prep with the geny (have to get both). The prep is not worth the $800 factory cost if you never plan to use an Onan.
    Trailer: 2019 Solitude S-Class 3740BH
    Old trailer: 2016 Outdoors RV Creekside 27DBHS (Sold)
    Old trailer: 2010 Heartland Sundance 3300RLB (always leaked, then rotted! Layout was good, but build was junk.)
    Old trailer: 1992 Prowler 5th 27.5N

Truck: 2016 Ram 3500 Cummins Megacab 4x4 SRW Laramie Aisin
    Old truck: 2012 Ram 3500 Cummins Megacab 4x4 SRW Laramie 68RFE
    Old truck: 2003 Ram 3500 Cummins QuadCab 4x4 SRW Laramie 6spd

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bcdiesel View Post
    Gen prep is done by the factory... the wiring, the control panel, the transfer switch and the fire box is installed. We were going towards just the prep with our order, the the dealer gave us a good price for the complete factory installed geny so we ordered the prep with the geny (have to get both). The prep is not worth the $800 factory cost if you never plan to use an Onan.
    Solitude 3740BH & Reflection 230RL ..... Apples & Oranges..lol The tour guide at the Grand Design factory wasn't completely sure an Onan would fit in a Reflection...
    Last edited by Big Blue; 01-12-2019 at 06:25 AM.
    2019 230RL Reflection ..... 1996 Dodge 2500 Cummins still pulling just as hard as the day I brought her home November 1995...3.6 Onan. 2 battleborns 300 watts solar, 1500 watt aims inverter....(Convictions are a far greater foe of truth than lies) {Nietztche}

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbsah View Post
    We too are considering generator options.

Is there any benefit to ordering the gen prep option for our new 5er if we end up with the smaller Honda generator(s)?
    If you ever decide later to install a fixed generator you will have the prep kit there. It's not terribly expensive from the factory and about double to triple the cost to add later. If and when you sell it's an added feature that some people will want. My next purchase will have the prep.
    2020 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW
    Solitude 320X sold
    2020 Raptor 356
    2012 Primetime Crusader 355BHQ (GF's)

Rolling Along
    Walthourville, GA which is just outside of Hinesville, GA home of the 3rd Infantry Division
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My humble opinion from a mechanics point of view. But first - remember where you're talking about housing that generator. It's right below your bedroom. If....IF.....you're ever in the situation of having to run it at night, you might not get a good night's rest.

So.....from having to work on built in gensets on everything from a class c to a 5er to a toy hauler, personally, I'd never have one installed. Unless the person that installed the unit gave A LOT of thought to how to effectively service the unit - i.e a slide out tray or summat, plan on spending $$$$ just to change oil. And if there's anything else needing done, you'll wish you'd never had one installed. If a mechanic doesn't have access all around the unit, it's a PITA to work on them. Our shop rate is $90/hr. An RV dealer near us has a shop rate of $140/hr. That's why we ended up seeing those units. The last one was so bad (front compartment of a toy hauler), we mechanics said that the next time one of those built in units came in, we were gonna draw straws to see who gets the job! But.....as with most things in life, YMMV.

Tom

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GENESIS View Post
    My humble opinion from a mechanics point of view. But first - remember where you're talking about housing that generator. It's right below your bedroom. If....IF.....you're ever in the situation of having to run it at night, you might not get a good night's rest.

So.....from having to work on built in gensets on everything from a class c to a 5er to a toy hauler, personally, I'd never have one installed. Unless the person that installed the unit gave A LOT of thought to how to effectively service the unit - i.e a slide out tray or summat, plan on spending $$$$ just to change oil. And if there's anything else needing done, you'll wish you'd never had one installed. If a mechanic doesn't have access all around the unit, it's a PITA to work on them. Our shop rate is $90/hr. An RV dealer near us has a shop rate of $140/hr. That's why we ended up seeing those units. The last one was so bad (front compartment of a toy hauler), we mechanics said that the next time one of those built in units came in, we were gonna draw straws to see who gets the job! But.....as with most things in life, YMMV.

Tom
    Tom definitely brings some good points about access... On a Reflection you have to cut holes in the front storage floor for the exhaust, oil plug, propane line.. or use a sliding rack... To gain full access to my genset. I'd have to remove 2 dozen screws... remove front jack drive shaft.. lift out metal box... Some would consider this to much trouble. I don't.... Norm

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tom I just had my Onan's first oil change done at my dealer while it was in for other things. They charged me an hour labor only, I brought the parts. I was going to do it myself after reading the manual. The newer ones must be different because it couldn't be easier. The oil filter is easily accessible from below and the oil drain valve is right in front on top. Drain valve has a cool little hose that runs down to it's own drain hole next to the filter. Easy peasy
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GENESIS View Post

Tom
    Disagree on a number of points. It's an RV generator, not a contractor one. Much quieter but not silent. I had one in my Raptor toy-hauler and I could sleep just fine the times it was used. The air conditioner overhead was louder. As to service, there were access panels from below to get to the oil filter and drain plug. I changed my own oil and don't think it took 30 minutes and that's getting the creeper out and such. If it had to be removed that would be a job I suppose but owner servicing was easy.
    2020 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW
    Solitude 320X sold
    2020 Raptor 356
    2012 Primetime Crusader 355BHQ (GF's)

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I think Tom has some good points but from the perspective of someone who actually has one AND works on it, changing the oil takes no time at all and I can have total access in minutes as well.

We have slept with it on 2 or 3 times and it did not keep us awake.

Propane powered generators also require significantly less routine maintenance than gasoline or diesel powered units.

As Tom said, YMMV
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast