User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cummins Onan Generator Installation

Has anyone installed an Cummins Onan generator in a 2017 GD Reflection 303RLS [5th wheel].
    We are looking at the RV QG 5500 EFI series by Cummins Onan.
    We'd like to know how it fits and does it work well, any recommendations?
    Thank you G & M

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I have no idea if your front compartment is smaller or the same size as my 337 but we put a 3600 in ours. I could not fir a 5500 in without serious modification. However, I have seen a picture of a 5500 reportedly in a 337. I don't know how they did it because in our 337 (pre-auto level), there is a rod connecting the left and right front landing gear and they had removed it in their unit. I suspect auto level systems the landing gear must each have separate motors so no connecting rod? Anyway, they "hung" the 5500 from the top whereas I have mine on the floor.

Here are pictures of mine and the unit with the 5500 which may help explain what I saw and may help you with your planning.

Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That looks like a great solution. I have a couple of questions regarding the install. 1.) How much weight did this add to the pin? 2.) How do you fuel the generator? sorry I should have read the stats in your signature 3.) Did you install yourself or who installed the generator and set up the power to your unit? I am still trying to figure out how to power the main A/C 15K without having to go to a 7000K watt generator.

Thanks and details would be helpful.
    Last edited by 5 Happy Campers; 06-21-2017 at 05:38 PM.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The trouble with such units is the cost. Not every camper puts very many hours on generators within their lifetimes to where it's worth the investment.

Many go with the Honda or Yamaha 3500 watt inverter generators kept in the back of their trucks. They're 100 to 135 lbs and do best not mounted internally.
    Or, they'll go with a couple of Honda or Yamaha 2000 watt inverter generator linked together. They're lightweight at around 85 lbs. each.
    Right now, the hot brand is Champion inverter generators--at less than half the cost of the Honda or Yamaha inverter generators.
    What's nice about inverter generators is that the engines only run fast enough to generate the amount of electricity being demanded at the time--much quieter and efficient.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bamaman thank you for you insight. My biggest concern with a portable is whether a 3000 watt would have enough amp output to start the 15K A/C unit on my 307 MKS. Fortunately for me I have access to pretty good pricing on Honda Inverter generators from the company that I work for and would probably purchase one of the 3000IS models if it worked.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 5 Happy Campers View Post
    That looks like a great solution. I have a couple of questions regarding the install. 1.) How much weight did this add to the pin? 2.) How do you fuel the generator? sorry I should have read the stats in your signature 3.) Did you install yourself or who installed the generator and set up the power to your unit? I am still trying to figure out how to power the main A/C 15K without having to go to a 7000K watt generator.

Thanks and details would be helpful.
    The generator itself weighs about 170 lbs. By the time you add support structure and the additional hardware, such as the automatic transfer switch, etc., I'm guessing I added 200 lbs or so all of which goes to pin weight. My 337 is heavy at 13,500 lbs and a pin weight of 3,100.

My generator runs on propane so it was merely a matter of tapping the trailers existing LP line. Propane gennies burn more fuel than a gas unit but they also run cleaner and don't require any gas related maintenance so I liked the trade offs.

I had a Mobile RV Tech do the majority of the installation and I did some myself. The 3,600 will power one A/C and pretty much anything else. I have run the A/C along with the coffee maker without issue.

Good luck with your decision and let me know if you have any additional questions.

Oh, originally I had my selling dealer and 2 other shops quote the install at they all came in around $9,000 (including parts). I purchased all the hardware myself from online sellers and with the install labor including some other work I had done at the same time (installing and wiring my inverter to the power panel), my cost came in close to $6,500. It was a worth while expense for our style of travel/camping over portable generators.
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Honda 2000i generators weigh 46lbs each. Very portable. Have had them for several years. Haven't tried them on the new trailer 15k BTU a/c but they ran the 13.5k on the Jayco no sweat (pun intended). The nice thing about the twin gennies is if you don't need to run a/c you can run just one, very easy on fuel and very quiet.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had 2 Honda 2000 inverter generators for 10 years. I am 62 years old and got tired of lifting them in and out of truck bed. Looked at Reflection and 2 salesmen told me the Oman 5500 would fit. I didnt like some of their answers and pushyness. Finally got an honest salesman and he said the 3600 would fit the Reflection. So we went with a Solitude. Love it, I push a button and automatically can run 2 air conditioners. Next year when I retire from teaching we will be spending 9 months a year on the road. Cost was no consideration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dale & Penny Kennedy
    Central California

2016 Grand Design Solitude 321 RL #5754
    2019 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax/Allison
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FYI. My Oman is quieter than my Honda generators

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dale & Penny Kennedy
    Central California

2016 Grand Design Solitude 321 RL #5754
    2019 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax/Allison
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I was going to start a new thread with Pics.of my onan generator install... But after 3 hours on Photo****et I tapped out.... So just a few comments instead........... 1st.. This is not a difficult job. It does take a fair amount of time! I used a sheet of luan plywood to make a temp let, used a sheet of 18 gauge steel and a harbor fright metal break... to bend the box.. then some primer and insulation... tapped into the propane by installing a tee at the port for the grill.... Progressive Dynamics transfer switch behind the pass thru compartment. Easy install if you have a basic understanding of home wiring... I used the supports like the pics of Poppy's Onan.. Thanks again! Forest River has a generator air inlet cover that looks good, but wasn't cheap... all in all a fun project if you have the time....
    Last edited by Big Blue; 01-08-2019 at 11:53 AM.
    2019 230RL Reflection ..... 1996 Dodge 2500 Cummins still pulling just as hard as the day I brought her home November 1995...3.6 Onan. 2 battleborns 300 watts solar, 1500 watt aims inverter....(Convictions are a far greater foe of truth than lies) {Nietztche}

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast