Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Replacing usb port advice?

We have a 2017 imagine 29rl. I use a cpap and need a 12v power source for when we are without hook-ups. We thought about replacing the usb ports next to the bed with a 12v cig lighter power source (I have no tech knowledge in this area). Any advice?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am pretty sure the USB port is 12 volt so it is just a matter of removing the USB port and replacing it with the 12 volt auto connector. Only 2 wires to cut and splice into.

Rolling Along
    Now-Oct 2018: Prince William Forest Park, NPS, Triangle VA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My understanding is that USB port outputs are 5V. However, they probably run a 12V line to the socket, and have a converter circuit to produce 5V. Use a voltmeter to check for sure.

Dave

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    2015 Reflection 337RLS, #931, Built 6/14, Purchased New 1/15
    2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ SRW CC, 8' Bed, 4WD, Z71, Duramax/Allison
    11,600 GVW, 3,739 Payload, 16.1 mpg for first 21,000 miles
    Reese Elite 18K Hitch with underbed rails
    Amateur Radio KQ3T (ex-WN8PXF, WA8PXF, N3CKQ)
    Felines: Butter (Abyssinian), Cinnamon (Burmese, R.I.P.), and Harry (Orange Tiger Cat, Rescued from Sutton Lake CG, WV)
    2018: Visitor Center Volunteer at Prince William Forest Park, Triangle VA, June thru October
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My USB port failed last week and I'm replacing it. It is indeed wired into 12V and has a transformer that converts the USB voltage to 5V. I'm going with this one so that I have both 1.0A and 2.1A USB current at 5V, and 12V plug in sockets.

https://www.amazon.com/Tonsiki-Motor...2v+usb+adapter

Jim

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    My USB port failed last week and I'm replacing it. It is indeed wired into 12V and has a transformer that converts the USB voltage to 5V. I'm going with this one so that I have both 1.0A and 2.1A USB current at 5V, and 12V plug in sockets.

https://www.amazon.com/Tonsiki-Motor...2v+usb+adapter

Jim
    I think that's the one we were thinking of using. Let us know how the install goes.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2014 337RLS that didn't come with USB ports next to the bed. I would like to add them but I can determine how the small shelf/structure comes apart so that I can get to the backside to install the ports. I was going to splice into the wiring under the head of the bed which I believe go to the overhead lights. Has any one donr this modification before?

I would appreciate any hints on how to procede. Thanks
    Jack & Jacqui, Stongsville, OH
    2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS #292, HydraStar EOH, Kodiak Disk Brakes, Sailun S637 G rated
    2014 GMC Sierra 3500HD Duramax SRW CCSB

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    I have a 2014 337RLS that didn't come with USB ports next to the bed. I would like to add them but I can determine how the small shelf/structure comes apart so that I can get to the backside to install the ports. I was going to splice into the wiring under the head of the bed which I believe go to the overhead lights. Has any one donr this modification before?

Jack
    I added these to each side of the bed below the side lights just above the night stands. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dual-USB-Car...53.m1438.l2649 . I just tapped off the 12 volts going to the lights. All that is needed is a 1.5" hole saw some wire and inline splices. It took about an hour to put both in. Pretty easy. I can post a pic if you need it.

Jim
    2017 F350 Bronze Fire XLT short bed SuperCab, SRW power stroke Diesel, 3.31 rear end, 18" AT tires
    Demco hijacker autoslide hitch
    2018 303RLS VIN#: 573FR3329J3313328. Built 4/2017. Dual AC's, freestanding table/chairs
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post

Jack - On our 2014, we installed a 12V socket and USB hub in one of the cabinets near the stereo and used the 12v stereo wires to power it. Can you drop one of the lights in the bed area to see where the wires are running from? Maybe you could then drill into the panel and tap into the 12V wiring.

Jim

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BabyBober View Post
    Jack
    I added these to each side of the bed below the side lights just above the night stands. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dual-USB-Car...53.m1438.l2649 . I just tapped off the 12 volts going to the lights. All that is needed is a 1.5" hole saw some wire and inline splices. It took about an hour to put both in. Pretty easy. I can post a pic if you need it.

Jim
    Here you go...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1052.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	94.5 KB 
ID:	8977Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1050.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	8978
    2017 F350 Bronze Fire XLT short bed SuperCab, SRW power stroke Diesel, 3.31 rear end, 18" AT tires
    Demco hijacker autoslide hitch
    2018 303RLS VIN#: 573FR3329J3313328. Built 4/2017. Dual AC's, freestanding table/chairs
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BabyBober and Jim, Thanks for the ideas. I'll look at the area again. The bed reading lights are overhead and I haven't been able to determine how they are wired. The 337RLS has the bed slide out. I can see the wires for the lights under the head of the bed near the floor but I can't follow where they go. The dual port USB at least mounts from the front. I had been considering the single round style with the thread retainer from the back. I could see how I could get to the back side.
    Jack & Jacqui, Stongsville, OH
    2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS #292, HydraStar EOH, Kodiak Disk Brakes, Sailun S637 G rated
    2014 GMC Sierra 3500HD Duramax SRW CCSB