User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rolling Along
    Walthourville, GA which is just outside of Hinesville, GA home of the 3rd Infantry Division
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Questionable Design????

I debated where I should post this thread and decided that here might be appropriate since it might get more views and......IMHO......it's something each of us need to decide if it's an issue or not for you. So here goes.

When I went to drop off my 337 at our General RV dealership for some warranty work, I suffered a WTH moment when unhitching. When I pulled the jack stand pin on the right side jack, the dang thing slid completely out of the jack actuator and fell on the ground. Initially, I thought the ground was way outta level. But pulling the left side pin, resulted in the jack stand just going to the ground like normal. Long story short......after some looking, I realized that some how, some way, some where, the right side actuator had gotten driven upwards some 4 to 5 inches. The tech working on my A/C attempted a repair by lowering the actuator back downwards. But the first time pressure was applied, the actuator slid right back upwards. It did this once back at home while I was under the pin box.

B O O M! ! !

Naturally, I immediately ran out from under the RV and then proceeded to go inside to change underwear. The accompanying photos pretty much tell the remaining story, so I'll just pass along some commentary.

- Personally, in my particular application, the means by which the front actuators are installed is horrible from an engineering stress load path design perspective. IMHO, someone didn't do their homework.
    - I cannot say that everybody needs to implore my remedy. For all I know, I'm the only one that had their front actuators installed like they were. I can say that my mind is now at peace because my "design" is robust and is inline with accepted engineering design principles.
    - All of the pinch bolts were bent AND necked down slightly. That only comes from excessive tightening. Pretty scary IMHO.
    - I would suggest anyone reading this to do their own research on how their actuators are installed and your comfort level if yours are installed like mine originally were. Remember, there's a lot of weight on those front jacks. They have to deal with static loads (the RV just sitting still) and live loads (people walking around). YMMV.

On with the show:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jack1.jpg 
Views:	481 
Size:	67.5 KB 
ID:	8832Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jack2.jpg 
Views:	458 
Size:	90.8 KB 
ID:	8833Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jack3.jpg 
Views:	439 
Size:	59.9 KB 
ID:	8834Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jack4.jpg 
Views:	378 
Size:	86.1 KB 
ID:	8835Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jack5.jpg 
Views:	397 
Size:	81.3 KB 
ID:	8836

**** continued ****

Rolling Along
    Walthourville, GA which is just outside of Hinesville, GA home of the 3rd Infantry Division
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Remaining photos.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jack6.jpg 
Views:	281 
Size:	50.3 KB 
ID:	8837Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jack7.jpg 
Views:	312 
Size:	91.1 KB 
ID:	8838Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jack8.jpg 
Views:	305 
Size:	98.5 KB 
ID:	8839Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jack9.jpg 
Views:	286 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	8840Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jack10.jpg 
Views:	276 
Size:	82.1 KB 
ID:	8841

Tom

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Tom,

This is an excellent write up and a very simple solution to a potentially hazardous situation. Would you mind if I post a copy in the reference library? Also, you might want to send a copy of this write up to Jerry McCarthy in case the factory wants to pursue it further with LCI. If you don't have Jerry's email address, let me know and I'll PM it to you.

Jim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the heads up Tom. I am going to take a close look at my 303 and possibly do like you did . I believe the 337 and the 303 have the same front landing gear.
    Paul & Julie
    Cody our Australian Cattle dog
    Jack the Ripper ( our cat )
    2016 Reflection 303RLS
    2008 F-350 Super Duty

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Tom,

I'll be taking a look at mine.

Gene
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just looked at mine, they are the same design but no sign of slippage. Going to take a much closer look when we get back home next week as I carry two Honda gens in the front storage.
    Marvin & Marion
    2016 Reflection 303RLS
    2008 Ram 2500HD

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    Tom,

This is an excellent write up and a very simple solution to a potentially hazardous situation. Would you mind if I post a copy in the reference library? Also, you might want to send a copy of this write up to Jerry McCarthy in case the factory wants to pursue it further with LCI. If you don't have Jerry's email address, let me know and I'll PM it to you.

Jim
    Thanks Jim. And no, I don't mind you sticking it in the reference library.

Honestly....I'm not sure where the design issue would lie - GD or LCI. Personally - I would think the two would collaborate on a mutually acceptable design that would accommodate the design goals of both parties.

As I stated - when I saw what I saw, it sent shivers up me spine.

Tom

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have this model , but this is another issue that has dual responsibility in that while LCI made it, GD specs and selects the components used in their product.

Alan
    Alan and Kathleen
    2015 Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
    2014 Ford F350 Dually (Stormtrooper)
    2012 Honda Goldwing Navi/ABS (Land Speeder)

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shameless bump.

Tom

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Holy cow! One more thing to check the next time I visit my rig (20 minutes away in storage). My 318RST is almost identical to the 337 so I'm guessing my setup is the same as yours.

Thanks for sharing Tom
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast