User Tag List

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2018 349M trailer with the Solidstep in the front door only. It's a great step except for one thing. I store the rig in my back yard against a block wall and I can't deploy the Solidstep. I have to use the garage entrance since it has a standard 4-step aluminum staircase. That is useless if you don't open the main slide since you can't pass through to the front of the trailer with the slides in. I don't have room to open my slide very far so I'm stuck. Anyone have the 4 step aluminum on their M-class and want to trade? I'm in Southern California, Ventura County. Wishful thinking??? LOL.

Rolling Along
    Walthourville, GA which is just outside of Hinesville, GA home of the 3rd Infantry Division
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TerryZechman View Post
    I just removed my Solidsteps and had folding steps installed. DW had a difficult time raising/lowering steps into the door. Also I couldn't lower the steps while in storage because the RV next to me was close, which meant I couldn't get into my Solitude because the steps blocked the doorway.

Folding step retrofit looks nice and is functional.
    Terry.....who makes them steps? They're pretty nice looking.

The wife & I came to the same conclusion that some of you mentioned about the SolidStep. Nice idea.....but not so much in practice. The wife was pretty vocal about the potential for it being a head knocker and an impediment to just opening the door and quickly throwing something in the RV. I hadn't thought about not being able to deploy in tight quarters.

Tom

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are considering an upgrade to a Momentum and after a visit to the dealership last weekend. I realized the new 18 models with Solid Step installed no longer has the "pocket" for the folding step assembly. I inquired to our salesman to ask GD about ordering without the Solid Step. I just heard back yesterday that GD will not modify that setup at the factory, and the dealership says they attempted one retrofit and will not attempt another one. So......here I am wondering why GD would install a set of steps that cannot be replaced with standard foldable steps (I am a huge fan of the Glow Step). My wife and I both agree the solid step is not even a consideration for several reasons: 1. Worry about opening the door and getting a face full of step 2. Weight and deployment area are not an option for her 3. The mess these things would bring into the camper. Yeah I know we can sweep them off, but no matter how well they are swept, there will always be sand, or debris that falls out once mounted upside down.

My wife and I wonder if the designers at GD ever camp in the units they design? There are some things that just don't make sense. Now, I am not bashing GD, as I am the most satisfied with this brand and the customer service over any brand I have owned. I want to continue to be GD loyal, however this step setup is a very short sighted design issue in my humble opinion. And, has for now, prevented us from upgrading to a newer model.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are thinking of upgrading ourselves. If we were not able to change those steps out we will not buy another GD. No if's and's or but's. We despise those steps that much.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you check behind the skirting? My understanding is that the Lippert frame still had the pocket and it is just covered with skirting by GD.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @JCR GD on the 351M we were looking at, there was no frame for the pocket.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love those steps! Makes all the difference.
    Gene and Mona
    Space Coast Florida
    2018 F 250 Super Duty 6.7 Power Stroke Turbo 4x4 Crew Cab Short Bed / 2018 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    If you would like some steps that are solid look at the glow step revolution. We have them and love them. They have adjustable feet so they can be adjusted for uneven ground. They can be adjusted for how far out they come out for those tight parking lots. They are very solid and comfortable to use. If we upgrade to a solitude they will go with us.
    Did you install them yourself? Was just wondering how involved the installation is for these replacement steps.
    Gary & Lisa

2018 Reflection 150 Series 295RL
    Reese Elite 18k hitch
    2010 Dodge Ram 2500 5.7L Hemi, 4.10
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TENN22 View Post
    We are considering an upgrade to a Momentum and after a visit to the dealership last weekend. I realized the new 18 models with Solid Step installed no longer has the "pocket" for the folding step assembly. I inquired to our salesman to ask GD about ordering without the Solid Step. I just heard back yesterday that GD will not modify that setup at the factory, and the dealership says they attempted one retrofit and will not attempt another one. So......here I am wondering why GD would install a set of steps that cannot be replaced with standard foldable steps (I am a huge fan of the Glow Step). My wife and I both agree the solid step is not even a consideration for several reasons: 1. Worry about opening the door and getting a face full of step 2. Weight and deployment area are not an option for her 3. The mess these things would bring into the camper. Yeah I know we can sweep them off, but no matter how well they are swept, there will always be sand, or debris that falls out once mounted upside down.

My wife and I wonder if the designers at GD ever camp in the units they design? There are some things that just don't make sense. Now, I am not bashing GD, as I am the most satisfied with this brand and the customer service over any brand I have owned. I want to continue to be GD loyal, however this step setup is a very short sighted design issue in my humble opinion. And, has for now, prevented us from upgrading to a newer model.
    As this is potentially an important issue and there are many of us who agree with this feedback, I shared this thread with Bill Martin for review and feedback to get it right from the factory.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @TENN22
    Thank you for your post. I wanted to clarify that the steps can be replaced with foldable style steps. The stepwell box where the traditional pull out style steps used to go is still included on the frame for both the Momentum and Solitude product lines. It is simply hidden behind the skirt metal which can very easily be trimmed away to expose the step box. From there, the steps of your choice can be added as an aftermarket addition.

Quote Originally Posted by TENN22 View Post

Bill is no longer with Grand Design. Please contact Tom Holt.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast