Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Scarlett,

Hi I just went though this myself a month ago. I too was torn between both models. Next I turned to the math. So, in your case your payload capacity of your truck is 1784 lbs. The first thing you need to do is subtract your husband and your granddaughters weight along with own. For this example i will use 450 lbs, just adjust accordingly. so 1784-450 = 1334 lbs still available. Next we have to subtract the tongue weight, GD publishes it at 584 lbs, but all the manufactures usually publish low, the one I looked at was 634 lbs. Second you have to remember that the published weight is for a unloaded trailer. Yours would weigh much more when loaded out. You have a huge storage compartment right behind the tongue. Anything loaded in there will transfer weight to the tow vehicle. 775 lbs seems more realistic so that leaves us 559 lbs, from that you need to subtract the weight of the hitch head, mine weighs 48 lbs. Down to 511 lbs now, next you have to subtract anything in the bed of the truck, tools, gear, etc I will use 50 lbs for this example. Brings us 461 lbs. Next any weight in the cab of the truck, coolers, snacks, purses, tablets, firearms etc, lets use 40 lbs brings us to 421 lbs. Next did you add anything after market to the truck, tow mirrors, wheel liners, bug deflectors, i will use 10 lbs assuming you just add tow mirrors That brings us to 411 lbs. Yes the F-150 in this example would be under its GVWR. However what type of safety factor do you want. In this case you are at 94% capacity at all times (6589/7000 x 100). For me I wanted more than a 10% safety factor. I really liked the 2600RB but wanted a greater safety factor for my family so opted for the 2150RB which gives me that. I also wanted the ability to haul water if boon docking. I also wanted to leave myself the room weight wise, that I could tow anywhere In this great country of ours. Also in this example if you added 2 adults as passengers you most likely would be over. I wanted that also in case we ever bring guests, for a short jaunt camping trip. Good Luck in your decision it is never as easy as one would like it to be. ; )
    Last edited by TripleG; 07-06-2017 at 09:47 AM.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great points and the best it has been explained yet. We like both floor plans, the theater seating is nice but not a must have. Also we would have two dogs with us, they weigh about 110lbs total. That further decreases the safety factor that you mentioned and that I've seen numerous other places. I've seen some say a minimum of 15% safety factor. What hitch did you wind up using? What tow vehicle are you using? Most importantly, how do you like the 2150 so far and have you had any issues? Thanks for the response.
    Last edited by Scarlett; 07-06-2017 at 06:40 PM.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My tow vehicle is very similar to your, we have a 2017 F150 crew cab FX4. My payload capacity is 1800lbs. After I ran the math the 2150RB was the only one I would tow with this vehicle. So for me no regrets or second guessing. I want the safety factor and a stress free tow. I learned the hard way and was towing our first travel trailer a 3200lb coachmen with a Mariner. I had a 1% safety factor. I use to even weigh napkins. LOL. Anyway towed ok on good days, until we got caught in a good wind storm. That is when my wife started praying to Jesus and i was squeezing the wheel so hard my fingers hurt. That is when i realised that i had put my family at risk , others on the road at risk and decided that if i made it home, that I would never put my family in such a dangerous situation ever again. I would have pulled over and stopped if their was such a place. Only the highway, windmills, and a endless stream of holiday travelers. That was our last tow with the Mariner and the small single axle camper.

We absolutely love out 2150RB and are hoping it is our forever camper. It tows real nice We have a bratty Golden 70lbs too. I have the Blue Ox swaypro, love it but it is expensive. I have heard lots good about the equalizer brand hitch. Good luck let me know what you get!
    Last edited by TripleG; 07-07-2017 at 03:23 AM.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scarlett do me a favor next time you at the dealer look at the slide when they run it out, see my question posted several below yours in the main thread first time slide operation. Thanks

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will do TripleG. I'll try and go by this weekend and aggrevate them some more. I'll video the operation if they'll operate it for me. I'll post my husband outside and I'll be inside. The dealer is only about a half hour from the house. Thanks again for replying.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarlett View Post
    I've emailed grand design to get their opinion as well. Have a safe Fourth of July and thanks for the response.
    Would love to hear if GD offered their opinion, and if so what is is. Thanks.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your interest in the Imagine! We recommend that you check with your local dealer regarding towing capabilities. Following is a link to the specs for the 2600RB including UVW and GVWR ratings:

https://www.granddesignrv.com/showro...orplans/2600rb

Thanks!
    GD Logo

Melinda Scheuneman – Marketing Manager
    Mobile: 574.370.4287 | Office: 574.825.8000 x. 3315
    11333 County Road 2, Middlebury, IN 46540

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Their dealer says I can tow the 2500RL or 2600RB. I know that I can tow the 2600RB or 2500RL but not comfortably or effectively if there is any substantial incline involved. Both of those TT would be less than 10% safety factor as well which makes either a no for us. Just because you can tow something doesn't mean you should.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guys, just headed out, stopped at the scale. 6520lb for the truck, which includes us, our gear and the trailer tongue. Still well below 7000, but was hoping to be lower. 12200 combined. I am glad I opted for the 2150RB. I am below all limits and it tows well. 430 miles yesterday 65 to 70 mph no problems, wind was about 10mph so not really an issue, did feel a gust or too.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am fully loaded, and have allot of gear stored in the basement storage. Also truck loaded including a spin washer. I might shuffle some more gear to inside, still have room. I would like to be at 6200lbs, but I still have options.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast