Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi wstcoaster07, The blue ox sway pro manual still says 0 to 1" above for ball height (just checked online). It does talk about Ram owners to set to 2" above (I have a F-150). When I called Blue Ox and explained my situation they said I could go to 2" above. When I explained to the that I was already 2.5" above at the lowest setting, that is when they gave me the go ahead to trim down my shank. I am back to 24.5" which for me works out to 1" above ball height, and is ideal. Plus with the trimmed down shank I don't have to worry about bottoming out or interfering with my safety chains. I usually set to the 9th link and have noticed what klenger has stated about the 90 deg twist, it did not tow as well when I went on the "even" 10th link position and may very well be cause by the induced twist that klenger has pointed out. At the time I just assumed too much pre-load on the bars and went back to the 9th. Looking back I think klenger may be on to something. I will keep this trick in mind. I just picked up the 1000 lb bars which I have yet to use. My tongue is about 690 lbs, but I am carrying close to 200 lbs in my bed. Although 70 lbs of that is forward of the rear axle. Great info thanks for sharing. I know I mentioned it earlier but a bought a 18" ratcheting breaker bar from Harbor Freight that combined with a 1" socket is way better than the piece of crap that Blue Ox claims to be a wrench. Skinned my knuckles once, you wonder how a company can build a premium hitch and then give you a 1$ part as a wrench.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the tip on the breaker bar and 1" socket, im going to try that out next weekend.
    Im using a 23.5' ball height and the 11th link on 1k bars for 920# of tongue weight. It worked well with a 24.75 ball height but I find the 23.5 slightly nicer (although it is such a small difference it is probably in my head)
    Im definitely going to shave off the bottom of the shank like you did. BlueOx was nice enough to send me the smaller shank after I bought the larger one based on their website recommendations. The clearance is a safe amount now but it does interfere with the safety chains a little. Did you just use a hacksaw or did you bring out somewhere to get trimmed down?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, one more odd thing with my setup. Using the 11th link made it tough to unlock one of the sides based on the direction the latch rotated. It's hard to describe without a drawing but the angle on the chain created a downward force that kind of held the latch from unlocking in a clockwise twist until about 90-110 degrees of rotation. Unlike the other side that only took about 45 degrees before it would "snap" loose. (Easier to understand for those who own the blueOx). To fix.the problem I moved the latch back about another 1/8-1/4" beyond the 29" recommended.
    Have you seen a way to grease the rotating latch? It's such a small gap between the two metal sides that I don't know how to lubricate it effectively and in a non-disasterously messy way haha.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi wstcoaster07, I used a paint stick and a square to mark a straight line on all sides of the shank where i wanted to cut. Then I used an angle grinder to cut through. I don't think you could use a hacksaw unless you are superman. I made sure to use eye protection and gloves. I used some scrap wood to support the shank, I took my time and let the angle grinder slowly work its way thru flipping as needed. Took about ten minutes but came out great. Then I primed and painted the bottom of the shank. Could not be more happier.

I use WD-40 to lube my cams and the release pin, I spray them down heavy and work it in. This pin is what I have have had trouble with before. If you can't pull it out then you can't release the cam. Although, as you already know you have to take up tension with the breaker bar before you can pull the pin. WD-40 does not last for long but it is easy to apply and not as messy as greasing. I had to shift my cams maybe a 1/4 inch to get true perpendicular on the chains when cocked. 29 inch is a close guide line I guess. Let me know how you like the breaker bar trick, safe travels.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also forgot to mention it seems funny that Blue Ox jumps from a 2 hole to a 7 hole. Seems like they should offer a 4 to 5 hole. Strange.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want to cut the shank, do yourself a favor and rent or borrow a port-a-band saw.
    2018 Reflection 315RLTS
    2013 F350 Ultimate Lariat PSD/CC/LB/FX4

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well we waited a little longer than we anticipated and Grand Design came out with the 2250RK. We do our walkthrough and pick it up next Friday. We took all the advice found on this forum...went to three or four RV shows, spent a lot of time in the two models we narrowed it down to. We opted for this model because we could get theatre seating and two entry doors. Trailer is about a foot longer than the 2150RB and just a bit heavier but not as long or heavy as the 2600RB. Thanks for all the advice found in this thread and many others on this forum.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sweet, I saw the floor plan last month. What a great unit. Perfect size! Safe Travels to you guys. Let us know how you like it. How did your rental tow last year? What type of hitch our you guys going with?

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Went well. Wound up using a friends Coleman camper with near exact specs. Blue ox swaypro for the hitch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome. How great is that wall to wall bathroom? By far our favorite layout feature of our 2500rl.
    2019 2800BH
    BlueOx Swaypro BXW1500
    2017 Expedition EL XLT w/heavy duty tow package w/ Michelin Defender LTX LT275/65/18

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast