Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy Trouble getting warranty work done

I purchased my unit about 6 weeks ago. I have a few issues that need addressing. I am a fulltimer and purchased my unit in S.D. however I spend most of my time in Texas. I was told by one local GD Service Center that they would take care of them but I would have to drop it off with them and leave it for what comes out to 5 days, but factor in weekends (when service is closed, that would be 7-10 days in a hotel. They said 2 days to diagnose, 2 days to verify with GD that they would cover it, then however long to get any parts and repair. If I wanted to pickup the unit after the 2 days for diagnosing, I would have to pay for any parts then get reimbursed if GD warranties it. They told me that this is a problem for fulltimers.

A 2nd service center was very agreeable to take care of our issues. Call back to make the appointment. Leave a message and they don't call back.

Don't know if this is an issue globally with G.D Service Centers or just the ones I've contacted.

Sent a letter off to G.D. to see if they have a repair facility at the factory.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It does not matter what RV manufacture you purchase, this is a common problem for a full timer!

Even if you take it to the factory you will not be able to sleep in it while it is in their repair facility. Granted they have the parts, but they still have to put in to the repair queue, diagnose, gather parts, repair it, test it!! then have you inspect it.
    It might shave a couple days off of it. You have to weigh your options, driving to the factory location, driving it back to where you purchase it or picking a local GD repair facility.
    The problem going to a GD dealer other than where you bought it, they take care of their customers that bought from them first... same is true if you took it back to the place where you bought yours, they would take care of you before they would take care of a customer who bought somewhere else.
    Call GD don't email.... sometimes they will authorize a mobile repair to come to you, unless it is structural issue, tho you would have to pay for the repairs and GD reimburses you, BUT get a authorization first before doing this, or you will be stuck with the bill!!!

7 to 10 days is very good... I have read horror stories of taking the RV in and being weeks to months before it was repaired!!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I spent a few minutes reviewing the company website but I couldn't find something I was going to post. Maybe someone can find it for us but I thought GD used to have what I will call "a service pledge" that was specifically created to help situations just like this one for owners on the move, whether they were full time or just on an extended trip. Essentially they were establishing a commitment with their dealers to get these situations managed as a priority no matter where you were.

Am I dreaming that this used to exist? Did I just miss it on the website or did GD quietly drop this pledge.
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppy's 5th Wheel View Post
    I spent a few minutes reviewing the company website but I couldn't find something I was going to post. Maybe someone can find it for us but I thought GD used to have what I will call "a service pledge" that was specifically created to help situations just like this one for owners on the move, whether they were full time or just on an extended trip. Essentially they were establishing a commitment with their dealers to get these situations managed as a priority no matter where you were.

Am I dreaming that this used to exist? Did I just miss it on the website or did GD quietly drop this pledge.
    Poppy, I think that was in my user manual, but I don't have it in front of me right now to check. They addressed dealer responsibilities.
    Steve & Sue (pups:Sky & Sierra) Gardnerville, Nv
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS
    2017 Ford 350 CC 4x4 Lariat Superduty 6.7, Long Bed

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Check this out. I found it just googling Grand Design RV Owner's Pledge. It's what I remember.

http://www.rvbusiness.com/2014/10/gr...ners-pledge-2/
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Call GD and see if they have any mobile techs in the area approved. Sometimes they allow independent techs to do warranty work.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Send an email with your VIN detailing the problem to [email protected]. Then follow up Monday with a call to Customer Service at (574) 825-9679.

Dealers are generally useless as others have stated. I've had better luck installing parts myself, or pressuring for a mobile rv authorization unless it's a body work issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Alan and Kathleen
    2015 Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
    2014 Ford F350 Dually (Stormtrooper)
    2012 Honda Goldwing Navi/ABS (Land Speeder)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the replies. I sent an e-mail to GD yesterday and will be calling tomorrow.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most dealers will not want to work on warranty work in the summer months when they are so busy. Now if you bought from them they might get you in and out a little faster but I would not count my chicken before they hatch on that as well. I would try to find a small repair shop that all they do is repairs. Try to see if they will look at it quick like within a a day or two then use it until the parts come in then drop it back off. I would also call a mobile tech place as well. For the most part they will pay for the work but not the service call.
    David
    2018 Solitude 377MBS-R
    2014 Crew cab Ram Longhorn 3500
    Aisin transmission
    Firestone Air bags
    TST tire monitor system
    Atta Auxiliary fuel tank/toolbox

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by usroamer View Post
    Don't know if this is an issue globally with G.D Service Centers or just the ones I've contacted.
    6th year of full timing. Fortunately we have not had too many issues, most could be handled with a mobile tech. A couple couldn't. One time we spent 7 days in a hotel room with our 2 Chihuahua's, everyone was miserable. Another time I talked with the service manager explaining the situation. He allowed us to pick the RV up every night at closing and dropped it back off at opening. This was a straight up out of my pocket repair, no warranty, no extended warranty, etc involved.

I recognize that dealers get real busy in the summer, so tend to save up minor stuff till things slow down. I bet you would have no problem getting warranty work done in SD in January. You really have to just talk honestly with the folks. They want to do the right thing, but are sometimes overwhelmed.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast