Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You Also need to know that tongue weight go up quickly as you load your trailer. Anything in the storage compartment and in the bedroom storage will transfer weight to the vehicle. Add in the weight of the hitch head and some tool and gear in the bed of the truck and you will be quickly over GVWR.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a f150 ecoboost to pull my 2670 that I bought in February (but not delivered until May). I already had the truck. I worked thru all the numbers (thanks to the various forums that are very good about educating newbies). By the numbers I was ok (barely). The truck had more than enough power to pull on the flat lands of Florida and Georgia. Pulling power was not the issue. We only took a couple of trips, but that's all I needed to convince me that the F150 was not the long term answer. Now in a F250.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the 2670MK and you guys have got me scared to death.

I have a 2016 RAM 1500 Sport CrewCab, short bed. I have nowhere near the weight limits you are saying the F150 has. Mainly because of the rear axle limitation on my vehicle. The Ram 1500 I have has a Tow Limit of 8,070 lbs. according to Trailer Life Guide to Towing. I purchased the TT and the dealer delivered it to the camp ground. I'll be traveling home to Florida pulling it for the first time in December this year. Should I be looking for a new TV? I am a complete newbie.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SgtLip View Post
    I have the 2670MK and you guys have got me scared to death.

I have a 2016 RAM 1500 Sport CrewCab, short bed. I have nowhere near the weight limits you are saying the F150 has. Mainly because of the rear axle limitation on my vehicle. The Ram 1500 I have has a Tow Limit of 8,070 lbs. according to Trailer Life Guide to Towing. I purchased the TT and the dealer delivered it to the camp ground. I'll be traveling home to Florida pulling it for the first time in December this year. Should I be looking for a new TV? I am a complete newbie.
    OK, First off any "listings you see are "marketing theoretical" numbers and at not REAL . You have a known published GCVWR for your tow vehicle. Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating (GCVWR): The GCVWR is defined as the maximum weight of a loaded vehicle and its attached loaded trailer. Subtract the total loaded weight of YOUR VEHICLE from the GCVWR (that includes, you, fuel, passengers, cargo, etc). This is the rated max recommended by the vehicle manufacture for YOUR VEHICLE . Can your truck pull more? Maybe... Could you be overloading your engine, transmission, brakes, suspension, axles, frame, etc by being over? Yep, possibly... There is a standard, J2807 that the manufacturers use to rate the tow vehicle capability. You may want to read up on that.

Now you also need to keep in mind payload and what your vehicle can handle for tongue weight or (pin weight in a 5th wheel). You can easily be under tow (pull) rating but over payload rating on the vehicle itself. You can also be under payload and under tow rating but over weight for the hitch on your truck. A lot of trucks have a bumper pull hitch that is limited and you may need to put a frame rated hitch on the truck to get towing specs...

Bottom line is there are lots of variables and you as the owner need to calculate these things out and then decide if you are OK or if not, is your comfort factor OK even if over the rated manufacturer recommendations. Having blown two tranny's in my younger years that I feel could be directly related to towing heavy, I now take a conservative approach. Others may have differing viewpoints.

Jim
    2017 F350 Bronze Fire XLT short bed SuperCab, SRW power stroke Diesel, 3.31 rear end, 18" AT tires
    Demco hijacker autoslide hitch
    2018 303RLS VIN#: 573FR3329J3313328. Built 4/2017. Dual AC's, freestanding table/chairs
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cardsrule View Post
    I had a f150 ecoboost
    What were the specifics of your F150 TV, if you recall?

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rtraviator View Post
    What were the specifics of your F150 TV, if you recall?
    2014 F150 with 3.5 ecoboost,3.55 rear end, 145" wheel base, gvwr 7100, gcwr 15300, curb weight at certified scale 5400, payload 1750, tow package, blue ox sway pro (tongue weight 800-1000 lbs),

So, I calculated that I was within specs (maybe a little beyond payload). But when we towed from the dealer in Jacksonville to Savannah there was a lot of sway when passed by most any vehicle, especially trucks. The Blue Ox did seem to correct the sway quickly, but sway was still there. And that was empty so my inexperience loading the trailer wasn't in play. The 2 trips we made camping were the same. We plan on hauling all over the U.S. when retired and just didn't want to deal with just barely being able to pull the trailer.

However, the actual camping experience was great. The 2670 was all that we were hoping for.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problem with the 2670 is that most of the heavy cargo will go in the rear. Factory dry weights show a tongue weight a hair under 10%. So owners are starting out in the negative. Adding propane, batteries gear to the front will help, but having the fridge and pantry in the rear will negate that. Properly designed rear kitchen units usually have a higher tongue weight from the factory to offset the added rear weight. To get that the axles are more rearward, which creates a more stable towing platform. Having a low dry tongue weight makes the TT more accessible to 1/2 ton owners during the sale. It's after the sale that they find the handling issue. A 3/4 ton will feel better even though the TT may still wander a bit.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    OK - just got back from a 4052 mi. round trip with mine. Minn., over the PA turnpike to Lancaster PA, then on to the DE coast, and back.
    The truck: 2012 F-150 SCrew, 6.5 box, 4x4, Eco. Max Tow and HD Payload. 3.73 gear, 17" LR E tires. (sticker - 2166 lb payload) Firestone airbags (but didn't pump them up).
    Trailer: 2670 MK.

Initially had the Andersen "No Sway" hitch before the big trip. Bad news - had several incidents of small sway going 60 mph in a 25 mph cross wind. One incident of pretty bad sway, enough to kick off the truck anti-sway alarms. Determined that the trailer was at 11.5% tongue weight loaded for camping. That was WITH full water, as the tank is ahead of the TT axels. The Andersen is a very, very light hitch. Perhaps with a heavier hitch AND bigger/more batteries up front, I could have fixed the situation, but I elected instead to just spend the very big $$ for the Pro-Pride (Hensley) hitch rather than mess around with buying and trying other hitches/accessories that may or may not resolve the problem. The Pro-Pride adds about 150 lb on the ball, so that got me to about 12.5% TW by itself, with no water. Can't say whether it was the weight, the hitch, or both but there was no sway ever on the long trip. TW with the Pro-Pride and loaded for camping is about 950 lbs.

Never any "white knuckle" experiences, even in 30-40 mph winds. However, you could definitely feel the whole thing move when hit with a big wind gust. Was able to maintain easy driving the whole trip, although through the heaviest winds I did have both hands on the wheel, instead of just one. Almsot never any sideways "suck" from passing semi's - except once. A triple trailer FedEx truck passing me going at least 20-30 mph faster (and I was going 60!) had enough of a bow wave for me to go "Whoa!" as it passed. I maintained a steady 65 mph for the whole trip.

I previously had a smallish Jayco fifth (26.5 RLS), and this didn't tow quite as well, but it was still pretty good. Fifth was the same weight, but overall length behind the truck was 5 ft. less. The good news was the fifth put me right at max. payload but with the 2670, I have well over 700 lbs payload to spare. The downside was that after 14,500 miles on the fifth my mpg averaged 10. After the above trip, the average was 8.5 with the 2670MK. Bummer, one would think with less height, things would improve, but aerodynamics is a cruel mistress.

No extreme grades on this trip, except PA freeway type ups and downs over the mountains, but I had no issues in getting up to speed or maintaining speed. No issues passing semi's laboring up the mountains. With the old fifth, we did many, many major mountain passes out west, and it seemed like the pulling performance was unchanged with the 2670MK in that respect.

The only bad choice: wish I hadn't gotten the new Michelin Defender LTX tires for this trip. They pick up every rock in a gravel campground, and you spend the first half hour on the freeway hearing them throw the stones back into the truck.

With the 2670 my advice - load the tongue as much as you possibly can. Get a big battery, two would be even better. Consider one of the over the tongue bike racks (Lippert "Jack-It", for example), to add even more weight.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rtraviator View Post
    I have a 2017 Screw, 4x4, Eco Boost, 3.55, 36 gallon, 145” WB, Max Tow, 7000# GVWR Package, GCWR = 16,900, Curb = 5720, Payload 1434
    What year -
    Towing level -
    GVWR =
    GCWR =
    Curb =
    Payload =
    Make and Model of WDH
    How does it tow, how is it in windy conditions, would you rather have a different Tow Vehicle, general thoughts…?
    I have a 2017 2950RL and tow with nearly the identical truck. I have a 2017 F150 4x4 3.5L ecoboost. 3.55 axle with the max trailer tow package. Lariat with 20" wheels
    The truck is rated to tow 11,500lbs as equipped.
    Trailer has a dry weight of 7045Lbs. I haven't put it on the scale but estimate we've put 1000lbs of gear in it. Linens, fans, ez ups pots pans etc!
    The truck pulls it perfectly. Plenty of power to pull a grade, plenty of stopping power to come down a steep grade such as the Cajon Pass in Southern California.
    The 10 speed auto Trans paired with the 2nd generation ecoboost is a great combination to handle your TT.
    Fuel economy is okay I guess for towing nearly 10kLbs. If I keep it under 60 I can get near 10MPG
    Only upgrade I made was tire's. I put the BFG KO2 tire's to give it a more aggressive look!
    Hope that helps and happy camping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2017 F150 4X4 LARIAT 3.5L ECOBOOST
    2017 GRAND DESIGN IMAGINE 2950RL
    2006 LARSON 208LXI
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RODEARL, great to hear! I'm very familiar with Cajon Pass, I grew up in San Diego. I have the 4x4 skid plate package, which I'm sure added some weight, I put it on CAT Scales last week, full tank of gas #5720. The 2950 was actually our first choice, but quite a few people have scoffed at the ability of the F150, so we started looking for lighter rigs. Like you said, max tow of 11.5K and a GCWR of 16.9K - 5720 = 11,180. I don't think there is a lot of imperical data to support the 2017 F150 capabilities. Thanks again for the response!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast