Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By the way, the only difference on the front axle weight is the spring. You can easily change to the 6k springs after you get the truck, it will just give you a stiffer ride unloaded. As Rob mentioned with the 5th wheel hooked you actually will lighten up some on the front axle... while it is good you are looking at worst case scenarios will you really load up the 28BH to its max CCC? I can say short of full timing/ traveling for months, I can't imagine putting that much "crap" in out 303. I went through the same as you and planned for worse case scenario but now after. 2 dozen trips I am loaded up for a week with much less then max load... of course you mileage may very...

Jim
    2017 F350 Bronze Fire XLT short bed SuperCab, SRW power stroke Diesel, 3.31 rear end, 18" AT tires
    Demco hijacker autoslide hitch
    2018 303RLS VIN#: 573FR3329J3313328. Built 4/2017. Dual AC's, freestanding table/chairs
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim,

I appreciate your feedback. Given our usage, which is a couple big trips each year and a handful of weekend trips, I expect we will not be loading to the trailers GVW. The 28BH also has most of the interior storage at or behind the axles, and one large exterior storage compartment at the very back. As such it is quite likely that I can keep the king-pin weight below the estimated value, but I do want the ability to go to 20% GVW if needed to optimize the towing behavior of the rig.

Just to confirm with respect to the front axle, you're using the Demco (which has a factory-set pin position relative to the rear axle) and you saw a slight reduction in your front axle load when you hitched up to your fifth wheel? If so, that is good news.

Edit: added salutation.
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH
    previously - Reflection 28BH, Intech Pursue

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    We pulled our first 10K miles with an Andersen Ultimate with a trailer grossing at 13,990 GVWR and 3,100 lbs. pin weight per the CAT scales. We towed with a CC truck with 6.5' bed. It was a great combo. The new molded front caps are a lot different than the old, squared-off front ends of fifth wheels. As long as I was aware than I couldn't go a full 90 degrees (and who wants/needs to do that?), never came close to hitting the cab. The "lock" between the ball and coupler is VERY secure - no worries there. It sure was nice to be able to install and remove the hitch by myself - often with one hand! If it comes down to weight concerns vs. cab clearance, the Andersen wins. BTW - whether or not the ball and coupler are a couple of inches in front of or behind the axle depends on which way you turn the hitch and adapter. Ours was set up with the ball behind the axle and the coupler socket behind the kingpin to shorten the radius of the king pin (to avoid hitting the side rails of the Tonneau cover). The two positions made about a 200 lb. difference in the weights on the front axle.

Rob
    Rob,

Thank you for your observations and comments. If I went with the AUH, I believe I would set it up the hitch with the ball toward the tailgate. I would also run with the coupler socket behind the king-pin for the same reasons you mentioned. My question: When you used this orientation, what was your estimated trailer king-pin load and the observed change in front-axle load going from unhitched/hitched? This info would be very relevant in my situation.

Thank you,
    Steven
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by backtrack2015 View Post
    Jim,

I appreciate your feedback. Given our usage, which is a couple big trips each year and a handful of weekend trips, I expect we will not be loading to the trailers GVW. The 28BH also has most of the interior storage at or behind the axles, and one large exterior storage compartment at the very back. As such it is quite likely that I can keep the king-pin weight below the estimated value, but I do want the ability to go to 20% GVW if needed to optimize the towing behavior of the rig.

Just to confirm with respect to the front axle, you're using the Demco (which has a factory-set pin position relative to the rear axle) and you saw a slight reduction in your front axle load when you hitched up to your fifth wheel? If so, that is good news.

Edit: added salutation.
    Correct. I can't find my numbers at the moment but yes, there was a slight unload on the front end. We head out tomorrow for the week. If I have time I will hit the town scales again....

Jim
    2017 F350 Bronze Fire XLT short bed SuperCab, SRW power stroke Diesel, 3.31 rear end, 18" AT tires
    Demco hijacker autoslide hitch
    2018 303RLS VIN#: 573FR3329J3313328. Built 4/2017. Dual AC's, freestanding table/chairs
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BabyBober View Post
    Correct. I can't find my numbers at the moment but yes, there was a slight unload on the front end. We head out tomorrow for the week. If I have time I will hit the town scales again....

Jim
    This is good news indeed. Enjoy your trip!
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by backtrack2015 View Post
    Rob,

Thank you for your observations and comments. If I went with the AUH, I believe I would set it up the hitch with the ball toward the tailgate. I would also run with the coupler socket behind the king-pin for the same reasons you mentioned. My question: When you used this orientation, what was your estimated trailer king-pin load and the observed change in front-axle load going from unhitched/hitched? This info would be very relevant in my situation.

Thank you,
    Steven
    Steven,

I went back to my original loading spreadsheet for that rig (337 and SRW truck). With 3,100 lbs. pin weight on the hitch, the front axle of the truck was 180 lbs. lighter than when not hitched up. That's with the ball behind the rear axle and the adapter in front of the kingpin as you are contemplating.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3769.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	92.2 KB 
ID:	9215
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3768.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	93.8 KB 
ID:	9216
    These are the weights from our rig.

The front axle weight didn't change at all... of course we're in a somewhat different boat... we have a long bed (with the pin centered directly above the axle)
    2005 Chevrolet 2500HD D/A CC LB 4WD
    2016 Reflection 303RLS
    VIN: 573FR332XG3305974
    2007 Ural GearUp Arctic

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Steven,

I went back to my original loading spreadsheet for that rig (337 and SRW truck). With 3,100 lbs. pin weight on the hitch, the front axle of the truck was 180 lbs. lighter than when not hitched up. That's with the ball behind the rear axle and the adapter in front of the kingpin as you are contemplating.

Rob
    Rob, This is great information and very helpful. The AUH would help on me on two significant fronts. Thank you for searching your files on my behalf. -Steven
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan S854 View Post
    These are the weights from our rig.

The front axle weight didn't change at all... of course we're in a somewhat different boat... we have a long bed (with the pin centered directly above the axle)
    This is more good information. Thank you. It looks like your king-pin load (2160 lbs) was about 18% of the GVWR for the trailer (2018 value anyway), which is also good news considering you had a nice load of fresh water (which is something I'd like to do as well). -Steven
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our front axle weight doesn't change either. We have a B&W Companion hitch mount directly over the rear axle.
    Jim & Georgianne
    N. California
    2016 Reflection 29RS
    2008 Ford F-250 Super Duty PSD
    B&W Companion hitch
    Rubber turtle with no name

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast