Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Light Chaser View Post
    Getting ready to take our first big trip with our Reflections 327RST to see the eclipse and want to make sure I am ok towing wise,,, Camper 34 feet long hitch weight from broacher 2130 lbs GVWR 13995 from broacher I remember seeing on the new tag that the camper empty weight a little over 10,000,,,I plan on towing light, so we took her to the scales and this is what the report was. Steer axle 4960, Drive Axle 5880, Trailer Axle 9020, and Gross weight 19860,, that was with a tow vehicle a for F-250 2013 6.7 Super Duty with 3 200 pound guys in it,,, Am I ok?
    The capacities sticker in your driver's door jamb on the truck will list the truck GVWR as well as the GAWR for each axle. I'd simply compare your measured axle loads against these GAWR values and your total truck load (4960# + 5880#) against the GVWR. That will tell you what you need to know about the truck.

As for the trailer, it would be nice to have a separate weight for the truck only (loaded with all of you and your stuff) so we could deduce the trailer weight supported by the truck and add that to the weight supported by the trailer axles (9020#). However, assuming the trailer axles support a minimum of 75% of the total trailer weight, it looks like you're probably well under that 13995 GVWR for the trailer. The sticker on the front-left of the trailer should have the actual GVWR and the GAWRs for the trailer so you can confirm your numbers are accurate.
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH
    previously - Reflection 28BH, Intech Pursue

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was discussing the apparent disparity between my estimates of front-axle load (due to the trailer pin weight applied at a known distance ahead of the rear axle) and those measured/reported on the forum with a friend.

(For example, having the pin 2" ahead of the rear axle-center should add only 25-50 lbs to the front axle. Measured numbers vary from slightly negative numbers up to a couple hundred pounds.)

Anyway, I guess the way you approach the scales might make a difference here. Rolling onto the scales and stopping without any braking theoretically gives the most accurate answer (and is an impressive feat). If only the trailer brakes are used to stop on the scale, this tends to lift weight off the front axle as the trailer pulls back on the vehicle via the pin. If only the tow vehicle brakes are used, this tends to add weight to the front axle as the trailer pushes forward via the pin.

So disparities in braking force between the vehicles may contribute to variance in the front axle load measured at the scale. I'll admit my impending trip to scale will be the first in 20 years, so I don't recall if the measurement is continuous and averaged for a few seconds or only taken once things have settled.

Anyway I toss this out there for your amusement. I shall be attempting a maximum-g stop using only the trailer brakes.
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH
    previously - Reflection 28BH, Intech Pursue

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234