User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Family Friendly Ski Resorts

Florida Family Needs Advice
    My daughter (husband & two girls, 7 & 12 yrs old) wish to go snow skiing out west in January. Looking for a family friendly resort with ski in & out. Any recommendations? They are open on location.

Thank you in advance,
    Kathy
    Solitude 310GK

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is a tall order.

Family friendly! All ski resorts that we have been to are family friendly. It's a closed environment. So as long as everyone in the family is into skiing then it is extremely family friendly, regardless of what resort you choose. Kick em loose, there only a few exits.

Then there are amenities, game rooms, heated swimming pools, etc. More research is needed, we just go for the skiing.

Ski in ski out. My advice on this one is compare what you spend for on slope and then take a look at public transportation. We have been to many ski resorts. Most have free public transport to the ski resorts. You'll just have to research.

Places we have been and what we know.

Ski Santé Fe, NM. Our first year of RV skiing we went to Ski Santa Fe. They had a January special, unlimited skiing to $150. Stayed at Santa Fe Skies RV, a real learning curve. Learned about propane, heat management, water pipes, sewer pipes, insulation etc.

Next year we went to South Tahoe. There was an Encore resort. Bus stop close by. This is were we learned about the Vail Season Pass. Like $600 for the season good at any Vail Resort. At $80-$125 a day for passes it's pays for itself quickly. Plus the earlier you purchase the more Buddy and Ski with A friend Passes you qualify for.

Third year was Breckenridge. Tiger Run RV. Pricey, about a grand a month plus electricity. We had difficulty keeping the RV warm here. Too many days of subzero temps. Enjoyed the heck out of it, but cold.

Last 2 years. We have spent at Park City RV in Park City Utah. We took temp jobs at the resort, they reimbursed us our season pass. We made just enough money to pay for the heating bill but didn't have to work too hard.

This year is up in the air. We have already purchased out Vail Season passes. Now we have to decide between Tahoe, Park City, and Whistler BC.

My advice, if you are planning a week of family skiing book a resort hotel. There are lots of deals to be had, particularly pre-season.

We have such great memories of our family ski vacations over the last 30 years.

There is a ski club in South Florida. We never belonged, but my brother in law did. I don't remember the name, the only reason I mention it is because they would put together ski packages.. Huge savings over going it alone. You'll just have to Google it.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks a bunch! They will be staying at a resort. It's hard to know what to prepare for when you haven't been before!

Thank again!

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've ski'd quite a few places, including Aspen and Europe. But for bang for the buck, we always would go back to South Lake Tahoe, NV. Most of the hotels there are mom and pop places and priced very reasonably. We also have rented condo's and houses through Lake Tahoe Accommodations a few times.

The Tahoe basin has so many absolutely incredible resorts, including Squaw Valley, Kirkwood and Heavenly Valley ski resorts. But we would always end up spending more days at Ski Sierra--originally called Sierra Ski Ranch. It's big enough to challenge us good intermediate skiers but not one of those monsterous mountains. And the view of The Lake from the top is absolutely incredible.

I'm now of retirement age, and have not ski'd since breaking both legs 9 years ago. But I really miss the sport.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,
    I have 5 kids (grown now) but we have stayed here a few times. Once you park your vehicle everything is within a short walking distance. We rented one of the rooms with a loft. You can ski right to the lodge which has a room to store your equipment so you don't have to lug it to your room. I've always gone in January and the snow has been fantastic (20+ ft.). It's a long ways from you but it might be worth it?

http://www.kandaharlodge.com/

Regards,
    Kevin
    2015 Ram Laramie 3500 4x4 LB Dually Crew Cab
    6.7L I6 Cummins Turbo Diesel Engine 5th wheel Prep
    68RFE Transmission Auto Level Rear Air Suspension 3.73 gears

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks a bunch

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember when I started skiing in the late 80's. There was this card called Gems of the Rockies that you could buy for $15 during early season in Colorado. It got you on the hill at member resorts for $10/day weekdays and $15/day weekends. Places like Loveland, A-Basin, Silver Creek, Ski Cooper, Sunlight, etc. I always think of the smaller resorts when I think of family friendly. The mega resorts can be family friendly too but the operational scale detracts from the experience, IMO. I like places that still have the occasional rope tow or Poma. The 6-seater express lifts or overstuffed gondolas/trams, not so much. To me, half of the magic of skiing is the lift ride enjoying the scenery and meeting new people, discovering how small the world can get sometimes - like the time I rode up with Jimmy Carter at Crested Butte. To me the smaller places are kinda like the difference between micro brews and industrial scale mega plants or the difference between back roads and interstates. That's my $.02.
    Steve and Cheryl

2017 Momentum 328M w/Dual Pane Windows and 3rd A/C. Aftermarket mods: Titan EOH Disc Brakes, MORryde IS suspension and Reese 5th Airborne Sidewinder pin box
    2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn Megacab 4x4 DRW with 6.7 HD Cummins Turbo Diesel, AISIN trans, 3.73 axles and a Reese 20K puck mount hitch
    Call sign: AAØSB, Class: Extra

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Luv2Ski View Post
    I remember when I started skiing in the late 80's. ... I always think of the smaller resorts when I think of family friendly. ... To me, half of the magic of skiing is the lift ride enjoying the scenery and meeting new people, discovering how small the world can get sometimes
    I know exactly how you feel. My hometown ski resort had 1 poma lift and one chair lift. Place called Mt. Werner. Named after a famous skier Buddy Werner. Skeeter Werner ran the joint and was one of my instructors. $12 bought an all day pass, rentals, and a 1/2 day ski lesson. The local high school had a ski club, join the club and school bus would take you to the mountain on Saturday and bring you back to the school. No charge to join. Later they put in a second chair lift, we though we had gone to heaven.

Even later a corporation bought the Werner's out. Called themselves the Steamboat Corp. Put in a gondola, put in more chair lifts, put in a high meadow poma lift. (We really loved that one). Fellow came along thought he was something else, used to wear a cowboy hat while skiing, called himself Billy the Kid. That dude was fast. We had a hoot trying to keep up.

Ok that was 50 years ago. The industry has certainly changed a bunch. I could grumble a bunch, but what the heck, I still love to strap on some boards and get crazy going downhill on slick stuff.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    June Mt, near Mammoth CA. Is an awesome family mountain, kids 12and under ski/ride for FREE! No lift lines, some slow lifts but also high speed quads, up to 10 runs per hour! You can wear yourself out if you're not careful. Look into it, if they have a good snow year it's unbeatable...

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    South Tahoe

Stay at the Tahoe Seasons Resort
    https://tahoeseasons.com/

Walk literally across the street to Heavenly
    https://www.skiheavenly.com/

Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast