Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Slide out awning on Grand Design Imagine

I purchased Grand Design Imagine 2600RB last Oct, after using it a few times and having to clean off the top of the slide out I decided to put a awning over it. The awning instruction stated to contact manufacturer of RV for location of backer board to mount awning rail. I called Grand Design and was told by a GD customer service person that the Imagine RV line were not designed to slide out awnings. This was a shock because can't think why the Imagine is the only line GD makes that are not designed for a slide out awning. Has anyone put a slide out awning on a GD Imagine? Was told be GD Rep that he had heard of using rivets to attach the awning rail and hardware to the RV.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a slide out awning installed on my 2150RB late April after getting tired of sweeping off the slide every time I used it. Just returned from a 3 week trip using the slide every day and have had no problems what so ever. I did have to adjust the slide once as I did not let the motors run 5 seconds or so after fully extending/retracting the slide. I don't believe the topper had anything to do with the required adjustment. I don't know what my GD dealer used to fasten the rail to the outer wall, but I can see they used screws to fasten to the corners of the slide assembly.

I would think the walls are connected to the roof the same as any other trailers they manufacture.

I too have never heard of a slide topper not being recommended. I also would have thought the dealer would have known if it was not recommended.
    2017 GD Imagine 2150RB
    2016 Chevy 2500HD LT 6.6L DMAX 4WD
    Equalizer 4 Point #90-00-1000 WDH

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bailer6334 View Post
    I had a slide out awning installed on my 2150RB late April after getting tired of sweeping off the slide every time I used it. Just returned from a 3 week trip using the slide every day and have had no problems what so ever. I did have to adjust the slide once as I did not let the motors run 5 seconds or so after fully extending/retracting the slide. I don't believe the topper had anything to do with the required adjustment. I don't know what my GD dealer used to fasten the rail to the outer wall, but I can see they used screws to fasten to the corners of the slide assembly.

I would think the walls are connected to the roof the same as any other trailers they manufacture.

I too have never heard of a slide topper not being recommended. I also would have thought the dealer would have known if it was not recommended.
    When I called GD I spoke to the one answering the phone, I will double check with GD to make sure. Thanks for your response.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any update here?

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Went to nearby dealer for grand design and talked to service man that actually installed slide toppers on the imagine line. He told me he just measures up 6 to 6 1/4 inches above slide box roof and mounts the awning rail with caulk tape and screws. He even showed me a imagine 2800 that he had just finished. As soon as I pickup some course thread screws I am going to install mine.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used a trifold butterfly rivet that had rubber o rings on it ,with plenty of sealer behind the rail

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I contacted Grand Design through email regarding a slide out topper for my 2500RL. They replied saying it was not recommended for the imagine and that it could affect warranty. They went on to say its best to just sweep it off before closing as small animals or birds could build up stuff that may affect the seal. In their opinion it is more likely to occur under the awning if it was there. Apparently animals prefer to build nests only in the Imagine TTs.

I suppose it might be true, I preferred the Imagine.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To Sunderwood,
    Can you tell me the specs on the tri-fold rivets you used, this is exactly what I am looking for, I am having a problem finding the right size.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you give me the specs on the tri-fold rivets you used and where I can buy them, this is the exactly the kind of fastners I am looking for.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought mine at little rock bolt , in little rock ar. tell david what you want

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast