Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Busy day 1 at the Rally. if you've been to the Rally in year's past you know the incredible food you're going to eat. So, one big breakfast to start the day. Great people were tapped to pick up the ball with Dave & Monica sitting out. How are they anyhow? We miss you this year, please plan to return. I heard you're up in Manitoulin Island now, how's it up there?
    Oh yeah, the Rally. Red & Pam and the volunteers have also been putting in the time to make sure all's well and a big thanks to them. There were introductions, news and notices and general info of what to expect this week.
    Next up, Don Clark and his cast of characters. More introductions and you get a feel for Grand Design is a family atmosphere. Don stated they have over 1300 employees now and I don't doubt he knows each one by name.
    A lot of what is reported below is from the Q&A session that followed.
    ** Disclaimer, I tried to take notes on some of what he said. I'm not stating here I have quoted Don exactly but I do believe I have the essence right in what he reported this morning. **
    Grand Design has grown without compromising standards to become the 3rd largest travel trailer towable company in the world.
    Vision for the company hasn't changed, it's not the size that's important but rather the great quality it's known for.
    They are now in the planning stage for an entry level camper "stick & tin" slang for such a model. Something aluminum sided for a first time buyer.
    Solitude line is in a new building and is coming out with a "little brother" model.
    Solitude to offer a model with a front bathroom.
    They have a goal to round out the towable portfolio, just about something for anybody in the market for a towable RV.
    Grand Design has bought another 36 acres for future expansion.
    Winnebego has not changed what GD is. Perceived that they have the same culture and core values and there are synergies to be gained; ie, 1+1=3.
    There has been no change in quality, GD is a stand alone entity. There have been no personnel changes, it is all GD people in place.
    Ron & Don Fenech are not active withen the company any longer but Don Clark speaks with them often.
    Don acknowledged service is a problem in the industry and GD is trying to lead the way in dealer accountablility.
    He emphasized they build these units one at a time. Quality service after the sale. Quality dealers, not quantity of dealers selling their product.
    There are 280 point inspection process on the line during the build, then each unit goes to the PDI center for repeat 280 point inspection. Repairs are made there or are returned to the factory for the repair. Then they again repeat the whole 280 point inspection process.
    There's a new pilot program of mobile service truck & trailer to go into the field.
    There may be in the future regional service centers.
    Regarding regional parts centers, GD prefers you go through your dealers. That being said if there's a problem there you can go online to see part numbers, but not a price. If the dealer is not responsive then call GD for assistance.
    Don hasn't ruled out motor homes in the future of GD. Right now though he considers it irresponsible to go there. Right now they cannot provide dealers with enough towables for the market.

If anyone from Grand Design is reading this, although not likely, right? This is post 41 of a thread started weeks ago buried in Campgrounds and Destinations. There are probably 4 or 5 of you out there that'll take the time to read this all the way through. But, if I've made an error that needs correction please let me know and I will. I haven't taken notes or written an essay like this since college.

As far as the rest of the day, a big big lunch. About 8 minutes of free time and then a bus ride to the factory. We toured the lamination building this year. What an incrediblly involved process! You have to be thankful it's GD doing this and not a vendor, the quality built in ensures walls that built right.
    Back to the campground and about 38 minutes of free time to view the 8 new units on display.
    Next up - Surprize! - more food. An incredible array of food by the campers here in a pot luck to feed 500 people. I'm not going to eat tomorrow, no reason to.
    Several campers shared gadgets and gizmos they have found to make life a little easier in our units. There were some great ideas shared.
    Finally, there were several campfires and small group get-togethers all around the grounds here. Socializing is what we do best. Just the fact that I'm typing this at 9:30 p.m. shows you this dude can't hang like I used to. An adult beverage and time in my recliner is all I wanted for the evening. Admit it, you've been there.
    More tomorrow.
    Tom & Nancy
    Newport, MI
    369RL, #302

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Appreciate the extensive note taking and well done summary Tom and Nancy......good stuff !!! I got tired just reading it.....good thing I am laying in bed. Carol and I have pencilled in to make the 5 year event next year.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Big thanks for the updates. We appreciate the time and effort you all put in to take, transcribe and post these updates! I wonder if there would be some way in future rally's to livestream the presentations to those GD owners who are unable to attend. We attended last years rally and I thought that was large. This years has got to be twice as big with 500+ attendees. Someone posted on the GD FB page a breakout of each type GD RV was registered and in total it was about 400 rigs. 2 people per rig = 800 attendees ??
    Keep the updates coming if you can.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a now Day 2 and guess what, more food, it's called breakfast. I decided on sustenance in leiu of dieting, so I ate. Then a little leisure time while DW sat in on an arts & crafts project. My job - hang the dark clothes load when the wash finishes.
    Whew, that was taxing but I got it done. Just in time for more food, they called it lunch but really it was a feast.
    That chore done it was time to burn some calories. No, not by jogging or working out, but something far more vigorous. Wife decides we are going to Shipshewana and goes into our "Mt Pleasant" envelope for funding.
    Walking through the Shipshewana Flea Market is to be considered an endurance race, not a sprint. Although I did keep an eye on the exit gate and viewed it as the finish line.
    After making the required purchases in things we don't need it was off to town to see more of what we don't need. After making several merchants very happy and closer to their retirment dreams it was off to the stores the other side of the flea market to investigate more stuff we don't need. Of course we cannot help every merchant retire his mortgage, send the kids to college and build that dream home in the Outer Banks, but we can come close.
    Finally it was time to do what we do best, eat dinner. Friends recommended a restaurant on the corner of 5 and 20, uniquely named the 5 & 20. This was a good choice and calories were replaced. We were met there by friends Jim & Cecille and that's always fun. I don't ask what remains from the withdrawal made earlier from the Mt Pleasant envelope.
    So it's time to return to the campground and do what is always fun - eat hors d'oeuvres and drink wine. Thank you to Grand Design and all the folks that supplied the great food and desserts. We even snuck a couple of cupcakes back to the camper in case we feel the need to eat again before tomorrow.
    We took a walk around the campsites to check out the night time lighting and decorations. There are a lot of imaginative people and cute decorations around here. We skipped the campfires again, unfortunately.
    So day 2 is done and in the books and again no seminars attended by this reporter. There is a lot of good information being given by the vendors and techs here. That alone is worth the price of admission. I've attended many in Rally's past and will before the week is out, just not today.

Time to close this missive and maybe do a crossword. More tomorrow.
    Tom & Nancy
    Newport, MI
    369RL, #302

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Midday report: Arts & Crafts are continuing and the DW came home with a new glass bead bracelet and it looks kinda nice. Have I mentioned the sounds of golf carts yet? Listening to those zip around is like a muted version of a nascar race, but with faster drivers. The GD repair techs are out every day, morning tell dinner doing multitudes of repairs, adjustments and general fix-its. We are very thankful we can get something fixed, even out of warranty. My furnace quit last Spring and I asked that it be looked at. The Suburban tech came over, diagnosed the problem and installed a new circuit board. That cannot be cheap. I told him I expected a T&M charge, that wouldn't be a problem. I wanted it fixed here, instead of taking it to my dealer. When I asked "how much?" he handed me an anode rod for my water heater and said "sorry for the inconvenience and having to come out". That right there paid for the admission, registration fee for the Rally.
    I sat through the appliance seminars for the stove, refridgerator, water heater and also the toilet. I've got six pages of notes and maybe I'll condense them for you later.
    Or maybe you can come to the Rally next year. There's some basic maintenance things we need to do to keep each appliance running properly season after season.
    We're getting ready to go on the bus to Amish Acres, an excursion to an Amish farm and a view into Amish lifestyle.
    More later.
    Tom & Nancy
    Newport, MI
    369RL, #302

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TNFSolitude View Post
    My furnace quit last Spring and I asked that it be looked at. The Suburban tech came over, diagnosed the problem and installed a new circuit board. That cannot be cheap. I told him I expected a T&M charge, that wouldn't be a problem. I wanted it fixed here, instead of taking it to my dealer. When I asked "how much?" he handed me an anode rod for my water heater and said "sorry for the inconvenience and having to come out". That right there paid for the admission, registration fee for the Rally.
    That is just amazing Tom! Maybe the industry is starting to turn and took notes from GDRV. Look how bad Lippert was. Not saying they were great, but in the past near impossible to deal with. GD comes around, stirs things up, and from a customer service standpoint, seems Lippert has made a 180 turn. Maybe not their quality, but certainly their customer service.
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of course one doesn't know what kind of financial arrangement GD has with it's suppliers to take care of these things at the Rally. Forest River does the same thing at their FROG rally. and many will not report great success with FR doing out of warranty repairs for those that don't attend the rally.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for providing updates and information. We are hoping to make the Rally next year. This year we still have a limited budget trying to restore our savings.
    Editor - www.RamGunner.com and www.MomentumGunner.com
    2014 Ram 3500 Tradesman/CTD/AISIN/4.10/4WD/CC/LB/DRW/VHF/UHF/APRS/CB/SCANNER
    B&W RVK3600 5th Wheel Hitch/Reese 30140 Gooseneck Ball/Gen-Y HDGH-604 Receiver
    2016 Momentum 385TH (Internal LAN/AV Distribution/Polaris RZR 800 EPS/CB/SCANNER/VHF/UHF/APRS and HF for World-Wide Communications)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Remind me to tell you about the auction at lunch of the two Grand Design logo aprons with funds going to Texas hurricane relief and Grand Design matching the proceeds and pass the hat giving.
    Tom & Nancy
    Newport, MI
    369RL, #302

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TNFSolitude View Post
    Remind me to tell you about the auction at lunch of the two Grand Design logo aprons with funds going to Texas hurricane relief and Grand Design matching the proceeds and pass the hat giving.
    Wasn't that fantastic? I heard we collected over $3,000 to be matched by Grand Design
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast