Likes Likes:  0
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TNFSolitude View Post
    Can you believe the Tigers have traded Justin Verlander to the Astros? The pitching corp is a wreck now, and we get three more "prospects" only one is a pitcher and he's in double A. Oops, wrong forum, be right back.
    Detroit Tigers GM: Justin Verlander trade 'necessary' to win in future. Yeah, we'll see. Here comes a 5 year rebuilding plan. That means 5 more losing seasons. JMHO (Just updating past posts here and didn't want to let this pass)
    Tom & Nancy
    Newport, MI
    369RL, #302

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim Hinkle, TucsonJim here on the forum, had a terrific presentation on what happened with his truck and camper fire heading home after last year's Rally. He details what was happening, how he and his wife reacted, and the aftermath. He shared how they got through this ordeal and how you can be prepared should the unfortunate happen to us while on the road. A video was made of his presentation and will soon be posted to YouTube. Now I have about 5 pages of notes when I figure he already has this presentation, why should I re-type everything he said when you can watch the video. He's going to post his powerpoint also and I'll try to get that for you.

Meanwhile, don't think it won't happen to you. Jim & Geannie didn't think about their truck burning up until it started on fire.
    Tom & Nancy
    Newport, MI
    369RL, #302

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, this is what happened tonight at the closing dinner a little while ago.
    We collected $3,565 by the apron raffle and passing the hat. Don Clark rounded that up to $5,000 and then stated Grand Design would match that for a total donation of $10,000 on all our behalf.
    Then he surprised us by stating Winnebago would then match the $10K for a total donation toward Hurricane Harvey relief would be $20,000.00!
    Again it shows the generosity of Americans willing to help our own when the need is great.
    More than please keep all those affected in your prayers.

Next, there were on-going 50/50 raffles to assist Dog Town, a local animal rescue agency known to do much good work. These raffles generated $1,015 and a rep was on hand to accept. She graciously accepted and explained how the agency has used our donations.

New at the Rally this year was a donation table where you can place items for sale with the donations dedicated to Northern Indiana Cancer Kids Foundation (N.I.C.K.). Northwest Indiana Cancer Kids (N.I.C.K.) is a 501c3 charity that was founded by a pediatric cancer family who live right here in the area. A lot of good items were brought in $350 was raised and will be forwarded there. Items not sold were taken to a local Salvation Army center.

We all know that campers as a group can be amongst the most generous people around, and this confirms that.

Awesome!
    Thanks to all.
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, this is what happened tonight at the closing dinner a little while ago.
    We collected $3,565 by the apron raffle and passing the hat. Don Clark rounded that up to $5,000 and then stated Grand Design would match that for a total donation of $10,000 on all our behalf.
    Then he surprised us by stating Winnebago would then match the $10K for a total donation toward Hurricane Harvey relief would be $20,000.00!
    Again it shows the generosity of Americans willing to help our own when the need is great.
    More than please keep all those affected in your prayers.

Next, there were on-going 50/50 raffles to assist Dog Town, a local animal rescue agency known to do much good work. These raffles generated $1,015 and a rep was on hand to accept. She graciously accepted and explained how the agency has used our donations.

New at the Rally this year was a donation table where you can place items for sale with the donations dedicated to Northern Indiana Cancer Kids Foundation (N.I.C.K.). Northwest Indiana Cancer Kids (N.I.C.K.) is a 501c3 charity that was founded by a pediatric cancer family who live right here in the area. A lot of good items were brought in $350 was raised and will be forwarded there. Items not sold were taken to a local Salvation Army center.

We all know that campers as a group can be amongst the most generous people around, and this confirms that.
    Tom - this is awesome......good to hear about the donations to the many in need from Hurricane Harvey from you all, Don, GDRV and Winnebago ! Seems I recall Dog Town being part of the rally in previous year(s) and that is wonderful especially to the many pet owners. With Carol being a Pediatric nurse and a cancer survivor, the donations to kids with cancer hits close to home for her.

Thank you, for all your posts over the last several days......good stuff !

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, where did I leave off. Oh yeah, I promised a refridgerator use summary.
    So, in 1860 in France the process to use a flame to make cold was invented. I'll bet most of you didn't know that. This has basically stayed the same as it is a gravity fed system using ammonia, hydrogen and water.The flame evaporates the ammonia liquid away from the water, this removes the heat from the air. It basically operates as a still, except you're not making alcohol. You can now followup on your own to further your understanding, consider it your homework.
    Now for maintenace of your camper fridge - don't put screens over the vents, don't let the dealer sell them to you, if you did have them installed then remove them. If you're concerned about bugs or wasps use a large dog flea collar on the exterior bottom.
    Clean the burners every two years, this may be a dealer item for most of us.
    Watch the campground voltage to never go below 108v, many of us have some type of meter plugged in inside. If there's a voltage problem put the fridge on propane.
    The fridge cooling system will shut itself off every 49 hours by design to defrost the fins. This takes approx 2 hours but will vary. If you're the type of person to continually monitor the interior temperature and chart your findings, get a hobby. But to properly check the temperature inside the unit put your probe inside a bottle of water, you will see the food temp varies very little. This will give you the most accurate readings. Do not trust the hanging air thermometer method.
    The ideal setting for food is at 6 on the panel, this will give you consistent 38 degree food temp.
    Keep the exterior ventilation area clean, there needs to be appropriate air movement. The baffles seen inside the top vent are necessary. Do NOT add an additional 12v fan to assist this process as it will hurt the fridge's design cooling fans.
    The clip on the fins is the thermistor, leave it where it was factory set on the 2nd or 3rd fin.
    The freezer section on the left side is colder than the right. This is due to how the ammonia is routed. Set your ice cream on the bottom of this section for best hope of hardening. Or buy cheap ice cream, that'll usually stay hard, (this is from the Norcold guy, it's in my notes).
    Their service # for assistane while on the road is 800-543-1219.
    Tom & Nancy
    Newport, MI
    369RL, #302

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We were fortunate to have an Indiana State Trooper visit and give a talk, generally helpful as "Rules For The Road". I'm sorry, I didn't catch his name. He was a very good speaker, adding humor at times to make his point.
    Most of this may seem common sense but you can't emphasize enough his key points:
    It is key to pay attention to the other drivers around you.
    You need to drive defensively, when towing these rigs we can't stop on a dime.
    Be aware of your following distance.
    Use your signals before turning, other drivers need to know your intentions.
    Use mirrors often.
    Have the right equipment if you do break down. Have either flares or reflective triangles to place down.
    He expanded on these points with examples.

What followed was a pretty good Q&A session, taking time to make sure all questions were answered to our satisfaction.
    He prefaced his comments by stating he was answering based on Indiana laws.
    In Indiana the posted vehicle speed limit is for us also towing trailers. We don't follow the trucker's speed limit. That being said we shouldn't be leading traffic in the fast lane, that would be foolish.
    On an expressway it is safest to be in the right or middle lane. We don't follow commercial truck laws but it's best to follow the truckers example here. Slower vehicles are to stay to the right, that's the law in most states.
    You don't need a CDL endorsement on your driver's license, even when towing over 26,000 pounds.
    Other states are supposed to honor your states driver license requirements, reciprocal agreement.
    AAA has a place on their website and can find all 50 states tow regulations. Also can google RV State Laws, or can be found in a trucker's atlas.
    Your best bet for a breakdown on any highway if you have no available help is to call 911. Explain your dilemma, your location as best you can tell, whether you're blocking lanes, whether you need a tow wrecker.
    From his experience the common cause of RV related accidents is driver error and one example is turning too tight. There is no common theme though to most RV related accidents.
    In Indiana there is a law to move your vehicle off the road, safely out of the way. Unless it's a serious injury or fatal accident.
    When detailing what happened to the officers on scene, please be honest. Teill the officer everything, and how it happened. They know your version won't match the other driver's version.
    If there is an emergency vehicle on the side of the road you are to slow down and move over one lane. If you cannot move over due to traffic it's understandable, but be sure to slow down.

Next was a discussion on gun carry laws. He emphasized it's best to research and know your state's laws and the laws of the states you will travel through. Some states, or even cities may not recognize a concealed weapon permit you carry or open carry laws you follow in your home state.
    Tom & Nancy
    Newport, MI
    369RL, #302

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well that was a fun week! it's going to be quieter not having the golf carts driving by, on their way to fixing someone's camper. We made new friends and renewed old friendships, and expect to do more of the same next year. There were quite a few new owners represented this week and that was awesome. Pass the word, this Rally is fun, educational and fattening like 4 consecutive Thanksgiving dinners.
    Remember, next year's Rally is Aug 28th - 31st and again at the Elkhart County 4H Fairgrounds.

With that being said I can only report that I'm 171 miles to Goshen.
    Tom & Nancy
    Newport, MI
    369RL, #302

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We couldn't get to the rally this year, but we did take a trip to Wendover, NV this weekend to check out some ATV riding. We found out that there is a Round Table Pizza in Elko, so we drove out there and got one, ate part of it there, then ordered another to go and brought them back to the trailer in Wendover to freeze. There aren't any in Utah.

While we were there, they were showing some of the flooding in Texas. The particular scene was a Grand Design Reflection and the people inside being evacuated by the boat pulled up to to the door. I'd like to know if they are forum members.

We have a couple of donations to our gofundme, and we'd like to send the money to them if we can find them.
    Editor - www.RamGunner.com and www.MomentumGunner.com
    2014 Ram 3500 Tradesman/CTD/AISIN/4.10/4WD/CC/LB/DRW/VHF/UHF/APRS/CB/SCANNER
    B&W RVK3600 5th Wheel Hitch/Reese 30140 Gooseneck Ball/Gen-Y HDGH-604 Receiver
    2016 Momentum 385TH (Internal LAN/AV Distribution/Polaris RZR 800 EPS/CB/SCANNER/VHF/UHF/APRS and HF for World-Wide Communications)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    k
    Quote Originally Posted by RamGunner View Post
    We couldn't get to the rally this year, but we did take a trip to Wendover, NV this weekend to check out some ATV riding. We found out that there is a Round Table Pizza in Elko, so we drove out there and got one, ate part of it there, then ordered another to go and brought them back to the trailer in Wendover to freeze. There aren't any in Utah.

While we were there, they were showing some of the flooding in Texas. The particular scene was a Grand Design Reflection and the people inside being evacuated by the boat pulled up to to the door. I'd like to know if they are forum members.

We have a couple of donations to our gofundme, and we'd like to send the money to them if we can find them.

possibly start a new thread, or maybe a different social media app like Facebook.
    Good Luck.
    Tom & Nancy
    Newport, MI
    369RL, #302

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim Hinkle, TucsonJim here on the forum, had a terrific presentation on what happened with his truck and camper fire heading home after last year's Rally. He details what was happening, how he and his wife reacted, and the aftermath. He shared how they got through this ordeal and how you can be prepared should the unfortunate happen to us while on the road. A video was made of his presentation and will soon be posted to YouTube. Now I have about 5 pages of notes when I figure he already has this presentation, why should I re-type everything he said when you can watch the video. He's going to post his powerpoint also and I'll try to get that for you.

Meanwhile, don't think it won't happen to you. Jim & Geannie didn't think about their truck burning up until it started on fire.
    Jim has now posted his presentation in the Reference Library; https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...nning-PDF-File Again, it's a very well done process with very good ideas on how to travel with a thought towards "what if" you get into an accident.
    Tom & Nancy
    Newport, MI
    369RL, #302

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast